Topic: BANNED MUSIC OVER THE DECADES

I just found an interesting site, with music banned, no airplay, or worse.
Is this mentality still present or not. Some "highlights" The Doors with Light My Fire.
The legendary sleeve from the Rolling Stones album, using a zipper
The song GLORIA by THEM (Van Morisson) being performed by the Shadows of Knight, because the phrase or lyric she comes in my room" is too suggestive.
WHO GETS THE MONEY HERE? They didn't write the song, just change a small lyric, so the rights, who has 'them'
It is amazing how the band and the song are subject to such unbelievable measures. Who were those guys, and this in the "land of the free"?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BANNED MUSIC OVER THE DECADES

the "land of the free" well freedom has a cost and part of it is unwarented censorship.read up on the mcCarthey blacklist of the mid sixties or was it the fifties? movie stars,musicians,politicians even science professors fell under the ax of eugene mc Carthy the wisconsin senator luckley we survived this form of mistaken name calling.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by arkady 2007-12-31 23:29:08)

Hi Russell censorship changes through the years and reacts to the times. The McCarthy era has now been discredited as a witch hunt and rightly so but at the time destoryed alot fine peoples careers.
What I did find surprising was this list of songs deemed inappropriate to play on radios after the 9/11 attacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so … 01_attacks
I wonder how long they were deemed to be unsuitable to air.
Ark

ark i read the list im surprised "mary had a little lamb"wasn't on the list one could argue the title as some sort of scientific implant. invetrofirtlelazation, boy thats a mouth full!ark i have 2 slide shows on myspace one that works and one i havw been unsucessfully trying to delete off the page.i have emailed myspace.slide and gone blearyeyed with the attempts and hours i have spent i am ready to chuck myspace and delete the account and re-register and start over i can see no solution any suggestions would be welcome russ

Russell
I think the best way to delete the slide show from your Myspace page is to manually delete the code from the edit section on the home page. Once the code is gone then it won't be embeded in the page and it should not be there.

Ark

ark it took some doing but i have everything back to normal,thanks for the help russ

the music video for suede's 'the drowners' was banned in the uk when it was released cuz it showed 2 guys kissing.

i have that sticky fingers album sleeve - i think it's brilliant.

it's funny to see which bands had lots of songs that were banned - some of them are so pointless.

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls

camdener,
I know yer quite new here but do you really have to reopen really old threads?
it is taking me ages to read through everything yet again.
and apart from that, I dont think folk will still be looking for a reply.
ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i'm sorry, but i think people are still interested because they've replied

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls

yep they have and yep they probably are as the yare probably maybe newer from when they were originally posted.

Sorry for seeming grumpy lol but I can be, just ask my wife.

a few that you replied to I have not seen on here for months upon months perhaps even a year so dont expect replies from everyone you have quoted.

But like you say folk are replying so I guess it stil makes the thread intersting to some.
I just like reading all posts and if I had t oread back to what was said a year ago or over a year ago i think geezo I read this before.

open away if you feel the need. sorry for my grumpiness

Ken

Is it not better to reopen an old thread than start a new one going over all the same stuff?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Is it not better to reopen an old thread than start a new one going over all the same stuff?

probably as a few people in here keep starting threads under the same old name, wont mention any names lol

so yeah, but  like i said I was being a grumpy ervbuhpiuv

Ken

arkady wrote:

Hi Russell censorship changes through the years and reacts to the times. The McCarthy era has now been discredited as a witch hunt and rightly so but at the time destoryed alot fine peoples careers.
What I did find surprising was this list of songs deemed inappropriate to play on radios after the 9/11 attacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so … 01_attacks
I wonder how long they were deemed to be unsuitable to air.
Ark

can't believe they banned the foos
that is quite a lot of songs

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar

Very interesting.  Was Clear Channel worried that we would perhaps relate to music and be allowed to express our emotions in song?  The didn't want us to be able to cry along to a song or be angry for a moment while feeling some music?  I think that music is very healing and people need to be allowed to be a little sad or angry... and music lets us do that withOUT taking it out on people.  It's a kind of therapy for me anyhow.  Hmm... with the economic system in a bit of despair right now, I wonder what they're not playing... Money money?

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.