Topic: What's up with the "Edit" feature??????

Hello,
         Let me preface this post by thanking all responsible for "Chordie" I love this site....it is a dream come true for someone like me who plays guitar, keyboard, and harmonica (mostly Blues) and sings and is good at arranging songs to fit his style, key range and musical tastes which in my case is best summed up by the adjective eclectic - but is basically a self-taught-musician-hobbyist.

I do a lot of editing. Like hours upon hours. Sometimes, at one sitting. Mostly though, in multiple sessions. Hence, imagine my utter dismay and major panic attack at logging on this afternoon and having this wonderful feature completely absent from its usual place in my "Performance Songbook"

What's going on???? is there some upgrading work or is someone cleaning up some glitches that have been creating regular problems going on ?? I can't do any editing at all today - does anybody know what's up?

Please, please someone - anyone tell me this is temporary - or i might just have to go into therapy, get an anti-anxiety medication prescribed, and take up yoga....maybe even start on the rice cakes....Hello...anybody out there?

Emotional in Endicott New York
Manny123

It's never too late to be what you might have been...

Re: What's up with the "Edit" feature??????

Yes the editing feature is temporally not available sorry for the inconvience when its restored there will be a notice thanks for your concern smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

No need to be sorry...Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it. Any idea when the editting feature might be working? Thanks again for your response - Manny123

It's never too late to be what you might have been...

I cant give a definitive only that the webmaster will decide and then we all will know smile

I too rely on the edit feature quite a bit.  I also had a panic attack when I didn't see this feature in my songbook.  I'm glad it's only temporary.  Keep up the great work guys, it is truly appreciated.

Hate to pile on ... but, it truly is the essential feature that causes me to use Chordie over any others.  I have a gig coming up with some guys that I don't play with much.  I was going to create a songbook and edit the songs so the chords are in the exact correct spot relative to the lyrics.  Then use it when we practice ... ah, tomorrow.

Please let the webmaster know of the importance of this tool.  When people are referring to this as a crisis, they aren't necessarily exagerating.

Thanks for the excellent tools.  Please bring the most important one back quickly!

Zara,
I think Per ( the webmaster) knows the importance of this tool.

I am sure if he didnt have to take it off he wouldnt have.

I tihnk we all use this a lot and yer right it is an important tool in chordie, I use it constantly, or I did.

Lets hope it returns soon. We will have to wait and see.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I to logged in and after playing a song was going in to change something and the edit tool was gone.  I thought I was dreaming and went back and forth with pages trying to find that edit button I thought I had misplaced.  Then I realized it wasn't me that they were probably programming but told my husband if they took that feature off  I would have to find something else as that is the main feature in chordie that is sooooo wonderful...  I am so glad it is going to be back.  Thanks for letting us know.   I am very grateful for this site.

Me too.  Editing is the reason I'm here.

+1

Russell, are the tools you use for transposing, and the css you use for displaying the chordpro stuff Open Source, or Proprietary? If there is anything available, I would love to be able to run it on my own server (I run a standard apache/php/mysql setup at home for developing on) with my own song files (not as a public server).

verdonv I cant answer that only because I'm computer programing ignorant all the features on Chordie are Programed by the web master Per and only he knows,I can understand the frustration and sympathise but untill this feature is made available again all you or anyone can do is wait smile

I must admit that I was embarrassingly grateful to find this post!
I've been away from guitar and Chordie for several months and wouldn't you know it, but the first song I pick to play from my songbook when I come back needs a bit of tweaking to my rested and refreshed ear.
I could have *sworn* that "edit" was an option in my songbook when I used to come here daily, but I'm getting older and my memory isn't the only thing that ain't what it used to be! wink
I'm glad to see that the edit feature will be returning eventually and I will be able to get back to constantly updating the songs in my songbook.
That, and I'm glad to see that I'm not *completely* losing my mind! wink

Heh, me too tunedeaf.. same boat. I blame it on being a teen in the 70's!

I too am suffering from the lack of the "EDIT" feature.

It really is starting to be a bit of an issue, just printed out 4 copies of a 30 song set for a gig tomorrow and having to edit the errata by hand on every copy.

17 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2009-06-20 02:22:42)

cheddar wrote:

It really is starting to be a bit of an issue, just printed out 4 copies of a 30 song set for a gig tomorrow and having to edit the errata by hand on every copy.

I guess you still came out ahead verses going to the local music/book store and paying for the sheet music individually. I hate to sound like an old coot but back in the day one would have to sit down and figure the song out totally by ear or break out the wallet and spend some hard earned cash for songbooks. Appreciate what we have available, it's a privilege, not a right..........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

and ps- welcome to Chordie and have a great gig.

Give everything but up.

Most of the most important documents including the Declaration of Independence were drafted by a quill pen and ink im sure we can make do for a bit with the "old fashioned" method of writting by hand for a while smile

19 (edited by cheddar 2009-06-20 17:10:19)

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Appreciate what we have available, it's a privilege, not a right..........

Sorry, maybe I worded it a little more strongly than was intended.  For sure it's real nice to have it supplied.  Was just reinforcing what was said previously that a lot of people come to rely on the edit feature since there's so much stuff about with glaring errors in it that needs sorting if you're trying to do a 'tight' set with everyone singing from the same hymn sheet as it were.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

and ps- welcome to Chordie and have a great gig.

We did thanks, charity bash to raise money for "Freewheelers" the guys who volunteer their time to run blood and organs around the UK.

Anyhoo - the "edit" thing, we love it and we miss it was all I was saying.  wink

I just wanted to say thanks.  I know that there is a lot of work in keeping up this wonderful website.  I do miss the edit feature.  It IS a great way of modifying a song, that may have a slight difference to how you like to play the song.  Is there anything that we can do to help bring this feature back?
Thanks again for the website, and thanks to all that have inputed in the past!!!

SouthPaw41L wrote:
cheddar wrote:

I guess you still came out ahead verses going to the local music/book store and paying for the sheet music individually. I hate to sound like an old coot but back in the day one would have to sit down and figure the song out totally by ear or break out the wallet and spend some hard earned cash for songbooks. Appreciate what we have available, it's a privilege, not a right..........

I totally agree, while I also got used to the edit feature, I understand it's a legal issue. Chordie may (or may not) exist in the future - so you better not depend on it for gigs (as with all web based content). The edit feature leads to the need of storing information on Chordies servers other then those typical for a web based index. See Chordie as what it can be (legally - for the time being): a very comfy way of searching chordpro files.

Being an old coot myself, I well remember hours spent in front of a tape recorder guessing the words and the chords.  Funny thing is - when I look at my Chordie Songbook: the songs in there I own in real songbooks, as well. But it is much nicer having my dearest songs online, than carrying them around in heavy volumes (with one or two songs each).

Enjoy but don't depend!

Variona

(no native to this tongue)

+2.
Love the site and grateful to have it.
But I miss my edit button.
Thanks.

I can't find the Quill Pen feature that Russell_Harding mentioned.

I tried to edit with a pen on my monitor but I ran out of space.

What is paper?

Insert another bad joke here.

Keep up the great work guys!

Luke

I never need more then 4 strings.

Here is the solution to the edit problem.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12795

smile

I never need more then 4 strings.