Topic: Goose Creek Symphony

Hello everyone!!! This is my first post and I have a question regarding the above bluegrass band.......I have been , for years, looking for the complete words to one of their songs!!!! I think the name of the song may be " Welcome to Goose Creek " , but I'm not sure!!!   I have been playing this song for 30 years with the only 2 verses I know, so I'm beggin'.....can anybody help me???!!!

One of the verses I know goes something like this:

All of the boys were peepin' through the crack of John B. Allen's run down shack. He kissed the girls and made them cry.....'til they gave him a piece of their cherry pie " !!!!!

If anyone out there knows the rest, please post and/or send to my e-mail- wjwallsmith@telus.net!!!

Thanks

SS

Re: Goose Creek Symphony

Hey skullshot, welcome to the forum. I found "Welcome to Goose Creek" on youtube but I didn't hear the lyrics you mentioned above so perhaps it has a different title. Here's the link if you want to check it out to see if this is the correct song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClW-lJGXis

There are several Goose Creek Symphony tunes on youtube, if this is not the correct song maybe you can search through them and find the one your looking for.

Hope this helps smile

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Hi skullshot ..nicename lol  Found this from goose creek symphony which has those lines in...
                                                         hope it helps..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-Tx0SKjfw

Hi SkullShot, welcome to Chordie,

Wow, I have posted several topics on Goose Creek Symphony here on Chordie, I'm as big a fan as any when it comes to Goose Creek and Front man Charlie Gearheart. I know the song as well as many others they have done, even have the chords to several. "Welcome to Goose Creek" is their signature song, it's the first song they sing at every stop they make.I have the words and chords to it as well.

I've seen Goose Creek at least 60 to 70 times since the early 70's. The only two original members left are Charlie Gearheart and Paul Spradlin "Pearl" as they call him. Recently at a private farm in Kentucky all the original members got back together at an event they hold every year now called "Goose on the Lake" , anyway I've met Charlie and the guys many times, use to spend lots of time in South Carolina at a friends home with them, they even have a song on one of thier albums about that friend of mine from there.

Also on their website, "which has changed now", so it's not there, I got to leaving messages with "Willard" who use to be in the orignal band, he gave me chords to several of their songs, as I said that has been taken down now, but I have them, anyway, getting back to your question, I have all the lyrics to that song if you couldn't understand from that video, let me know if you still need them, I'll be more than happy to help with what I can.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hey Cameron, is there any chance you could email me the Goose Creek chords? They're one of my favorite bands and I can't figure out how to play any of their songs. I sure would appreciate, and so would the old boys at the campfire!

6 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-08-20 21:43:30)

Hi ThomBeers,

Sure I'm glad to help, I'll email you "Welcome to Goose Creek"

Cam

Man o Man.....I never expected to get an immediate and overwhelming detailed response to my question!!!  Thanks alot everyone!!! This is obviously a great and member-service site, so I'll delete my others!!!

Special thanks to Cameronk17....thanx man!!....and Flatpicker 55 for the " you Tube " site. Yeah...yeah...I know....stupid e-name, what can I say.....the sign in rejected my first two, so the first thing I saw was my kids on line WW2 name.....LOL!!!!! First time I've heard the song since oh....probably....1970 or 1971 ...or thereabouts!!! Can't find any of their music to purchase on CD ( wore out my old LP ) up here in Canada anymore. I am just trying to get used to signing into a computer ...let alone how to use it to search!!!!

Anyway, for those who asked....as soon as I can sit at the computer for more than 5 mins, I will post the music for the song ( a little difficult as it is just variations of a d chord minus the f# )!!! I will post the notes though when able ( Cam you know the reason ) !!! Do you all prefer tabulature or music natations!??

Jim

Hey skullshot...Welcome to Chordie big_smile

Yup! Cam and Flatpicker and fatstrings are just a few of the many fine people you will meet
here so by all means climb on board and start a new thread or carry on an old thread.
Friendly contribution is what it's all about. smile

By the way, I'm in London Ontario...How about yourself?

KAP

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey cap54;

I'm from as far west as you can go and still be on the mainland.....Vancouver! I just read from the host server that Lyrics or songs can't be posted on the site. Cam, I'll eventually e-mail them to you!!!

Jim

Pretty Peggy doesn't live here anymore!

Hi Skullshot,

Here's a link to Goose Creek Symphony's website     http://goosecreeksymphony.com/

There are most of their albums there for sale if you click on discography, they have albums as well as other things. As far as you mentioning tabs or chords, either is fine, just whats easier for you. They changed their website recently and all the albums aren't there, they started in 1972, and were the headliners at concerts for years, with bands like Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels,  and lots of other Southern Rock bands up until the 80's ish I think they called it off for awhile, but at some point Charlie Decided he hadn't had enough, so he and pearl put a band back together and play a limited amount of shows every summer, here in North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, and a couple of other places.

Charlie has a few health problems now, so I'm not sure how much longer he'll be touring, so next summer when they play, if you get a chance to see them, I'd take it. They are on of those bands that sound better live, than they do on recordings, or maybe it's just the type of people they draw, or maybe it's just me. One more link I'll leave you is one off their new album. He's at Grimeys music store in Nashville, hope you enjoy it!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR4yNO1rJPo

Cam

Thanks for the link Cam big_smile

I love the harmonies and the fiddle. Awesome

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Your Welcome Kap,

I've loved this band since their inception, back in the 70's, some of the youtube videos are kinda bad, taken by cancorders and such, but recently some that have been posted with much better quality. I'm glad you enjoyed them though.

Cam

13 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-08-27 01:22:02)

Hey SkullShot,

I sent you a new Goose Tune, but I'm not sure you got it, let me know if you got one called "The "Gospel

Cam