1 (edited by selso 2009-08-14 16:14:28)

Topic: Is it possible?

I was wondering if it was possible to add songs from the Songwriting section to your song book? Also, I have seen on other sites (not that I go to other sites) Songwriting competitions where the winner wins a coffee cup or a t-shirt. How possible do you think that would be on Chordie? I think it would be cool. Opinions?
Selso
(sorry to ask two questions in one thread)

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

2 (edited by arkady 2009-08-14 16:34:04)

Re: Is it possible?

Hi Selso
I asked this question many moons ago and this was the answer I got from James at the time. I used it and it works ok.. It's a work around smile

Here is how:
You will 'edit' the forum song into the body of a song that is already in your songbook.
1.  Pick a 'victim song' in your personal songbook, one that you can change into the Songwriting Forum song.
2.  Copy the forum song's lyrics and chords and title and subtitle.
3.  Go to your songbook and open the 'victim song' using the green 'edit' button at the end of it's listing.
4.  Now, in the editing pane (the upper one) just zap everything in the victim song EXCEPT it's {t:title} and {st:subtitle} lines.  If you delete these lines, the index will no longer recognize the page - so leave those lines intact and delete everything else.
5.  Now, just paste the forum song into the edit pane just below the victim song's title and subtitle.  Change the forum song's title and subtitle lines into 'comment' lines: {c:title} and {c:subtitle}.
6.  Hit the 'save' button between the panes.  The forum song is now in your songbook, however it is listed there under the title and subtitle of your selected victim song.
7.  You can return to your songbook now and open the forum song now using the regular method, transpose, print, etc.
8.  The forum songs should remain in your private songbook - don't publish that songbook, otherwise it would be the end of civilization as we know it!

Like I said, this method is just a work-around . . . but it yields a nice result.  Let me know it you have any problems.  James

Oh dear I've just remembered the "edit" button doesn't work Sorry......

ark

3 (edited by selso 2009-08-14 16:40:14)

Hey Ark,
That worked easy enough. Not that I would, but what would happen if I did, lets say on accident, make the song book public with a song from the songwriting section? Also, if we post a song in the songwriting section how come it doesn't show up in the list of songs that chordie has? Just wondering. Probably a copy right thing.
Thanks
Selso

Reverend Horton Heat

4 (edited by arkady 2009-08-14 16:56:07)

Selso
I never asked James why he said not to go public with the songbook. I guess it's a bit cheeky nicking a song and making it you own and then publishing it.
At the moment with the copyright thing being a tad bit sensitve I think it's best to leave your songbook private for you eyes only so to speak...
I think the reason a song from the songwriting section doesn't show up in the index is that Chordie basically is search engine which scans the internet for chords and tabs from other sites and then converts them to Chopro which then can be viewed. So the there's no connection with the songwriting section on Chordie..
Glad the edit worked...
ark

arkady wrote:

Selso
I never asked James why he said not to go public with the songbook. I guess it's a bit cheeky nicking a song and making it you own and then publishing it.
At the moment with the copyright thing being a tad bit sensitve I think it's best to leave your songbook private for you eyes only so to speak...
I think the reason a song from the songwriting section doesn't show up in the index is that Chordie basically is search engine which scans the internet for chords and tabs from other sites and then converts them to Chopro which then can be viewed. So the there's no connection with the songwriting section on Chordie..
Glad the edit worked...
ark

As a moderator, any thoughts on a song writing comptetion?

Reverend Horton Heat

We've had songwriting contests here on Chordie in the past ( long ago, can't remeber the date, the songs and responses are no longer saved in the post archives) and at the time they didn't generate much of a response, actually it was downright pathetic. I think maybe 10 people participated total ( songwriters and voters). But hey, I'm always the "glass half full" kinda guy. We could probably organize another contest if the demand justifies it.

Give everything but up.

selso
First I will say I think the idea is good and personally would be for it...

Russell a few months back had a songwriting and recording competition which was held over a number of weeks but only received 2 entries mine and Rogers so entries where thin on the ground..
Judging not sure how that would work and the prizes well I'm not sure who would donate them..

Sorry to be negative just mty thoughts here.
ark

the reason you cannot go public is because if it says " the beatles"  "helter Skelter" and someone goes in and it has  Blah blah blah by joe blogs, then it is very wrong as it would still have the beatles as the name of the band and I think the name of the song. So it would be a copyright sort of issue.

So you really got to keep these things always in a private book. If accidentally it went live and it was found out it may result in that entire book being scrapped from chordie so the songs that are public are protected someway.

To be sure it doesnt accidentally go public you could create a new songbook and never make it live and keep it for songs like this.
But you would have to remember the names you have your song under as it will show as the original all the time.

Hope that helps clear things up if they were not already,lol. I never read everything in here.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

arkady wrote:

selso
First I will say I think the idea is good and personally would be for it...

Russell a few months back had a songwriting and recording competition which was held over a number of weeks but only received 2 entries mine and Rogers so entries where thin on the ground..
Judging not sure how that would work and the prizes well I'm not sure who would donate them..

Sorry to be negative just mty thoughts here.
ark

I dont know how I missed that. I guess the judging would be left to the moderators, and maybe chordie could donate a cup or something? I guess if nobody was into it, it be pointless. Just a thought.

Reverend Horton Heat