Topic: Can anyone sing??

Hiya Fellow Chordians

What is your opinion? can anyone sing? hmm  i mean with a reasonable sound...
I must admit i can't, though i do try roll  i never seem to find the right"pitch" for my voice

Ave had no vocal training at all,  never really had a need to sing owt (bar Christmas time with the kids) now am 48 picked up the guitar 2 years ago and want to sing along to what am playing.

Do i stand a cat in hell's chance? given i think i dont have a musical ear!

Cheers Lads & lasses  cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: Can anyone sing??

Keep experimenting with a capo, most of my songs are in the key G and this is too low for me so when I sing a song in G I need a capo on the 1st to 3rd fret.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

I dont know if ye will get many chordians replying saying they can sing in case it makes them look big headed,

I can sing, I think i have an alright voice sometimes and then other times not.

I think my voice is more suited to folkie sort of songs. I dont think i am much good at singing heavy rock songs unless I make them sound a bit tamer, but I can sing a few sex pistols songs and slf and clash.

maybe some people that think they cannot sing are just singing the wrong genre of music?

Yeah, I am great, I love me.

Ken

lol

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ha Micky soaz!

Do you sing along with the radio? in the shower/bath? while doing something else?

Does it makie you feel good singing?

That's one question answered.

Hear's a simple exercise for ya t' try, assuming the last answer was affirmative: use a simple major scale - take C major - and play the first three notes of the scale singing along to the guitar, then after three notes stop playing the guitar but continue singing the scale holding the last note so you can play it on the guitar to find how close you are. Try doing this with as many scales as possible, but remember that if your ears hear you practising first it will be easier.

Now if you can get to the 8th note and be roughly in tune, you've got something to work with. Remember tho' that what happens on the terraces (whilst great fun) is not singing but has more to do with shouting to drown the other supporters out.

Do you find you can only sing if there is a note to sing to and can sing those notes then? - HEY! Good enough!

A lot of people sing but get embarrassed and shouldn't (and there are those that don't get embarrassed and should) I fall into the first category: it's either that I like the tone but can't stand the timbre or like the timbre but can't stand the tone.

You're going to have lose any embarrassment you may have for the next bit: try making as many weird sounds and noises that you can with your gut/chest/throat/nose/mouth - any noises, put on a woman's vox, try talking/singing like a cartoon character, try to make your vox sound as different to yourself as you can - go mad baby noises the lot!!!

Just don't strain your throat, if it hurts after singing (or doing vox exercises) you are possibly doing something wrong and could end up permanently damaging whet you've got.

This will help you to exercise AND discover more about your vox. When you sing, it should come without forcing it. Most people have tune in them but will never be Pavarotti! Enjoy it. you don't have to sing for anyone but yourself.

Any help you need, soaz, just ask! cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Thanks lads !!

i'll give what i understood a go lol God! noises from any orifices (gulp!)

i tend to sing RnR 1950's stuff Holly/Everlys Etc with a bit of Cash & country, mainly to myself! yes i do get embarrassed even though i enjoy it lol and my guitar playing will go haywire too( though i did video myself once OMG! I sounded crap)....also  i dont push myself enough to sing other gendres and i know i should!!......

maybe 2 years is'nt long enough experence for this ole man lol.....Practice Practice

looks like more confidence would be of help (or a thick skin lol)

thanks again!     Micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Micky, Keep on singin and recording yourself and you will see improvement . Make use of your capo and on songs you can't hit the high notes, move your capo around and find your sweet spot.
A feller once told me when I was down on my voice," make the best of it son, it's the only voice you're gonna get, if folks don"t like it they can leave."

Later, Wayne P

Not here.  Not with good sound.  I can sing with pretty good volume, and that will have to do.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Mickey
Use a capo for any song you want to try.   I was advised by my brother that when I sing along I tend to sing a step below the note.  Apparently this was because (to me) it was "easy" on the voice.  Now that I see that I can avoid it.  Capo changes key but doesn't mean your vocal part goes up.  But overall a capo is the most effective tool to bring more songs into your comfort.
Steve

Most people can sing, there are a few who are 'tone deaf' and will never hit a right note but they are few and far between. When we sing, or talk for that matter, we hear ourselves internally and not with our ears alone so recordings of our own voice will sound strange at first.

