Topic: North Carolina Playlist

Browsing through Yahoo music and came across this blog about my home state and songs that are related to it. Thought maybe Tops, Cam, and the few other North Carolinians on chordie might find it interesting. http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/yradis … -carolina/

Any songs you guys could add to the list?

The only one off the top of my head is "Steal my Kisses " by Ben Harper but I'm sure he talks about the state in at least one other song... 

Oh Yea "Carolina Girls" is another one

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: North Carolina Playlist

Heya Pix,

I aint from North Carolina but #1 on list for me would be  Elizabeth Cotten"s  " Freight Train"

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Heya Pix,

I aint from

Could have fooled me Wayne wink  Thanks for the song! I hain't never heard dat one 'fore smile Enjoyed it! -Pix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSYzFdloqY

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

I can't believe I almost forgot Stonewall Jackson!!  His home place is only 6 miles from me. My grandfather "Corby" taught him to play... Rumor has it I used to sit on the porch as a babe and listen to them jamming, though I was too young to really remember. Bit's and pieces float up every once in a while when I hear some of his songs..

Very Cool links Pix, I wish I could hear the tunes but I'm outside the US of A and blocked.
I'll find them somewhere...Where there's a will there's a way. big_smile
Hey Wayne...I liked that Elizabeth Cotten's "Freight Train" Did you notice that she is a lefty and is playing her guitar upside down. That is the first time I have seen that done, I've heard of it but never seen it. Very Cool Thanks.
Goes to show you where there's a will there's a way. big_smile

KAP

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

"Going Down The Road Feeling Bad"  Is another N.C.  folk song that's been done by some greats.

Kap, this is a true story that happened to me. I was playing at an open mic night at a little bar in North Dakota and a couple fellas were playin and asked me to join them. I played a few and the one fella was using mostly upstrums but was playing lead also and doing some great breaks. I didn't realize it until afterward that he was playin a righty guitar upside down. Him and his partner had already left before I even got his name.
   Well a couple days later I was at a guitar store tellin the guy that worked there about it. He said he knew him and the really cool thing about was he can flip it over and play right handed just as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwdFhWNL0_M

Later, Wayne P

Guitarpix wrote:

I can't believe I almost forgot Stonewall Jackson!!  His home place is only 6 miles from me. My grandfather "Corby" taught him to play... Rumor has it I used to sit on the porch as a babe and listen to them jamming, though I was too young to really remember. Bit's and pieces float up every once in a while when I hear some of his songs..

Pix, I have a friend that plays "Step Aside" by Stonewall Jackson, he's really into old country and plays guitar mostly and also plays fiddle and accordian. He has a 50 something  J-45 that he bought many years ago at a yard sale for I think $40. and when he hits one chord you know it's him playing it is really somethin.

Later, Wayne P

My latest local favorite is Chatham County Line.

Their tune "The Carolinian" is on their home page.

http://www.chathamcountyline.com/index.html

I really like "Let it Rock" - reminds me a lot of OCMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8CH3pZ2JhE

This state has a rich music history from Doc Watson to John Coltrane. More recently - Ben Folds is from right here in Winston-Salem.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Great Story Wayne, that must have been a blast jamming with them. I wonder what you would have done if he flipped his guitar while you guys were playing.
Me....I would have stopped playing to try and figure out what just happened. lol

Chatham County Line big_smile  I'll have to keep my ears open. Real tight vocals.
There is a city called Chatham, 60 miles from here. I don't suppose they get up here to play?

Thanks topdown
P.S. Check yer Google Mail. big_smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

10 (edited by wlbaye 2009-08-25 00:29:29)

You Know Kap, I felt so dumb afterward cause I knew somethin was weird but I was concentrating on playin and singin in a place I hadn't been before and I just missed it. If it happened today I would pickup on it right away cause I'm more comfortable playin and singin then I was then. I still get nervous but now days I have fun instead of crappin my pants and havin a nervous breakdown.:)

Sorry Pix, I'm not tryin to hijack your thread.:D

Later, Wayne P

Here's a few
Marshall Tucker Band -"Blue Ridge Mountain Sky"
James Taylor- "Carolina In My Mind"
Charlie Daniels- "Oh Carolina I hear you callin"

I'll try to think of more, Youd think Doc Watson has some

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Nothin could be finer than to be in Carolina, not sure by who

Cam

13 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-08-27 00:35:40)

Tobacco Road by Johnny Winter, or was it Edgar Winter

Carolina Blues- Blues Traveler

Cam

Ok I'm gonna move forward about 100 yrs. from my last posts.

"Carolina Rain"       Ryan Adams     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J4GPnmYy_0

"Oh Sweet Carolina"  Ryan Adams      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvIRk8wvC_A

My kids think I'm stuck in the 60's  and 70's

Later, Wayne P

(Another North Carolinian here!)

The first one I thought of is Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

^ Hey OZ - Another North Carolinian - cool! Where are you located? I'm in Lewisville, just outside Winston-Salem.

I'm up in the mountains, near Asheville and Black Mountain. smile

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

18 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-08-27 23:58:38)

Hi Oz,

Welcome to Chordie, there are a few of us here from NC, so hang around, we all have fun here, it's very friendly!

Another song about Carolina--Micheal Martin Murphy "Carolina In The Pines"

And how can we forget "Blue Sky" by the Allman Bro's

Although North Carolina is not directly mentioned, after my ex moved back to this state,  I'm pretty sure Elton had this event in mind when he penned "The B*tch Is Back".  big_smile

Holy Crap Jeff, you better take a time out and have a cool one or a left hander, smile

Later, Wayne P

^ LOL - Sorry folks. I had to speak to her earlier today, and that always raises my blood pressure. I think I'll have one of each, thanks Wayne. smile

Thanks for the warm welcome, Topdown and Cameron. I had noticed a lot of "NC" activity here... I've been lurking for quite a while, finally decided I was ready to jump in!

Topdown, if you can stand another round, I'll buy. Cheers!