Topic: Just Starting Out

Hi Guys
I have been wanting to learn to play the guitar for years and my wife just bought me an acoustic guitar. I really love it.
I have been playing with it every day for hours. A friend of my wife has been teaching me a few cords like A, C, G, D, E and F (very hard).
I can play most of these cords when looking at the pratice sheet that she drew out for me, but I can't seem to play any songs yet because I cant move quickly with my fingers between each cord.
My fingers are really sore and have actually gone very hard at the tips of them, Is this normal for newbies?
And can anyone suggest any easy songs for me to pratice on so that I can finally hear my guitar play a song.

Many thanks
this site rocks.

2 (edited by zguitar 2009-08-31 04:33:24)

Re: Just Starting Out

Welcome to Chordie!!!!

Congratulations on entering the world of guitar playing. It will give you satisfaction like nothing else.

That's good that your fingers are getting calluses, thats what keeps them from hurting too much.

As for easy songs, try the beginners books here.

Easiest one I know is Free Fallin by Tom Petty.

D G G D A  -one downstroke for each chord. Capo on the 2nd fret. It's really easy.

Another is Mad World by Tears for Fears.

Em G D A  -strum DDUUD for each chord. thats the verse.

Chorus is Em A same strum.

We might be getting a sticky posted to aid newbs like us with good resources.

Southpaw41l where's our sticky??????????????

Anyway, good luck.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Zguitar thanks for your reply
I will have a go at Free Fallin  by Tom Petty.
Don't know yet how to do an Em cord so I will leave Mad world for a later date (Cool song though)
Cant wait for the day when I can play a full song. It's my new mission in life lol.

Thanks again Zguitar.

Hey Pcoulter31 and welcome to Chordie! cool

Hey Zguitar!

Em chord very easy - all strings open except A/5th string 2nd fret and D/4th string 2nd fret. Strum everything!

If you are playing a G chord you leave the finger that's pressing on the 5th string at the 2nd fret where it is and bring a finger underneath that one to press the 4th string at 2nd fret. Practice that change.

When you play a C chord there is one finger ready in place to play the Em. Practice all these changes to the Em

Practice. Practice some more. Practice even more and gradually you WILL get gooder (Splan da Kenny cool ).

Don't shy from the things that are hard. The hard bits aren't preventing you from learning/holding your flow, NOT learning them will prevent your learning/flow -

But then Elvis confessed in later years to only knowing 3 chords!

Chons da in whichever route you take and good on yer for finding Chordie and posting! Look forward to more!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hi!  I just started this week... check out the free lessons from www.justinguitar.com -- he starts you out with just A,D,E ... then suggests practicing minute changes (go back and forth between like A&E for example as many times as possible in a minute... then try to beat your own score to build up your chord changes).  As for an easy song that uses JUST these three chords... I'm working with "leaving on a jet plane" from the beginners books others are talking about.  It primarily goes back and forth between A&D with E thrown in here and there... you can just strum each cord down once as you're working on your chord changes and then work on the strumming pattern later on!  =0)  anyhow... that's what I'm doing!  Good Luck!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

A tip that may help you on chord progressions . A lot of songs that follow a pattern  A D E  are called a 1 4 5 progression meaning the A chord is the 1 chord or tonic, usually the key of the song, the D chord is 4 and E is 5 . I am betting the songs you mention that have an E thrown in are a one  four, one  four and one  five progression  that means the first two verses are  A & D and A & D and third verse would be A  E  and back to A . It helps me in remembering the song what progression they are in. Hope this makes some sense. I think your progression would be a one four, one four, one five and back to one progression

mekidsmom wrote:

Hi!  I just started this week... check out the free lessons from www.justinguitar.com -- he starts you out with just A,D,E ... then suggests practicing minute changes (go back and forth between like A&E for example as many times as possible in a minute... then try to beat your own score to build up your chord changes).  As for an easy song that uses JUST these three chords... I'm working with "leaving on a jet plane" from the beginners books others are talking about.  It primarily goes back and forth between A&D with E thrown in here and there... you can just strum each cord down once as you're working on your chord changes and then work on the strumming pattern later on!  =0)  anyhow... that's what I'm doing!  Good Luck!

Later, Wayne P

There are lots of songs with 3 chords or so.  It just takes a lot of practice everyday to get your chord fingers to remember where they should be.  Just practice changing from one chord to another.  Over and over and over.  You'll find yourself getting better before you know it.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

since our new sticky is not available yet, here are my go to resources.

On youtube,

yourguitarsage
justinsandercoe
gally042
siggi mertens
handsomealvin

all these guys are great teachers.

www.guitar.gg is another cool site. I did his free lesson thing and will eventually pay for his lessons. He teaches the way I need to be taught.

Keep Rockin!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Howdy Doody and Welcome to Chordie  pcoulter31 and zguitar. smile

No such thing as a stupid question here. big_smile

As you can see...we're a real friendly bunch that love to give and receive any kind of advice that is available.
Another tip touched on and is a valuable source is Youtube, or pretty much any online music site.

Simply search out the song you want, add "tutorial" or "cover" in the search string and you should find a wealth of vids that show and explain how they are played. Notice though that they might not be how they were written originally. That's OK though as it all helps.

Hope that helps you get gooder. big_smile

KAP

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

It don't get any simplier than this.

Easy strum patern - down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up - repeat.
As you strum count to yourself (one on down - and on up).
Like this - 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & repeat.

Pick and 3 chord progression in a simple key such as G, A or D.
Chords would be:
G - C - D (or D7)
A - D - E  (or E7)
D - G - A (or A7)

Strum the chords in a pattern (per chord) as follows - 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &.
G....G....G....G....C...C...G...G...D7....D7....G....G.

Do this slow for now in all keys - Key of G - Key of A - Key of D. Speed will come later.

Once you have this pattern down, along with the counting, you will be able to play hundreds of songs.

THIS IS A 12 BAR BLUES PATTERN - VERY SIMPLE - AND EVERYONE WILL RECONIZE IT!

The key of E is probally the most common but I left it out due to it having a B chord (or B7) which is a dificult chord for a beginner.   

Nela

Hello,
your are coming out with the same stuff i did 7 months ago...
i now can play loads of tunes and scales etc ....Its just time my friend and practice....2 hours aday will get you flying in around 3 months ...
practice your barre chords and they will come very easily soon ..
Good luck
s

Great that you have the chord shapes down.

Yes, it's normal for your fingers to hurt.

As far as getting between the chords, think about how you will move your fingers on specific changes.  Pick a song you want to play (even if just down strum in time with the beat) and then practice those chord changes.  For instance, if you pick Paradise by John Prine, which is G -C - G - D over and over (I think, going from memory here), then you would practice G to C over and over until you can do it in time with the beat.  Then you would practice C to G over and over until you can do it in time with the beat.  Then you would practice G to D, and D to G.  When I say "in time with the beat", what I really mean to say is such that you can play the song smoothly without having to pause for the chord change.  It will take time and many, many, many repititions of doing the chord changes.  And once you've got it down, you'll forget it in a week and have to practice it again.  Eventually, though, it will be second nature and you won't even have to think about it.  You'll be able to do it at will in any song.  Cool when that time comes.  How long?  Differs for everyone.  The thing is to keep moving in the right direction. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Just keep at it. I have also just started, and I have just gotten to the point where the callouses have started to form on my finger tips. Now that my fingers don't hurt as much, playing is actually fun. All ya gotta do is keep it up.

Have fun.

I love deadlines, I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)