Topic: Evil B and the high e string

OK, so I've gotten to using a double barre on the B.  It has taken close to 18 months of trying to stretch that bad knuckle on my left ring finger, but it seems to finally be paying off.  Here's the thing.  There is no way that I am ever going to get the high e string to be clear.  It is muffled and will always be that way. 

Does anyone care?

Does everyone have muffled e string on the evil B?  Russell excepted of course.  I'm sure his mutant fingers do it just right. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Evil B and the high e string

I find a practice session in the morning helps.

Zurf playing the bar position for a B chord dose not require barring the E string I only bar that string if I want to add the 6th tone of the chord in this case a B chord adding the bar on the E string is a short way to play the relative minor it becomes a B6 which is a substitute for G#minor and if you play a C chord barred the top string is a A so the chord becomes a C6 which is a substitute for Amin so if you just want a B chord leave the 6th string muted smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I user the double bar method as well. Over the years I've trained my ring finger to mute the high E pretty much all the time by bending the second knuckle. Of course I've never injured my ring finger as you have so that's sort of an advantage. Not a true B but good enough for me. I've got bigger problems than that when it comes to my playing!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

I've got bigger problems than that when it comes to my playing!!!

So have I, but the B vexes me.  It mocks me from the shadows.  I can't say for sure, but I think it's what has been taking the socks from my laundry, and I'm suspicious of its relationship with my dog.  I think it's teaching her bad habits. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

I've got bigger problems than that when it comes to my playing!!!

So have I, but the B vexes me.  It mocks me from the shadows.  I can't say for sure, but I think it's what has been taking the socks from my laundry, and I'm suspicious of its relationship with my dog.  I think it's teaching her bad habits. 

- Zurf

This could very well be!!!!! You're just way more tenacious than I am. Give up and be at peace with the cheesy version of B. You'll sleep better and your dog will thank you!!

Let Russell Harding mock those of us who make the cheesy B. He's way better a player than I can hope to be anyhow....

Elvis Costello

I do not mock thee my brethren I bask in the knowledge and am comforted that I have harnessed the evil B and slain the bane of mortals with gnarled appendages and have granted amnesty to all dwellers of this earthy realm for all time lol

Like Russell says, you do not need the high e. I don't know the theory of it but I have watched tuition videos which specifically say that the high e MUST be muted. I can't figure it out since you play it in an open A chord. Who am I to argue. Justin says you don't play it so I don't.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

9 (edited by dfoskey 2009-08-04 10:57:03)

I learned to form a full bar on the second fret with my index finger and a partial bar on the forth fret on the G,D and A strings with my ring finger to make the B chord. The high E is included in the full bar. Is this correct or have i been doing it wrong? Either way it always sounds good to me.

dfoskey wrote:

I learned to form a full bar on the second fret with my index finger and a partial bar on the forth fret on the G,D and A strings with my ring finger to make the B chord. The high E is included in the full bar. Is this correct or have i been doing it wrong? Either way it always sounds good to me.

That's the way I've been doing it, but my ring finger just doesn't bend enough to get over the high e, so the high e is muted by my ring finger.  My index does a full barre across all six strings.  I've got the full barre down OK, though I need more finger strength to really make it ring.  It's the barre on G,D,A that mutes the high e for me. 

With amnesty from Russell and validation from both sides of the pond that muting is not only acceptable but preferred, I'm feeling pretty good with my relationship with the B chord.  I can't get to it fast yet, but that's only a matter of practice.  One of these days I will mutate.  And then I'll need to work on scales and play those killer lead licks like Detman101.  I worked on them a bunch with bass and you'd think that would have helped.  You've have thought so...

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

That's the way I've been doing it, but my ring finger just doesn't bend enough to get over the high e, so the high e is muted by my ring finger.  My index does a full barre across all six strings.  I've got the full barre down OK, though I need more finger strength to really make it ring.  It's the barre on G,D,A that mutes the high e for me. 

With amnesty from Russell and validation from both sides of the pond that muting is not only acceptable but preferred, I'm feeling pretty good with my relationship with the B chord.  I can't get to it fast yet, but that's only a matter of practice.  One of these days I will mutate.  And then I'll need to work on scales and play those killer lead licks like Detman101.  I worked on them a bunch with bass and you'd think that would have helped.  You've have thought so...

- Zurf

Have you tried cupping your left hand and arching your wrist more to get the ring finger to go over? If you can do that then you could use your pinky on the A string. Then to get more from your full bar try using your middle finger on top of your index. Two fingers are surley stronger than one. I hope this helps you. I know if i had to play lefty i would have the same problem as you.

alvee in a open A chord the E string open is acceptable because its the 5th of A just like playing a low E in a A chord but on the barred B the first string barred is the 6th G#(or Ab) and it becomes the 6th or relative minor smile

alvee33 wrote:

I can't figure it out since you play it in an open A chord.

dfoskey wrote:

Have you tried cupping your left hand and arching your wrist more to get the ring finger to go over? If you can do that then you could use your pinky on the A string. Then to get more from your full bar try using your middle finger on top of your index. Two fingers are surley stronger than one. I hope this helps you. I know if i had to play lefty i would have the same problem as you.

I don't know...   Sounds like work.    Did you not see that I have amnesty? 

- Zurf

14 (edited by dfoskey 2009-08-04 13:58:07)

Zurf wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

I don't know...   Sounds like work.    Did you not see that I have amnesty? 

- Zurf

Yes you do but wouldn't it be nice to know that you have beaten the evil B chord completly. It's just a slight move that could possibly help you with all of the barre chords. Either way i'm glad for you. smile

I'll try it.  For you.  Because that's how much I care.

- Zurf

LOL. well it means alot to me also if it helps you but if it doesn't please forgive me. smile big_smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

alvee in a open A chord the E string open is acceptable because its the 5th of A just like playing a low E in a A chord but on the barred B the first string barred is the 6th G#(or Ab) and it becomes the 6th or relative minor smile

alvee33 wrote:

So I guess that if you can bend your ring finger enough for the 1st string to ring out an F# (from your ist finger barre) then that's cool. I'm starting to get a little evil tingling feeling from all this B talk.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

alvee33 wrote:

So I guess that if you can bend your ring finger enough for the 1st string to ring out an F# (from your ist finger barre) then that's cool. I'm starting to get a little evil tingling feeling from all this B talk.

Beware internet tingles!

if you add a f# on the top of a A chord its a A6 which is a substitute for the F#minor(relative minor of A major) if you just want an A major chord dont bar the 1st string or mute it smile

alvee33 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

alvee33 wrote:

Zurf - Ever tried playing B barring the 7th fret and playing E shape on 8th and 9th?  I do this when playing all barre chords and occasionally to add a different octave when playing mostly open chords.

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

Try barring the D - G and B string at the 2nd fret with your index finger and fret the E string 4th fret with your pinky. This is called a "Long A" by older country musicians. This is a movable chord formation. Move fingering down 2 frets for a "Long B'" chord, move fingering down 1 more fret for a "Long C" chord and so on.

With a little pratice this becomes an easy chord to make.

Nela

livebaitman wrote:

Zurf - Ever tried playing B barring the 7th fret and playing E shape on 8th and 9th?  I do this when playing all barre chords and occasionally to add a different octave when playing mostly open chords.

What is this mythical land of which you speak?  Frets above the fifth fret!  That's just crazy talk!

No, I have never tried that.  I may on my electric, but I have the action on my main acoustic set kind of high because I play finger style a lot over open chords and really beat on the poor guitar.  The slightly higher action prevents buzz.  I am looking to get another guitar (hopefully a twelve string) that I can use for strumming and will have a lower action where that would probably work better.  The electric has a nice low action, though, so I can give it a whirl on that.  Though I think I'm not supposed to say the "e-word" on the acoustic forum. 

- Zurf

livebaitman wrote:

I've done it and sometimes it works great but sometimes that octave is just too high. I find my self rearranging everything 1 octave up to compensate for the B. That can get goofy too. I'm concerned where it'll lead, 1st I'll only play the cutaway...eventually I wake up a heavy metal guy with leather pants and underwear.....scary

Perhaps i should just practice the B

Elvis Costello

Russell_Harding wrote:

I do not mock thee my brethren I bask in the knowledge and am comforted that I have harnessed the evil B and slain the bane of mortals with gnarled appendages and have granted amnesty to all dwellers of this earthy realm for all time lol

You are noble, wise and talented...the legend lives on!!!!!!!!!

Elvis Costello

yes all of these I am and the greatest of my traits is my humility lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol