Topic: A VERY DIFFICULT ONE

Not everything has to be easy, it's about Musicians and Bands.
Let's keep it from the period 1950 - 2007 (2008 is still to young)
I REALLY WANT YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS TOPIC. We have some options, like
- Who is/was the most important band, giving a "face" to a decade, (less or more)
- Which artist(s) did influence most, or were an example for a lot of bands
- What about the importance or impact by some music styles.
About music styles and impact, my thoughts go automatic to PINK FLOYD.
About giving face to a period who else than the BEATLES were THE DACE of the 60-ties OR were it bands, artists like JIMI HENDRIX
I think this is a quit difficult topic, but I really hope TO SEE VERY NICE AND INTERESTING OPINIONS AND DISCUSSIONS, that's why a forum exist.

PLEASE DO AND SPIT YOUR OPINION HERE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: A VERY DIFFICULT ONE

For Rock. Considering the following as the most influential and for me who defined the decade musically in Rock and Roll. I'm not saying they were the best or the first only that they defined. The sixites really is 66-73 and so forth and so on. The early 60's were still splill over from the 50's. 

60's = Beatles
70's = Led Zeppelin
80's = Van Halen
90's = Nirvana
00's jury's still out

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Great topic and a great list by geo. I can't argue with any of the names listed. It's difficult to leave out great names like Hendrix, The Stones, and many more. I find it interesting to make equations out of the list.

Examples:
Beatles + Cream = Zeppelin
Zepplin + Hendrix = Van Halen
Zepplin + Neil Young (or dylan maybe) = Nirvana

I'm not at all comparing the talent of the artists, just thinking about their "sounds". There are many, such as Floyd, who were great in their own way, but do not define a decade in the way those listed do.

In my mind what makes a band GREAT is defining their own SOUND - you can identify a song by it's uniqueness, nobody else sounds the same. These bands all had that. Not many today do sad

This thread should be great.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Great topic and a great list by geo. I can't argue with any of the names listed. It's difficult to leave out great names like Hendrix, The Stones, and many more. I find it interesting to make equations out of the list.

Examples:
Beatles + Cream = Zeppelin
Zepplin + Hendrix = Van Halen
Zepplin + Neil Young (or dylan maybe) = Nirvana

I'm not at all comparing the talent of the artists, just thinking about their "sounds". There are many, such as Floyd, who were great in their own way, but do not define a decade in the way those listed do.

In my mind what makes a band GREAT is defining their own SOUND - you can identify a song by it's uniqueness, nobody else sounds the same. These bands all had that. Not many today do sad

This thread should be great.

Well said. well done. That is a very interesting concept. I'd like to see more equations

Elvis Costello

how about
Zepplin + Black Sabbath = Metallica
Beatles + Hank Williams = The Eagles

Mine are more of a play on names rather than a stylistic evolutionary comparison; I'm starting to absorb a little insight into the great mind of our dear GuitaardocPhil. You're rubbin' off on me friend. Some deep thought went into these, see if you can follow my logic......................

The Doors+ System Of A Down= 3 Doors Down
Yes+ The Who= A-ha
Journey+ Guns 'n Roses= Tripping Daisy
Deep Purple + Pink= Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Cars+ Ice Cube= Van Halen
Ac/Dc + Train = Power Station

to be continued.............

Give everything but up.

Add now some others
- THE DOORS = PROVOCATIVE, my opinion: JIM MORISSON'S was SO SHY that when he performed in the very beginning, with his back to the audience. He was a so called "ADONIS", being sexually very attractive and for girls and for boys.
- MADONNA
- THE BOYSBANDS, a phenomenon from the mid-nineties untill 2000, some last longer.
- THE RAP MOVEMENT: I think that for the FIRST TIME IN MUSIC HISTORY, people killed each other.
Mostof them started in a gang, but they escaped, 100%, I don't think, they owe $$ for X, for Y, so called gang-friends, protecting them.
By THE WAY SOUTH, THANKS.
PLEASE, I have a topic for BULLSH**, changing names of existing bands, and the artists.
I love to write ther, but it is a kind of "sudden inspiration". You can do it the hard way by looking for famous bands, use anagrams but THAT is time consuming.
I adore writing topics, I really don't know where most of them come. It starts like I took my capo, and 2 minutes later: a capo topic.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Very clever SouthPaw!!! Doc is rubbing off on people. Being a fan of both Yes and The Who I was about to go off about the combo being A-Ha and then a light came on!! Thanks for the laugh

Elvis Costello

v clever - doc's topics always make you think.

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls