Topic: Guitar and Singing Combined

Hi all,

Dont post much but do have a question you may be able to assist me with.

Ive been learning the guitar for 9 months and find that when I sing and play at the same time its difficult, I dont think I sound that good [not a brillant singer anyway]. 

My question is has anyone every taken vocal lessons and would it be advisable to do so.  Have I a limit or would such lessons help me improve.

Thanks in advance, interested to read you responses...

Strum on

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now or then...

Re: Guitar and Singing Combined

i personally think that you will sound much better than you think you do, plus, as long as you stay in key with the guitar, the guitar will add much to the overall sound. simply a case of keeping practising

'woohoo' is the greatest lyric ever thought up - it can be put into any song!

Hey Bimmam! cool

Firstly, is it just how your vox sounds to you or are you having difficulty combining singing and playing?

If it is the former, then yes, singing lessons may help you get much more out of your vox! "Your" underlined because if you really can't sing, nothing will turn you into the next Pavarotti - PROBABLY! BUT, singing lessons will enable you to get the most out of what you've got.

If it is combining singing and playing and having difficulty with this, the only thing you can do is practice; practice and follow a couple of steps - when you perform a song, you usually start playing the guitar before you sing; when you sing try to hold both the rhythm of the song and the true melody with your vox and follow this with the guitar. The reasoning behind this is that most people's ears tune into the vox and will follow lyrics as long as they are sung true and in rhythm; once the performance of the lyrics is mastered, it stands as a guide for the accompanyment (the greatest accompanyists follow what the vocalist is doing anyway!)

To this end, it serves to spend time practicing lyrics unaccompanied.

I hope this answers your questions or gets you on the way to the answers you require. If you need more info, please get back and someone will be able to help!

Chons da! smile

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hi bimmam,

I'm not the most experianced guy on this board, in fact I struggle with the same thing. I'm sure people with more knowledge than I have will be on here to help you. However, from what I understand, if you sing along to songs you know and like and pay attention to how your voice sounds with whoever your listening to and your not straining your voice then thats your key, if you can find that song on here to see what key it's played in. I can sing with some songs in a certain key, but others I can't in the same key. I'm still trying to figure that one out, but again, I'm sure someone with more ability on here with help you soon. You can also use a capo to help find your key by placing it on different fret's on the guitar. Keep posting and ask your questions, everyone here is very friendly, if it wasn't for this site and the people on it, I would have givin it up long ago!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks for the feedback...

I dont have a problem singing with the guitar, i consider myself an average singer [bit on the shy side, sing in my own company only] and can keep the rythm of the song with the rythm of my guitar playing.  I suppose I just want to be better and was wondering had anyone got vocal lessons and what was their experience.

I understand what is said in the comments above and its helps, thanks...

Hello Bimmam,

We've been learning about the same time and like me I have never sung before let alone had a lesson.

I have some songs on Youtube, have a listen, I'm not particulalry any good but all I ever want to do is have a singalong in a BBQ with family and friends anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0NCWYmBZQ

The best thing I did to help was experiment with a capo.  I read up on different keys and what chords make up certain keys.  I find most of my songs are in G and I need a capo on either 1,2 or 3 frett to sing G ok.  If I don't use a capo my key wanders all over the place, much to the ammusement of my wife and kids!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

I don't know.  I recently heard myself in a recording and while the guitar playing was so-so, my voice was simply awful.  It isn't going to stop me from singing though, and I think that's the key.  (unintentional pun, but I like it so left it in) 

If you are of an appropriate age, tell anyone listening to you what I do, "The more you drink, the better I sound."  Of course, use caution as we don't want to be responsible for road accidents or unfortunately placed tattooes.  Stop singing before they get too blotto. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

8 (edited by bimmam 2009-08-24 22:47:54)

Hi Crevs.1972... I had a listen and I applaude your courage to put yourself on the Tube.  I dont think I could be as brave, you seem to be progressing well and your wish of being a party animal at bbq's and home get togethers is closer than you think.  Well done mate.  Ps.  I reckon your a Dave Grohl lookalike with the long hair.  Your description of the chords, the keys and the experimentation with the Capo is exactly where I am in my guitar journey and if 1972 is your dob we are the same age also.

Hi Zurf... you make me laugh, I like the idea of the booze to help my cause, might just try it, and yes I make the grade of appropriate age, lol...

Thank for your views.

I have some songs on Youtube, have a listen, I'm not particulalry any good but all I ever want to do is have a singalong in a BBQ with family and friends anyway:

Crevs,Be careful telling too many people you play guitar, you are gonna be asked to play at weddings, funerals, babtisms and all
kinds of gigs.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks for your compliments.

The thing is Bimmam I set up an anonymous youtube profile, none of my friends or family know about it, that way I get to avoid all the wind up's.  I dread to think what would happen if my work colleagues ever got hold of it!  You see, my problem is I'm a bit of a wind up merchant too so friends and colleagues wouldn't miss a trick in getting me back!

Zurf, the only problem I see with your "you drunker you get, the better I play" philosophy is that my will power isn't very good.  If the beers are being cracked open I wouldn't be able to resist and no matter how drunk my friends are, I don't think they'll cope with me singing and playing after a six pack..or two!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Wlbaye leave a link for us, Ill listen to anything... [did a search under you name but that dosent guarantee I have the right person].

Crevs.1972 do you realise its a small world and you may get caught someday [you will probably leak info some night after a mind blowing perfromance at the family/friedns bbq combined with 1 shandy too many, lol], however, those who cant do cant mock...

Bimman i was in the same situation as you a few years ago. I was shy still am a little and i didn't think i sung very well. I kept trying and practicing with and without the guitar. Now i feel confident that i sing and play guitar alot better. My ear had to be trained to the key i wanted to sing in. Using a capo helps alot and the more you exercise your voice the better it gets. Remember to control your breathing and sing loud and proud.

crevs.1972 wrote:

Zurf, the only problem I see with your "you drunker you get, the better I play" philosophy is that my will power isn't very good.  If the beers are being cracked open I wouldn't be able to resist and no matter how drunk my friends are, I don't think they'll cope with me singing and playing after a six pack..or two!

Every chain has a weak link.  I guess you found the one in my plan.  I'm with you on that.  More than a couple of drinks and my fingers forget which hand they are attached to, and my voice starts singing verses out of order. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Thanks Dfoskey Im not going to let it deter me from progressing.... I do my best singing on the way to work in the car so that my practice arena for the moment... lol

Hi guys... hope you don't mind a "chick" on here!  LOL!  Anyhow, I just FINALLY picked up a guitar yesterday with the intention of learning how to strum out some chords (been many years I've picked one up... but never with determination).  I took voice lessons many moons ago - so I wanted to post to the question.  Obviously I can't tell you much about singing AND playing... except what I've seen.  My dad always played and sang... as the ultimate campfire guitarist (LOL).  He had a nice voice, tho nothing exceptional.  I learned to love music from him however.  For a long time I was happy just singing.. but now that he can't play so much any more (back/elbow issues) I feel it is time for me to learn.  I think the difference in my dad's singing and mine, AND music comprehension does come from the voice lessons I took.  I think voice lessons are excellent if you really want to learn how to stay on pitch, how to breathe properly to control when you take breaths and not sound choppy in your singing, and how to harmonize with your guitar.  If you don't know much about notes and such, it is an excellent way to learn!
-- just my opinion based on what I know... which to some is a lot, to others not so much! --

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Hi guys... hope you don't mind a "chick" on here!  LOL!  Anyhow, I just FINALLY picked up a guitar yesterday with the intention of learning how to strum out some chords (been many years I've picked one up... but never with determination).  I took voice lessons many moons ago - so I wanted to post to the question.  Obviously I can't tell you much about singing AND playing... except what I've seen.  My dad always played and sang... as the ultimate campfire guitarist (LOL).  He had a nice voice, tho nothing exceptional.  I learned to love music from him however.  For a long time I was happy just singing.. but now that he can't play so much any more (back/elbow issues) I feel it is time for me to learn.  I think the difference in my dad's singing and mine, AND music comprehension does come from the voice lessons I took.  I think voice lessons are excellent if you really want to learn how to stay on pitch, how to breathe properly to control when you take breaths and not sound choppy in your singing, and how to harmonize with your guitar.  If you don't know much about notes and such, it is an excellent way to learn!
-- just my opinion based on what I know... which to some is a lot, to others not so much! --

That's some good advice. Not bad for a "chick"!!   (just kidding)

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Ha ha!  Thanks!  I felt compelled to sign up and respond... but I was a little scared since it seems mostly guys on here!  I'm glad my lack of testosterone is not a problem for ya!  I shall return... very nice forum!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi mekidsmom...

As the person who started the thread thanks for your reply, I have valued everyones opinion so far but your is the most relevant to my initial question due to you having received vocal lessons.  You have made up my mind for me so Ill give the lessons a shot.  I want to get more efficient with the 6 string first but its in my plans for the future.

And no Ive never minded a chick at all [especially one with the voice of an angel, lol].

There's a few women around Chordie, and more are surely welcome.  It's an equal opportunity playground.  Thanks for the bit of advice.  Keep it coming.

- Zurf

20 (edited by vxn911 2009-08-26 19:03:21)

Hi mekidsmom.....lol I too am a chick....I post on occasion. I have never taken voice lessons and I am sure they could help me! I did find a capo very helpful and also don't play faster than you can sing and don't sing faster than you can play.....do both at your OWN pace. PS: there are lots of women on this site, depending on the topics I guess smile.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

Hi mekidsmom and welcome to Chordie. I hope that you joining us will encourage a few more ladies to come and offer their advice on this and other topics. As Zurf says, ladies are welcome and so are young people too. We are quite a friendly bunch of folk and we don't bite lol.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey bimmam, Welcome to Chordie. smile
There's no bout a doubt it...Singing lessons can only do good things for your technique and self confidence. smile Lot's of great advise up above that I should have taken long ago. lol
Have fun with it and it will take you far.
KAP

Holy Moly...Two more chickies on board cool

Welcome mekidsmom. smile
I'm glad you felt compelled to respond to this thread. That's what Chordie is all about. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Start asking questions and helping others out and you'll be making your Dad proud around the old camp fire. big_smile
KAP

Howdy vxn911 smile
If I haven't said Welcome to Chordie before than I will say it now...Welcome to Chordie smile
Good solid advice from you. Glad you jumped in on this one.
(Now if you could only let me know who the other female members are...:lol: In another thread of course)
KAP

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)