Topic: switching from finger picking to a pick

I am having trouble with the transition, not so much with single notes, however my strumming sounds extremely harsh. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: switching from finger picking to a pick

I've never gone from finger pickin to pickin, but there's a wealth of practicing in order to get comfortable with the pick itself. There seem to be 2 main areas.

1. Strumming - try and use the heaviest pick you feel comfortable with, hold it lightly when you strum and let the pick move slightly as it hits the strings. This prevents the pick catching on the strings. Look at the angle that the pick hits the string, it can be side on or twisted, it can be at 90 degrees, or 45 degrees whatever you feel best with.You can also take a look at the developing your right hand sections here - http://www.folkofthewood.com/Acoustic_G … ssons.html .

2. Cross Picking : You also need to be practicing picking individual strings in sequence. Take a look at Crosspicking Guitar and run through some of the exercises. See  http://www.folkofthewood.com/Crosspicki … sons.html.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Get a soft pick. 

Sorry for giving exactly the opposite advice as StranSongs. 

I also fingerpick mostly, and when I use a pick I horribly abuse and beat upon my guitar.  I've found that a thin/soft pick helps.  StranSongs' advice is probably better in the long run, though.  Learning to gently strum would be better than continuing to pound on the poor instrument. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by StranSongs 2009-08-27 15:37:36)

I used to use soft picks, but I couldn't use them to shift to pick individual notes - I ended up trying to bend the picks to get them to stiffen up.

Now my daughter uses the old soft picks for sticking on my birthday card every year - it's the best use for them.

There are a lot of pick types - tortex is very good. It is thin, but returns to its original shape very quickly. I use Dunlop yellow 73's. It allows you to strum and pick. If you want to use a pick, then persevere with the loose hold on the pick. It pays dividends in the long run.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

thanks everyone, im using a very light pick that i slightly modified by rounding off the point somewhat. It seems to be working for me. I am a leftie that feels far more comfortable playing rightie; I sometimes have wondered if that has played a role. Again, thanks for the advice.

Ah, that must be it.  The only one note picking I do is betwixt and between strums to put some bouncy country rhythm to the strumming.  I just started practicing scales on my electric so that I can do put some blues riffs in now and then. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I agree with the above. I use a thin pick (.5mm) for strumming and a very thick pick for playing leads (Dunlop Jazz 3). Your mileage may vary......

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hey Washburnblues! cool (How can you have the blues if you play a Washburn? big_smile )

Dunlops all the way!

Thin reds (.5) for strumming only.
Orange (.6) for strumming with a bit of individual note picking (or I have to compete my strumming against lots of noise.)
Yellow (.7) for lots of individual note picking and a little strumming.
And Stubbies as thick as a house for fast jazz.
Fingers when I forget or drop my pick.
Then sometimes I throw these rules out 'cause I can be a contrary bugger!

(By the way, my fingernails are Jim Dunlop issue as well! big_smile )

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

thanks Kaji, I love my wahhburn and your right; it is hard feelin blue when your playin a washburn SMOOOOTH. I going to p/u some newpicks next week. Thanks.

I think it's all in personal preference. I use the Jazz III for almost everything and also hybrid pick a lot of passages as well. Best of luck...

washburnblues wrote:

thanks Kaji, I love my wahhburn and your right; it is hard feelin blue when your playin a washburn SMOOOOTH.

Well I think you can feel blue with a Washburn as..
It's my colour of choice for my Washburn electro acoustic. I just love Blue smile
ark

i have problems with a pick too.  i sound pretty good finger picking and it's harder to keep the rhythm with a pick...but it's louder with a pick so i'm torn between wanting to use a pick and not.  good idea rounding it off more, it does sound too harsh with a point!  i was wondering if anyone uses a thumb pick and likes it cuz i use my thumb to pick anyway.  lemme know!

Hello,

I am a self taught fingerpicker and also flatpicker, I use a thumb pick alot and it will come easy for you if you use your thumb without a pick now. It seems kinda weird at first switching from no picks to thumbpick or flatpick, but I like the versatility now and am still working on them all. A thumb pick will magnify mistakes when fingerpickin so don't get discouraged it really increases the volume.
If you get into a thumb pick you will advance to palm muting and that gives you a whole new sound also. I would say give it a try you will like it. You will have to experiment with thumbpicks there are a lot of choices.
I still enjoy and I think I play the best with just flesh on strings but sometimes a feller or gal needs more volume.

Later, Wayne P

I'm a lead/ hybrid picker.  I use Dunlop Tortex (delrin) .60 mm picks.  The orange ones.  I've used these exclusively for at least 25 years (except for open tunings.  I'll use National medium thumb picks for that).   My guitars are strung with gages from .010" to .012" but I use the same pick on all of them. Except the resonator.  That's different. 

Translation:  Try them all.  Some companies will sell you a variety pack just to try them out. Eventually, you'll settle on your best compromise.  Then you'll buy some more.  Then you'll get some different ones.  You'll try your first thumb pick. Then you'll throw it out and 15 years later you'll buy them by the dozen.  Crazy isn't it?

Now available in 5G !