Topic: Good guitar for beginner ?

Hi  - am looking for a good cheap(ish) guitar for a friend who wants to start playing. 6 string acoustic, 70 to 100 GBP. Will have a look around the local music shops, of course, but am just looking for ideas of what makes/models to look at first. Will probably try Yamaha, Tanglewood & Vintage, but there are bound to be a lot more I've never heard of. So any recommendations or tips would be great. Will also look out for secondhand, of course.
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Good guitar for beginner ?

I paid $125 for a like new condition Johnson for our church. Great sound, easy to chord and stays in tune. Got it at a Pawn shop and he threw in a very used case.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hey Norm,

The Yamaha F310 gets good all round reviews. But make sure you try one first.

You can get the starter pack from around 100 notes.

Cheers,
Graham

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”

Jimi Hendrix

When i started i got a Jasmine S35 by Takamine for $90 and it has held up for over 10 years. It plays really well and i still choose to play it over my more expensive guitars most of the time. I have looked and haven't found any better in this price range.

Thanks guys. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place!
Any more suggestions?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

your better off, spending the 150 on a starter, couse the neck will be thinner. less cramp. and you wont have to tilt the guitar over as much. 
stagg
earthfire
or jump on ebay. i ve just got a 12 string semi acustic for 41 quid. plays/sounds great. they do 6 string aswell. company is lindo.

I was born deaf, so never got to love music till my teens. after a fair few op's, i hear %15 now.
i just love to play guitar (not brill) and feel the the song work.
I m learning to sing and key in and will produce an cd soon. I hope. proceeds go to deaf children ward
Thankyou Chordie

I'd say the answer is in your sig smile   I'd go Godin... Maybe a used ceder or spruce 6 by S&P, Art & Lutherie, or a good used Seagull S6. The 24.5 inch scale of these guitars are real beginner friendly and they have an outstanding tone for the money. It would be something he wouldn't have to upgrade for a long time. With them being shorter scale they have less string tension and are less prone to have "bellies" or bad necks making them a safer bet when buying used.  As you can tell, I recommend buying used smile You get more guitar for the money and the better you get the easier it will be to play and the better it will sound making you want to play it more often and progress. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I second Guitarpix - Godin makes some very affordable and great sounding acoustic instruments under a variety of names (Art and Lutherie, Simon and Patrick, and my favourite, Norman).  My buddy who owns a Martin, couldn't wait to play my Norman B50 - and admitted it was more guitar for the money than his.  They play well, stay in tune, and have an excellent rounded tone.
Oh, yeah, and Yamaha offers good instruments for the money as well.

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650