Topic: Good ways to clean an acoustic guitar?

Just wondering the best (and cheap) stuff to use on your guitar? My mom has a lot of furniture polish but somehow I think that would be a bad idea. It would smell bad anyway..and my hands burn when I touch that stuff anyway. I'm probably allergic or something. Something tells me that being allergic to my guitar would be counter-productive to my aims. Until I know for sure I'm just going to get a dry washcloth and get the dust out of the nooks and crannies of my guitar. It has a...gloss or something to make it pretty so I guess that makes it easy to clean. Is there anything I SHOULDN'T do? I'm now paranoid I'll ruin my born-again baby.

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

Re: Good ways to clean an acoustic guitar?

A good wipe down with a micro-fiber cloth at every string change should do the trick. A little dampness on the cloth won't hurt and a touch of glass cleaner on any particular stubborn spots should do the trick. Here's a link with some more detailed info:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia … ing01.html

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks, that was very helpful!

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

I'm interested in this as well.  Any further thoughts?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Of course.  With WD40 and Duct tape you can fix anything.  I would be afraid of some of the chemicals in WD40 though.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'd stay clear of WD40 too. If you have any flaws in the finish the WD40 will get under the finish and act like a detergent.

Go for a polish rather than a cleaning agent.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

7 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-07-01 20:51:58)

I'm with Tops on this... A slightly damp cloth and then a quick buff with a dry one at string changes is all that's needed. Once a year I'll add a light coat of polish to keep the finish from drying out and a touch of lemon oil to the fretboard to keep it conditioned.  Use polish and never wax, polish replaces the oils and maintains the finish, wax simply puts a shiny film on it that builds up and hinders top vibration over time.  Some people claim that using products that contain silicone is a big no-no. It's said that it will make future repairs difficult... You can look into this and decide for yourself... Personally, I think it's way over exaggerated, and silicone isn't as bad as some are trying to make it out to be. A decent repair guy knows how to properly prep his work and can handle it, they have for years... Furniture polish is a no no and I too would be very wary of using wd-40 on a guitar. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

So what type of polish?

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

christopaul wrote:

So what type of polish?

My local luthier gave me some Pro Lemon polish by Clayton that I really like... You can order it here
http://www.steveclayton.com/polish.html

Almost any polish will do though, Just make sure it's labeled polish and not polish/wax. The spray types are best (IMO) as the creams usually contain abrasives. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have found, after trying all sorts of things, that Fender Guitar polish and Fender Fret Board Conditioner works best for me. These are cheap and picked up at most music shops. I am not promoting Fender, just promoting a good product. I don't even own a Fender guitar.
                                                                                                    Cheers  Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

on the guitar body I use car polish, lightly if it has got greasy, the rest of the time I just wipe with a micro fibre cloth.  Lemon oil on fret board after cleaning the string with fast fret.
tonyblue

man is the dream of the doliphin

I use a product called GHS guitar gloss, it's a non-wax revitalizing treatment with no cloudy buildup. It works wonders and cost $ 7.95. A 4 oz. bottle goes a long way. It can be used on all guitar parts.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

i have used pure lemon oil for cleaning for years you can buy a quart for a couple of bucks and it will last for years keep a cloth with a little on it in your case to wipe down after you play even hides small scraches a little more elbow grease but no harsh chemicals

always pickin someting

I've got a small spray bottle of Martin guitar polish.  It's probably the same thing as the Fender guitar polish.  I picked it up at my local guitar shop.  When I remove the strings for a change, I spray a little of this on and wipe/buff with a microfiber cloth.  It works well. 

You can use lemon oil on the fretboard, but I don't know about using it on the finished parts.  Fret boards are often unfinished wood, so lemon oil works very nicely for gentle cleaning.  To do it, just put a little lemon oil on a rag and wipe it on in a circular motion.  Give it a little time to soak in, maybe about five minutes, and then wipe down with a clean, soft rag to get off the excess.  Some finishes are sensitive to oils, some aren't.  To be safe, I just use lemon oil on the fret board. 

That's how I clean my guitars.  Your mileage may vary.  No lemons were harmed in the writing of this post.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I just buy an entire kit for guitar cleaning (Dunlop System 65) ... I usually do a full cleaning every time I restring (i.e. fretboard oil, clean the tuners, top/sides, nut, etc.)

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

NIX on the WD-40 on your guitar!!! Yikes...perish the thought!!! Ouch...hurts just thinking about it...want to know how I really feel about it???  Only one suggestion...DO NOT, under any circumstances put WD 40 on any guitar!!   
IMHO and for what it's worth!!!

I JUST USE PLAIN OLD WATER ON A CLEAN RAG,IT HAS WORKED FINE.   FOR ME OVER THE LAST THIRTY YEARS.   DINO48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman