Topic: Acoustic amp for gigging

Anyone with experience of the Marshall as100d for gigging, generally in smallish pubs. Is it worth splashing out almost twice the price of the as 50 d ?

Re: Acoustic amp for gigging

I'm gonna have to say no on this one. I've played with the Marshall100 & the 50. The 100 is tad bit more powerful and has a few extra channels. But, for the money, and the solo performer, the 50 works just fine for me. I actually have 2 of  the 50's that I set up stage left and stage right but for my smaller, indoor gigs I'll use only 1 of them. The volume is plentiful and the sound is easily managable with crystal clear sound. Good luck, keep askin' around and try 'em both.

Peace and Guitars and Marshall Amps,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Hi I am a new guitar player struggling with B minor as I have small hands! Has anyone any advice or alternative fingerings please?
thanks
Jazzy

jazzylass wrote:

Hi I am a new guitar player struggling with B minor as I have small hands! Has anyone any advice or alternative fingerings please?
thanks
Jazzy

Wrong thread.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I'm gonna have to say no on this one. I've played with the Marshall100 & the 50. The 100 is tad bit more powerful and has a few extra channels. But, for the money, and the solo performer, the 50 works just fine for me. I actually have 2 of  the 50's that I set up stage left and stage right but for my smaller, indoor gigs I'll use only 1 of them. The volume is plentiful and the sound is easily managable with crystal clear sound. Good luck, keep askin' around and try 'em both.

SouthPaw41L

Another vote for the  50 watter, I use it for vocals ,drum machine and guitar ,nae bother.

Many.many thanks for your invaluable comments guys. I’ve been researching this for about a month now and Iv now come up with my final, final ,final conclusion. Just before I do my....and the winner is bit, I thought I might "enlighten" you with the twists and turns of the process.
About two years ago I heard a guy playing his acoustic through an acoustic amp. The paying and singing was ok (and I’m being diplomatically British here) but the sound was great. So I went out and bought an acoustic amp that was at a reduced price. First mistake! It was a Laney and was not really much better than my very old (and we are talking Jurassic period here) Peavey PA. After joining a number of forums the consensus was that the Marshal AS50D was the best in the price range (quick check with chordie members seemed to confirm this). A sudden revelation reminded me that the great sound I had heard previously was a Marshal acoustic amp (although I’m not sure if it was the 100 or the 50)
So off I went to Brighton to buy one..........but they didn’t have any in stock, further the guy selling them said the as100d was significantly better, not only in volume and facilities but critically for me, in sound quality.
Hmm, back to the internet and check on a comparison between the 50 and 100, mostly from the Harmony site overwhelmingly recommends the 100. Call a guy I know who performs and owns a music shop (has an old as50r but does not stock current marshal stuff) says he Gigs with the 100 and no contest with the 50.
So the 100 it is then, back to the wonderful chordie site for a quick check and .........2 good sources say the 50. Err right. Call Brighton and ask if I can demo the two together. Difficult they say, they come in and go so fast.
Not happy with the attitude (I don’t want to marry the guy but.....) I call a shop in Eastbourne. None in stock sir but we will have both in for you a week on Tuesday for you to Demo.
So finally, finally,finally,finally if you are interested in hearing to outcome (if you have not yet lost the will to live) check the chordie site a week on Tuesday to hear the winner is....
Any comments on either of the amps (but please no others if you don’t want to be responsible for a suicide ) before next Tuesday would be appreciated.

Hi Mike, I guess you've got IT by now, and I'm sure you made the right decision. So, what did you get, & when can I borrow it?? I am joking, of course.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

SouthPaw41L wrote:

SouthPaw41L

How do you hook up the two amps ?

henryb,

Here's how I run my 2 amp set-up;

My mics (one vocal, one percussion) and guitar lines into unpowered Mackie mixer.

Two lines out( left and right)of Mackie into front channels of Marshall 1.

From Marshall 1- line out( back of the amp) into Channel 1(front) of Marshall 2 .

I place them app 6'(feet) behind me, left and right sides of the stage app12' apart angled slightly inward.

I also have homemade stands that sit about a foot off the ground and tilt the amps upward around 20 degrees.

Give everything but up.

Toney, I believe you're saying to use the one red and one white RCA outlets on the mixer into the one red and one white RCA inputs on the front of the amp, correct ?

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Toney, I believe you're saying to use the one red and one white RCA outlets on the mixer into the one red and one white RCA inputs on the front of the amp, correct ?

No Wayne, it's all 1/4" outlets. There's a 1/4" line out on the back of the amp. The RCA outlets are used for my CD/DVD player that I use for break music.

Give everything but up.

Oh Ok, are you then coming from your mixer right and left, to channel one and two on the front of the Amp? then out the back to the other amp? That sounds more like it.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Southpaw.

wlbaye wrote:

Oh Ok, are you then coming from your mixer right and left, to channel one and two on the front of the Amp? then out the back to the other amp? That sounds more like it.

Exactly Wayne and you're welcomehenryb!

Keep in mind gentlemen this system is good for a smaller, open air( mainly outdoors) type area. Lots of bodies absorb sound as well. I use my Bose L1 in the middle of my two Marshall set-up when I expect larger crowds or bigger areas to fill with sound. But for the average pub or laid back outdoor beach bar the two Marshall( or equivalent) set-up is ideal.

Give everything but up.

Thanks Toney,  my dad used to say "Some never learn and some take forever!"    I have done kinda the same thing with my acoustasonic. I don't use a mixer and just mic in and guitar in the acoustasonic and out the back to my peavey acousic amp channel 1.
  I have a non-powered mixer so I am gonna try it and see how it works. I think you would have more control over the mix, your way.

Just wonderin, do you ever break dance to your break music ?

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Just wonderin, do you ever break dance to your break music ?

Not on purpose!!!!

Give everything but up.

HI Norm,
no not yet,
Im going to Bonners in eastbourne on Tuesday to try both the 100 and 50. Although the opinions seem to be about even, Im leaning on the 100 at the moment. I really dont want to be in the position of thinking if only spent a bit more........., not unless when I hear them back to back there is  hardly any difference.