Topic: most important part of a song?

I believe that a good song MUST CATCH THE ATTENTION immediately.
So:
1) the intro
but then? STROPHE? REFRAIN?
2) HOW TO MAKE A REALLY GOOD SONG??

I really am happy IF I succeed to play a disco song acoustic, or a heavy metal acoustic.
It is so different and yet wespeak about the same song

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: most important part of a song?

There's got to be something memorable about a song.  Sometimes it's the introduction, but often in pop, country, and rock music its "the hook". 

I have no idea what a strophe is.  Must be a Belgian thing. 

Playing disco on an acoustic sounds like an interesting exercise in creativity.  Good for you. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf my chordian brother, it is amazing to "exercise" disco.
I played I WILL SURVIVE, (Gloria Gaynor) or Hot Stuff (Donna Summer) and you can even will have a lot of fun to play an acoustic slow on The Village People's songs.
Also try to (based on the chords) to play the same songs IN ROCK style.
A strophe? I might have used the wrong term.
Intro --> XXX---> REFRAIN --> XXX

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Zurf my chordian brother, it is amazing to "exercise" disco.
I played I WILL SURVIVE, (Gloria Gaynor) or Hot Stuff (Donna Summer) and you can even will have a lot of fun to play an acoustic slow on The Village People's songs.
Also try to (based on the chords) to play the same songs IN ROCK style.
A strophe? I might have used the wrong term.
Intro --> XXX---> REFRAIN --> XXX

I spent my youth working very hard to avoid disco and have never regretted the decision.  While I applaud you for your willingness to try new things and stretch your playing by switching genres, I think I'll pass on this particular opportunity for self-improvement. 

I would call that a verse, but I can't say that strophe is the wrong word.  There are many musical terms I don't know. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I know and even between USA versus other British countries like Australia UK Scotland Ireland...
I only wanted to know WHAT IS USUALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A SONG.

My list: Subject to revision without notice and organized by the genres I generally listen to.

Blues - the hook
Country - the hook
Rock - the intro riff
Folk - storytelling in the verses

- Zurf

I think a good Chorus is important (as it usually played at least 2x's) and for me is usually what makes me remember the tune. I do agree with Zurf's storytelling in Folk though. There is nothing better than a good story from Cash, Kristofferson, Prine, etc. The story they tell is usually at least as memorable as anything musically they do. Amazing how they can turn a simple chord progression into a classic with a story.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

got some other answers here

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9433

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi doc
I think your right when you say a song just got to have something catchy up front.
For various types of music it could be different a rhythm, melody, riff, musical hook or even something vocal just something that makes it standout of the crowd..
Usually if there's something good at the start of a song the rest will follow.
ark