Topic: ARE THERE STILL REAL "NEW" BANDS

I remember me as kid in the sixties, the seventies all those great bands
- BEATLES, ROLLING STONES, HOLLIES, ANIMALS, PINK FLOYD.....

But what is the situation today?
Are there bands, I mean RECENT bands (end 90ties, 2000-2008) who are HUGE, having millions of fans and playing for thousands of people?

I just know that the "old dinosaurs" like Stones, Eagles, even Led Zeppelin, are saving for later by touring and a new album.
WHO ARE THEIR REPLACEMENTS? Red Hot Chili Peppers? They exist for years now?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ARE THERE STILL REAL "NEW" BANDS

I am a bit lost with newer bands these days. I have heard nothing to convice me their is anything new and great.
That is not to say there isnt bands that would fill that space.
red hot chili peppers have been about since early 80's but only really got recognised after they went commercial in the mid to late 90's.

there is Oasis I suppose but i dont know if they are that big in america ( the place where you are big if you make it)
greenday are influencing younger bands but then they are the same, they were about for years and were not really noticed until they bowed down to record companies and went commercial to make money with their clean cut sound.

The arctic monkeys might get in as a new upcoming band I thought, but then they have been quite quiet after thier second album not being as big as their first.

I think because of the way the music companies dictated charts we have not had any reallybig bands like the stones, beatles, the who sex pistols, clash, metallica etc.
the 90's music industry has killed off the chance for big bands like these with thier manufactured pop nonsense.
Also with the internet taking off in a massive way in the 90's and especially in the 00's. there is so much choice for punters.

if todays bands are still about in 20 years time and getting mentioned as influences for the new bands in 20 years time then I tihnk we might get an answer for this thread.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken, thanks for answering this topic,which I consider as a quit difficult one.
I found a fantastic AND realistic description, here a link
http://www.scribd.com/doc/110936/Music- … generation
- 50ties: Elvis Presley
- 60ties: The Beatles
- 70ties: Led Zeppelin
- 80ties: U2
- 90ties: NIRVANA
At least you can tell that the list is accurate, giving us names of BANDS who changed a lot and had a huge influence on others. The 70ties, I should add the Sex Pistols too.
But NOW, it's already 2008, can you believe it, I can't find a band like previous bands.
Most of the real famous bands are busy since years.
Agree, THE GORILLAZ, KAISER CHIEFS, OASIS, ARTIC MONKEYS, COLDPLAY, MUSE but some y exists since years. About the Artic Monkeys, they were pioneers in a matter od speaking, because they achieved their success through fan-made demo tapes and online file sharing. They were heralded as one of the first acts to come to the public attention via the Internet.
SUGABABES, they do have a lot of success too, formed in 1998.
BUT REAL BIG BANDS, like The Who, The Kinks, The Bee Gees, I am afraid that those days are gone.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

i think there are still really great new bands but they still don't reach the standard of the older stuff.

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls

I have hear some good new bands but nothing that I think will ever have a major lasting impact on music..but you never know...

Music just isn't what it used to be.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

there are hundreds of really talented new bands out there who havn't made it in the mainstream because they are just not what people want
picking the first one that comes to my head, mayday parade, they have written good songs and know how to play their instruments but just have never had the breaks that other bands have had

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar