Topic: approach to learning songs

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I have been playing Acoustic for three months now without the aid of a teacher. Self teaching with books, getting lessons is a 2 hour drive away so thats out of the question. I know 90% of chords/bar chords, I'm learning 7 songs at the moment, do you think this is too many for a newbie. If so what is your opinion and should i completly get one song right before starting on the next.

EG: spend one week on a song then start another.

thanks johnno

Re: approach to learning songs

I would be bored to tears working on only one thing at a time... but that's just me. big_smile

I try to pick songs that will hold my interest over time, and teach me something new - a new chord, a new rhythm, a new progression. Mix it up, keep a few things on the rehearsal list that stretch your skills, and keep a number or two you can play well - even if it's "Wheels on the bus".

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

A few things.

1. Welcome to Chordie.

2. Seven songs at once is probably not too many.  However, if you're brand new at this, determine whether you are learning to play songs or learning to play guitar.  Neither way is right or wrong in my opinion, but it makes a difference in how you practice.

2a. Learning songs: You get the chord structure down, you learn a few riffs maybe, you learn the lyrics, and you strum it out when you want to.  This is what I do most of the time.

2b. Learning guitar: You learn not only the chords and structures, but why they go together.  You don't learn just the riff, but you learn the scale upon which the riff is based so that when you need to you can adapt it to other songs or adjust riffs to suit your mood rather than the mood of the composer.  You don't just sing the words of the song, you learn the melody and how it fits and be able to pick out the melody on the guitar and make your guitar sing.  This is a lot harder, but I am told more satisfying. 

These styles, 2a and 2b, are not hard and fast.  You can do both at the same time.  But you can't do both in the same practice session.  They are radically different approaches to practice. 

My suggestion to you is to split your practice session up.  In the first part of your practice session, have particular goals.  Run scales that relate to your style of music (major pentatonic for country song, pentatonic blues scale for blues and rock, etc.).  Learn arpeggios and inversions (which are different ways of playing chords note for note instead of all together).  Practice some theory.  Learn how it sounds to use a relative minor, and what a relative minor is.  That's the first half.  In the second half, bang out some songs. 

Over time, the 'banging out some songs' portion will expand.  You still need to practice the basic structures of music on your particular instrument, but instead of practicing it individually you'll be applying it to songs and making the songs sound like you are playing them rather than some tribute band reproducing an original artists rendition note for note.  Even the original artists get bored with doing that. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My advice will be to only learn songs you know very well, songs you have listened to for years and songs you know the melody and words to intimately.  That way when you learn the chords and riffs you don't have to worry about the melody and lyrics.  Also I think the strumming comes easier if you know the song well as you get the feel for it easier.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Thankyou for your comments. I guess its hard to know if  i'm on the right track with teaching myself without the guidence of a teacher. I have bought the guitar method series of books,eg scales & modes,rhythm and theory. I keep it up and try toget to see a teagher once a month for some direction.

thanks again johnno

Sounds like a good plan. 

Teaching yourself guitar (as I have done) can be quite a chore.  It's tough to learn something from a teacher who is as ignorant on the subject as the pupil.   Books are good.  There are a bazillion good lessons on Youtube (and a few bazillion more really bad ones).  There are pay sites like Jamplay.com that's associated on Chordie, and free/donation sites like Justinguitar.com.  I can't speak for Jamplay never having used their lessons, but Justinguitar.com is a very good site for beginners.  His beginner drills are awesome.  I just wish that I had the discipline to follow his advice (and my own of using his).   My sissy teacher (me) keeps letting me (the student) off the hook. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Zurf,

i'll check these sites out

I can fully second Justinguitar.com, in the time I've been learning I have never seen a bad word written about the guy or his methods.  Take some time to look over his sight and start at the begginers course and you'll be fine.

He is a really infectious, likeable bloke that seems to go at just the right speed!   

Check him out!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Lots of good advice on these replies. Just thought I'd throw in one small thing.
When I first learned guitar, after getting down fingering on some starter chords, I had some trouble with timing when trying to play a song, meaning being able to strum or pick the rhythm correctly.
I met a person who really helped to enlighten me on this.

This may sound over simplified but try it before you disregard it.
Most songs are in what's called 4/4 time, while some are in 3/4 time(also called waltz time)

When you are first learning this, for 4/4, play the bass(lowest) note of the chord only, and then strum the chord once (repeat this). This is also called beat/stroke  beat/stroke
After getting used to this, you will start to hear that "beat/stroke" in your head, almost like a drumbeat and can use that like a mental metronome while starting to alter your strumming. But it will keep you in proper timing.
The 3/4 is pretty much the same, but done as a beat/stroke stroke   beat/stroke stroke

I found this to be a revelation when I was first learning, as timing is one of the difficult things about the learning process, and this really helped me.

Hope you get some use out of this.
Best of luck to you
And remember, we're all still learning. smile

Back in the 60's, I played trumpet and trombone in rock/soul bands.
My good wife bought me a guitar and 3 months later, after two lessons at our local music store, I was jamming with local pickers at a country western bar.
I found that learning new (to me) songs was the best way to get better. New tunes are still the best way for me to break out of a picking rut. A new song will usually teach me new chords and inversions as well as how they should be used.
I will soon be 68 and it takes me much less time to figure chords and strum patterns than before. It takes me more time to memorize lyrics than before, darn it. roll

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?