Topic: Performance - Need Help!

Hello everyone.  I have been playing for a few years and have done the odd performance of a few songs here and there.  I have also busked a couple of times and did OK.

The thing is, a friend has asked me to play at a party and I said I would, thinking it would be a smallish thing.  It has now taken on a life of it's own and he has told everyone he has a singer!  I just don't know if I am good enough.

Questions...

How hard is it to get some backing tracks to help me and would they help?  I have an amp, speakers and a laptop

Secondly, I sometimes struggle with the high notes in some of my songs.  Is it acceptable to tune the guitar down?  How do you do this exactly?  I know you loosen the strings, but how much do you tone down?  Do you make the 5th string as the 6th was and go from there?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Re: Performance - Need Help!

Hey Vicswitchblade and welcome to Chordie! cool

Don't tune your guitar down! When people do this they only go down 1 or 2 semitones (1 or 2 frets) and tuning back will be a nightmare in the middle of a gig. Use a capo and experiment with different places on the fretbpard to get the desired results (a capo means you can play the chords you're used to playing but change the key - thus how easy it is to sing).

Backing tracks can be bought or you can find some free ones but the quality varies. If you are going to take your laptop it is worth getting them as MIDI files so you can change the key and take out any instruments/voices you don't want which you can't with audio.

The only other advice is: think about what you're playing; as it's a wedding love songs and danceable rock n roll will go down well, songs about suicide, divorce and how my baby left me won't.

Hop this gives you a start towards the answer you're after. Don't be afraid to get back and ask more questions or clarification of answers given.

You've come to the right place mate! cool

Hope your gig goes brilliantly for you ans all concerned!

Chons da!!!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hiya mate, cheers for the message.  Is it Cornwall you are from?

Thanks for the advice.  Couldn't I tune down and then use the capo if necessary for some songs?  Just a thought.  It makes my singing so much more comfortable...I feel like if I haven't got to worry about searching for the high note, I will be able to concentrate more on the song itself.  I have tried using the capo but surely that makes the notes higher and higher?  I know I am probably wrong about this.  Also, the capo seems to make the guitar sound duller...it doesn't seem to ring out like it should.

I get what you say about the songs too...the thing is I like a whole range but it is probably best to stick to songs people all know?  But I also want to do what i feel like I can do well.

I could probably do with a boost in confidence.  Maybe I will get out in the streets of Gibraltar again (I live in Spain now) and see how I get on.

Cheers again.  Chons da and buena suerte, as they say here.

hi vic
this might sound like a joke response but i am serious

go and play! even if you mate ha said he has got a singer and heres why

if you are not to everyone's liken then it is your mates fault.
if they are all drinking and hear you playing live music the chances are they will love it, especially if you can pull it off through busking
dont play all night. let them wait a while, let them play some music on the stereo or ipiod etc first, let them get a few drinks in them as well as you if you drink. Have a laugh and join in the party and see yourselgf as one of the gusts and not the entertainment even though you will be.
tak to the folk inbetween songs. ask if they want to hear anything you know.

you will have a great time and so will the party goers.

let us know how ye get on.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I think that's top advice Ken. I've played at a number of parties for my mates and wives / girlfriends etc. I always do exactly what you suggest. The only thing I'd say from shambolic experience is not to get TOO into party mode. When I do that my fingers turn into wet spaghetti and my playing falls to bits. Stick on the right side of tipsy and you'll be loose enough to relax but with it enough to play well.

The most important thing for me, whilst admittedly a cliche, is to have fun and remember that most people will be well impressed you're even stepping up. If it was easy everyone would be playing.

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Ha Vic!

My tus an Howelsedhes!

Fantastic advice from Ken and Bud, Mark it well is to be wise!

Now to capo - Dullness. Do you have a Capo that can squeeze the strings hard enough? I have a Keyser like this.

http://www.kysermusical.com/product_image.php?imageid=19

because it changes quickly, it squeezes hard enough, it looks cool and it has a lifetime garauntee!!!! cool

Try placing the capo nearer the fret or further from it - do you get a better sound when you do this with what you've got? Are the strings just dull because they need changing?

To the chords getting higher - YES! they do, BUT if you have a piece with some great chords and runs you can find a key that is slap bang in the middle of your best singing range, be that Eb, A# - whatever is good for you and with the capo you can do that with keys with simple chords you know like C - G, Am, C, F; G - G, Em, C, D; etc.

Check out this link courtesy of the venerable Flatpicker 55! This is just C and G (and some DAMMNED fancy left and right hand work) but look where N.B.'s Capo is - is he screeching or singing comfortably?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Krey-_0-TA

Can you down tune? Yes of course you can, but you have to be careful how low you go for 2 reasons - less tension can alter negatively the vibration of the string resulting in loss of tone and volume, also the guitar is usually designed and supplied to function at its' best in Concert Tuning - A = 440Hz; if you change the stresses you may need to have the guitar Set-Up to cope with the different tension - the Truss-Rod adjusted and/or the Topnut or Bridge raised or lowered.

I was thinking also that if you are thinking of changing the tuning for different songs mid-gig you will be making problems for yourself unless you are able to interact with your audience at the same time as tuning - like this amazing guy can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3nv4vdASBQ

Whatever you decide to do, Buena Suerte ha Chons Da!

I'm sure it'll go fine for you if you relax and enjoy as was said before my rambling.

Oh! Final thoughts: Sort out a set list. Make sure you have everything you could play at that event written down in some sort of order you intend to play in - get requests from bride, groom, best man, etc, etc,.

Also, if you need a music stand (especially if your books enable you to play requests) take it, they are accepted!

Oh, and enjoy yo.... oh yeah, been said!

big_smile

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Is Norman Blake cool or what ????

Mind you I think I hear a backing guitar in there too.

All I have to say is that using a capo means you can sing lower too. Harmony is about notes that weave together well. The capo can go up, but it doesn't stop you going down . . . . moses !

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

8 (edited by KajiMa 2009-09-01 14:52:22)

Been thinking more about this Vicswitchblade.

If you are playing a song in G (say G, C, D and Em) but the song has high notes you cannot reach and when you try singing an octave lower (same notes, same melody but one octave or 12 frets down) it's too low, if you move the capo up a few frets then yes, the version that had some high notes you couldn't reach will be raised meaning you couldn't hit most of/all of the notes...

BUT - what you were singing one octave down that had notes that were too low will also come up and you'll find (with experimentation and finding the right fret) that it comes into a range that is comfortable to sing in and you can hit all the notes and although the Capo means the chords will be higher pitched, what you are singing will be lower!

Hope this makes both the recommendation for and use of a Capo a bit clearer, if not, keep coming back - one of us WILL have YOUR answer!

Chons da! (Buena suerte!)