Topic: Picks Around the World

Had this idea and I think it might be fun. Just a reach-out around the world – a little personal touch for all the folks that correspond here on Chordie.

I’ve got dozens and dozens of guitar picks, most of which I will never use. Some purchased as  experiments, but most sent to me for free when I order something (every time I order strings, it seems I get some free picks). Anyway, I’d imagine that most folks have a pile of picks similar to mine.

So, I’m thinking I’ll put a few dozen picks in a nice padded envelope along with a form indicating: from / to / date. The first person to email me their address gets mailed the picks. That person would then post a message on Chordie when received, take what they want, add what they want and send it to the first person who contacts them.

I’m not trying to start some lame chain letter thing – No sending to 10 friends, no bad luck if broken. I just thought it might be interesting and fun to see how far and where a Chordie pick package would go.

So – the first email to me gets to start us off. Please don’t participate if you don’t intend to continue the process.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Picks Around the World

Cool idea Tops!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

OK - I got off cheap on the postage! I'll get the package in the mail to you tomorrow pix!

Another great idea from Topdown!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Very cool idea.  What fun.  It will be interesting.  Hopefully each person can put a little note in it about their home area.  Or not.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Maybe a little world map that we each can mark and connect the dots... That way everyone that gets it can track it's progress and route. Maybe even post a pic of the map from time to time here so others can see how it's progressing as well... Just a thought -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Pix, It may take a while with Pony Express and slow boats but I guess it will make it round the world eventually.

Later, Wayne P

Could we add picks as well. It'd be cool to keep it going. I have some unusual picks I'd like to add to the mix....Thoughts???

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

OK - I've got the package ready and will drop it at the post office this afternoon.

Good idea about the note / map. I think I'll play a little with google maps and see if there is an easy way to share. Put a placemark at everyplace the package has been and then the individual can add a blurb about their town if desired.

And yes geo - absolutely you can add picks to keep it going. Take what you want, add what you can.

Here's a link to the start of the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&am … =h&z=7

Neat idea, Interested to see how far it goes, I have a homemade pick I'll add if it gets to me.
With little explanation why its so big. lol

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Cool. How do we coordinate the emailing of addresses??? Should they all go to Topdown or what? Should the next person just send it to the person after them on this post

Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

Cool. How do we coordinate the emailing of addresses??? Should they all go to Topdown or what? Should the next person just send it to the person after them on this post

My thought was the person who receives the package would make a post to this thread and request emails to themselves.

i.e. - The package is on the way to Pix - When he gets it, he would post along the lines of "package received - first email (or 3rd or 5th or whatever gets the package). The emails would go to him.

I'll keep the google map updated if the username, town, state, country info is posted here.

topdown wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

My thought was the person who receives the package would make a post to this thread and request emails to themselves.

i.e. - The package is on the way to Pix - When he gets it, he would post along the lines of "package received - first email (or 3rd or 5th or whatever gets the package). The emails would go to him.

I'll keep the google map updated if the username, town, state, country info is posted here.

Excellent idea. Sounds like a plan

Elvis Costello

Ready to ship out! First person to email me with their address gets them next smile -Pix

This is a really great idea Topdown. The google map and hometown descriptions will make it that much more interesting being able to follow its progress. Kudos All.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Cam, looks like you're next! I'll have them mailed out to you first thing Monday morning.

I've tried to email you back a few times but for some reason they won't go through.... So drop me another if you can. -Pix

LOL - Picks Around the World is starting off as Picks around the State. The first 3 are all in North Carolina.

Cam - Please post or email me your town so I can add it to the map.

Hi Topdown,

I sent you an email with the name of the little community I live in, thanks alot!

Cam

Got your email and updated the map Cam. Kinda funny - you are on a direct line between me and pix.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& … =p&z=6

I was thinking that anybody could update the map, but it appears you must be invited and you would need a gmail account. If you would like to add a description of your town or anything on your placemark, I'm happy to email an invite to your gmail address. If you don't have a google account, send me the blurb and I can add it for you.

As an example, I just posted a photo of the park that I used as my placemark.

Also - I think it would be cool to get a comment from those that receive the package - what was taken, what was added, etc. So how bout it Pix - anything you liked?

20 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-08-09 00:16:55)

Well I can Honestly say now that Silver Valley is on the map!  Population 619
Thanks Topdown

Cam

topdown wrote:

Also - I think it would be cool to get a comment from those that receive the package - what was taken, what was added, etc. So how bout it Pix - anything you liked?

Tops, I tried all the different kinds and really liked the Dunlop Gator .71's I usually use Dunlop Tortex .73's when I'm mixing some flatpicking and strumming but the Gator .71's had a little more mellow tone that I really liked so I kept one of those and will probably order more smile I added several of the Tortex .73's and Dunlop Grey .73's that I use frequently along with a few misc. picks that I had around. Threw a couple of my gigging picks in there as well... They're just Dunlop Tortex .73's but I drill small holes in them to prevent slipping. The Chordie punch out pick cards were really neat also!

I don't even keep Google installed so I don't have an account but ,if you don't mind, I'll follow your example and send you the coordinates for our park that's only 2 blocks from the house so the map shows it. I play there often for the kids and can send you a pic showing it for the map. -Pix

Hi Everyone,

I have received the "Picks around the World" package from GuitarPix, so the next one to email me gets it next. I took a few, added even more of assorted picks, lots of nice ones to pick from. I just wanted to thank Topdown again for such a great idea!

Cam

^ Cool! - No thanks necessary, I did this for my own amusement smile

I hope it continues and at least gets sent out of state next! Let me know where it's going so I can update the map.

Ok ,

The next person is Badeye from Wilmot Nova Scotia, so it's on it's first journey out of the USA. Badeye, I sent you an email with a question about your address, as soon as you can email me back with that information I'll get it right back in the mail to you.

Cam

Map is updated. Badey, let me know if I got it wrong or if you want to add something.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&am … =h&z=5