Topic: Geocaching anybody?

I just discovered / read about this hobby last week. Today, I took my youngest son to purchase a relatively inexpensive GPS unit ($90 USD) and had our first hunt.

The gist of the activity is somebody hides a little box in the woods (or anywhere), posts the GPS coordinates on-line and other folks try to locate it. Inside the box is typically a log book and maybe some trinkets (take one / leave one). The GPS will get you to 25 to 50 feet of the item, but it could be hidden under a log or otherwise concealed – it’s not as easy as it sounds.

Anyway, we had a blast today and this seems like a great activity. Take your kids outdoors, go for a little hike, enjoy nature. It amazed me that there are several hundred caches hidden very near my home town. After the initial cost of the GPS, the hobby is basically free.

Anyway, just wondering if any other chordians are active in geocaching and wanted to introduce it to the folks who weren’t. Here’s more info from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

The biggest website is below. Put in your zip code, you may be amazed what is hidden right around your town.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Geocaching anybody?

I'm down with it Jeff. There are some guys fro the Utah area that frequent one of my regular giggin' locales that have introduced me to this of which you speak. Not sure if they were supposed to or not but they showed me where the tracking sensor is located. Seems kinda cool, like an adult treasure hunt with radar......

Hope all is well with you and yours,
Toney

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Seems kinda cool, like an adult treasure hunt with radar......

Toney

Exactly what it is Toney. I've been looking for something to do with my kids on the weekends I have them. Baseball keeps us busy in the spring / early summer, but the rest of the year not much to do around here. This is a perfect activity to do together, get them outside and away from the video games. Most of the "treasures" are in the woods or off a public park, so you get to explore a bit. Going to explore some trails from the Civil War tomorrow.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Didn't they used to do that with a 2 way radio transmitter before GPS became widely available???

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

5 (edited by StranSongs 2009-08-30 11:17:22)

Sounds like it's done right in the states.

We came upon one of these caches while walking around an old (as in four - five hundred years, maybe more ) graveyard at a place called Layde. What got us interested was a newly carved name at the base of one of the stones - saying "Wizard of Zigton". It very clearly should not have been there as no-one has been buried in the place for about 150 years.

We did the internet search and sure enough there was a reference to a geocache which is under one of the grave surrounds. I can understand why people would be drawn to the place, it is beautiful, and in quiet repose ( I wrote a song about it which was posted on Chordie), but I thought cutting words into someone else's grave stone went too far.  There's a reference here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de … 9424e9f156 .

If you're only turning over logs and stuff, Topdown, then go for it. Anything that drags kids away from the computer and pay per view is good in my book.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

I never understood it until you posted and I read a little about it. Lots of stuff hidden within 25 miles of me. I already have a GPS. May have to give it a go.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

7 (edited by fatstrings 2009-08-31 04:57:22)

This is actually really fun. Here in middle Tennessee I've heard of events where large groups of people get together and they go out and find as many caches that they kind find, sort of a friendly competition. I've not participated in any events but have looked for several caches. I got started when my family would travel all over the state and beyond to our sons football(soccer) games. We'd usually be gone over night and it was a good way to kill a few hours between games instead of sitting around in the hotel room.

I bought several guitar pics to use as an "exchange" in the cache boxes. I've found out, after finding several caches, that guitar pics are used a lot in these boxes. Anyway, I'd recommend trying it if you've got a GPS; if not borrow one and give it try, you will not be dissappointed when you make your first find. There is some sort of gratifying feeling of accomplishment when you find one of these caches. smile

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

This sounds like alot of fun but be very careful if in the woods. Deer season is coming up and that could be a dangerous thing to be in the woods on a geo hunt while others are hunting wildlife with loaded weapons.