Topic: New to guitar

I just got a guitar recently but i've had no lessons and don't know anything about guitars.  The most experience i have is Guitar Hero, any sites that can show correct fingering?  preferably free?

Re: New to guitar

Hang around here on chordie, It's where I learned and still learning.

Welcome aboard.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Welcome to chordie gamegeek. Most recommended and great free site is justin sandercoe. Check the beginners course.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Hang in there past the initial finger pain - that's where most folks give up. You'll build calluses pretty quickly and then the guitar will be a companion for life.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Good advice from TD....stick at it. It's about to get really fun!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Welcome to CHORDIE, throw away Guitar Hero and pay attention to Justin Sandercoe.  In the time it takes to learn guitar hero, you can learn some real guitar.  There'll be no turning back.  good luck

topdown wrote:

Welcome to chordie gamegeek. Most recommended and great free site is justin sandercoe. Check the beginners course.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Hang in there past the initial finger pain - that's where most folks give up. You'll build calluses pretty quickly and then the guitar will be a companion for life.

Agreed ... Justins instruction is phenomenal and free ... I've used it a lot in the past

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Welcome to the guitar world! smile

AccoustikNoyz wrote:

Welcome to CHORDIE, throw away Guitar Hero

Don't throw away your guitar hero!!! It's a great tool to help you stretch your fingers before you start playing your real guitar. Play GH for about twenty minutes on hard or expert and your fingers will be nice and stretched, it's great excercise for making your hands stronger. I started to play real guitar because of GH. Some people say that they hate guitar hero some like it, but this video game got you interested in playing real guitar so stay on this site because there is tons of super helpful tips, tricks and information for you to start you on your way to becoming a REAL guitar hero!!!! If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, there is alot of great folk here that are more than willing to help you out. Just don't give up and keep practicing!!!!!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

hello, ive just brought a guitar from a friend and was very confused. i started playing just power chords like teen spirit some kinks and other  stuff, but then felt bad as i was not learning the basics like proper chords... i have recently learned a few and found going between e & a chord i found my fingers getting used to it and started frowing mabey d in their also... this was a great help for me...  one question.......is (hammer on /off) simply moving a finger off a string ,playing it without plucking???    tnx , dave from good ol sunny england

me too!
i have a cd for the pc but it hasn't taught me much i am learning off this site , find a guitar tab for "sunshine of your love" it is very easy well at least the beginning is smile

bongbrain wrote:

hello, ive just brought a guitar from a friend and was very confused. i started playing just power chords like teen spirit some kinks and other  stuff, but then felt bad as i was not learning the basics like proper chords... i have recently learned a few and found going between e & a chord i found my fingers getting used to it and started frowing mabey d in their also... this was a great help for me...  one question.......is (hammer on /off) simply moving a finger off a string ,playing it without plucking???    tnx , dave from good ol sunny england

Hey bongbrain - welcome to Chordie!!  Great question.  Yep, a hammer-on is pretty much just what it sounds like: you've maybe got your 1st finger on the G string (if fact try this riff - it's fun to mess with) at the 5th fret, you pluck that string and immediately press your 2nd finger on the same string in the 6th fret (hammer-on), then do the B string in the 5th fret and hammer to the 7th fret with your 3rd finger, then pluck the E string with your 1st finger in the 5th fret.  Smooth that out a bit and you've got a nice bluesy Brian Setzer type riff that might even ring a bell.  The "pull-off" is essentially the opposite: you quickly pull your finger off the string and the vibration caused by your removal makes the sound!  Simple - right?!?  There are gobs of excellent players here (many who are much more advanced than I) who are happy to help you along, so come back often, ask many question, and above all KEEP PLAYING!

Caracena
> One of these days I'll think of a clever signature <

12 (edited by UncleLeon 2009-08-18 15:39:26)

PLEASE...(I know I'll probably get flak on this)..Please let me make a VERY strong recommendation to you.

Don't try to take a "Short Cut".  The bad habits you develop will cling to you for life.  I am a self taught guitarist who has played for many years.   I wish I had learned correctly.   I do NOT teach, so I have no "ax to grind.

PLEASE...find a great teacher.  - One recommended by others who play the type of music you wish to play.  Learn to play correctly.  Don't end up with habits that will limit you for life.

Guitarists are a dime a dozen.  Learn your instrument thoroughly, and don't accept "almost clear" as good enough.  Don't allow yourself to be convinced that the distortion and effects will "mask" a lack of precision.  I assure you that if you do, you will wish that you had not.

Learning to play correctly is really the "Short Cut".