Topic: Open Mics

I'd like to go play some open mics. What's the general rule of playing at one? Say I have 10 mins to play. Do I fill that with just my own songs or do I throw in some covers? If so, what would be the ratio of my songs to cover songs? I already have an idea of what songs to play but no idea how to go about it. Thank you
Selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: Open Mics

Hi Selso,

I had the same thoughts before I done a few.
Over here I am pressuming is the same everywhere.
You get different sorts of open night mics. You get ones like a folk night where folk can all jam together or it goes round in a circle to have a turn of playing. If others know it they will play along, if not then they keep quiet and you play the song.

Other ones where you have to put your name down and they call you up. It can be for 1,2 3 songs or whatever, depending on how busy it is.

As for do you play your own or do a cover... I would say it depends on if anyone else is doing there own songs or just covers. Covers I would say would be easy to do for your first few to give you the confidence fi someone is lacking any to play in front....the nagain maybe better doing your own since any mistakes will not be picked up so much.
Mistakes!!! dont let any wee mistakes put you off, just carry on. Folk that dont play will not mind unless they are **&^$%%^ 's and any other musicians will have made one or two in their time, they know mistakes happen.

I prefer the folk sessions, I have a better laugh at them as well as good music. I sometimes play a toned down stiff little fingers song so it is not always folk music etc that gets played at these nights.

Whatever you are happy and confident at doing I would say go for both if you get 10 minutes. Do a cover and a song of your own. Cover first to get attention then yer own and see what reaction you get. But a song of your own will not probably get as good a reaction as a cover as folk will not know it. If they do give a really good reaction you know yer on a winner.

good luck and let us know how ye get on if you go ahead.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Heya Selso,

Most open mics I have been to have a 3 or 4 song max if there are several players signed up. It seems to depend on how many show up to play.
One time another fella and I were the only one's that showed up at a open mic at a little bar and we played till closing. It was the first time I had met him and he was a pro lead player and mandolin and a wonderful singer. To this date it was the most fun I have ever had.
It is up to you to play covers or originals but I would do some covers but the crowd will give you a feel for what they like.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks guys, That's some good advice. I think I'll start out with some John Prine then move into one of my own. I've done one open mike in my life so I'm pretty nerves but determined to play to some one other then my cat and dog. There's one this Saturday and Sunday and I think I'm gonna do both. Any other advice would be great.
Thanks again,
Selso

Reverend Horton Heat

Selso ;

I would play something you know very well, I always did my best playing some easy 3 chord progression songs to start with that you know the lyrics to. It seems if you do the first one well it really loosens you up and takes the pressure off.
Good Luck Young Man!

Later, Wayne P

6 (edited by selso 2009-08-28 19:07:33)

wlbaye wrote:

Selso ;

I would play something you know very well, I always did my best playing some easy 3 chord progression songs to start with that you know the lyrics to. It seems if you do the first one well it really loosens you up and takes the pressure off.
Good Luck Young Man!

John Prine it is then!!! Maybe some Townes Van Zandt

Reverend Horton Heat

Good Idea! I find I usually open wherever I'm at when it's my turn with a John Prine song usually , Speed of the Sound Of Loneliness, That's the Way the World Goes Round, or Hello In There, I play Waitin Around To Die By Townes Van Zandt also another one I don't have to think about. I like the ones I can just play and the words just come out without thinkin about it. It seems I always do them the best.

Later, Wayne P

Hey Selso...Can't go wrong with John Prine. smile
If I ever regained the moxy to do an open mic I would go loaded for bear. Try and get a feel of what the audience is into and then play for them the most emotionally connecting song that you know and play well enough to highlight your style of playing and singing.
I could be wrong but I think audiences at open mics are there for the atmosphere. Play to that using your strengths and you'll have a blast my friend.

Looking forwards to a couple of gleaming reviews in Southpaws thread.

Have a Blast smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Ha Selso soaz!

All the above is brilliant advice! I would add - take a second before beginning your first song to think of the tempo, don't just jump in. I make this this mistake loads and end up playing 3 1/2 minute songs in 1 minute 20 dead! big_smile

Remember that the audience has got to hear, but play to the sound you're making rather than the audience or yourself.

Break a leg mate and let us know how it went! cool

Chons da!!!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Kaj,
very good advice there.
I remember my first gig. We had 10 songs and timed it in the studio to last 40 minutes. We had finished in under half hour. People thought we were doing cover versions deliberatly as punk songs.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Some open mics get a bit noisy/rowdy as the night goes on. If I am playing one of these I try to get there early & get on as soon as possible. Also because I prefer to do slower, quieter songs. It sometimes works out that I get to go on again later, in which case I do something more up tempo.
Also, open mics vary in regard to the atmosphere, mix of people, type of audience etc., so you may have to try a few to find out what suits you best.
Would like to know how you get on!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to be ready when its your turn. Don't get up on stage and begin scratching your watch or winding your butt. Be ready. Walk up to the mic, introduce yourself, get your set-up outta the way and begin your 1st song. If the crowd likes the song, thank them and begin your next song. Only do as many songs as you have time for, finish your set and make way for the next person.

Nela

This all sounds like good advise. Now if anywhere around here had open mic night i'd be set. I guess i'll just keep singing for my family and my church congragation.
Good Luck Selso. Remember to have fun no matter what the turn out.