Recording yourself and listening critically to the results to correct errors can be a great help. Don't forget that your voice is like any other musical instrument, you have to practice using it to get it right. Standing and singing from the diaphragm, not from your lungs, will help you get the best from your voice and as others have said finding the right key to suit your vocal range is important.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I sang lead and backup in barroom bands for 24 years. I don't have the beautiful vocal instrument some lucky people are born with. I attained competence as a vocalist by, first, covering several popular singer's hit songs that I found I could get away with,
and later finding my own style as a result of that good opportunity and experience.
Nobody is going to break down doors to buy the one C.D. I made as a guitar/vocalist but I know many hundreds of tunes for every emotion and how to kick a party up a level or two. That's enough to get me hired over younger, better looking players.
I can make you laugh or cry with my tuba. cool

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Fortunately, I have a pretty good voice.  Sang in high school choir and quartet for 4 years.  I can hit the notes right most all the time.  One of the things I find myself doing is when I sing a part of the song that is suddenly too high, I automatically drop an octave without a problem.  Roy Orbison did this quite a bit in his songs.  Anyway, singing is not my problem.  Keeping the strumming going evenly with my singing is sometimes strained.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

As far as technique goes, I find with songs it's better to concentrate on keeping the vocals tight and letting the guitar play "2nd Fiddle" ( big_smile ) to the lyric. If the guitar isn't tight, the song still stays together and the guitar (eventually) "learns its' place in the song," then when the singing stops it's all attention to guitar! I find this has helped me over some DIRE mistakes in front of audiences!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

hi mickey i reackon i'm a bit flat but its all i've got so i try to play low to enhance the sound,i was on hols in a club when they we're singing only the lonely by roy orbison,i was giving it 200% i just love it,everyone was giving me looks after but music and songs should be enjoyed and i like a good singalong,bit red faced after ho ho.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Mick, the answer is ''yes'' and ''no''. If sounds coming out of your mouth whilst playing the guitar are to be called singing = yes. If sounds coming out of your mouth don't enhance the guitar, no matter how bad the playing is = NO. I tried to sing one of my songs a while back, and after SWAMBO, [she who always must be obeyed] finally stopped larfin', she threatened to phone a lawyer if I ever attempted to sing anything EVER again. I hope that this helps you.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

15 (edited by dfoskey 2009-09-10 16:37:05)

Micky as it was stated earlier in this thread your voice is like any other instrument and the more you use it the better you get at it. Well i can testify to that as truth.  Before i got serious with my playing and singing i couldn't stand to hear myself and my wife and kids were running to another room. Now after a few years my vocal range has doubled and i feel that i have a pretty good singing voice and the whole family can stand to stay in the same room with me. Just keep at it and remember as long as you are happy with it that's all that matters. Then if you're not you could always hum. lol

I can sing, just not well. Some day's it's hit or miss. I'm still very shy in front of people so it's better when I'm alone though I am getting more comfortable with it.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

For anyone who is interested in improving their singing, even just for "fun", I would suggest you look in your community for a choir or large choral group to join.

Singing in a big group will build your confidence! Often a skilled Director will give vocal instruction as part of the program, this is in essence a *free voice lesson* if you listen, and then practice and apply what you've learned. Simply being a participant will most likely improve your ability to find and sustain pitch with your voice, and improve your ear for harmony.

Don't expect instant miracles, a good voice can take as long to train as any instrument. big_smile

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

yea i sing have been since I was around 5 with my older sisters I come from a musical family my dad and mom both were musicians and singers so is my brother, and all my uncles were musicians we always got together and sang old Irish ballads like "Gallway Bay" fond memories of my childhood rare as they were smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I sing and took voice lessons... it all started when I was little while dad played the guitar, as a teen I moved into solos, voice lessons, competitions and singing with pianos at weddings and such.  My problem is now trying to re-train myself with the guitar.  Mind you I'm only a few weeks into learning the guitar, but It's quite a feat to be able to keep the rhythm going on the guitar in the "background" while my voice is doing something else.  I say it's a bit like rubbing your tummy and patting your head.  With practice, we can get better at just about anything. 

Record yourself singing as much as possible and listen to it a lot.  Get used to hearing what your voice sounds like to others.  I don't get shocked anymore... I now sound to myself as I sound to others.  That's odd, but true.  On the other hand, if I'd have gone by what I thought I sounded like in recording when I was first told to listen to myself instead of what others thought... I'd have quit singing long ago!

As for just singing... unrelated to guitar.... sing everything!  Listen to several different radio stations and learn some other types of songs.  Just sing... find time to be alone and belt it out.  Then the next time someone walks in on you with your heart in the middle of a song, try to keep going... and just wait to see what they say.  If they've never heard you really truly sing from your heart before, then you'll likely get an honest answer as to if you sound good or not!  smile

ozmoid's suggestion of joining a choir is excellent.  Church choirs are of course always totally free!  Harmony is extremely important when singing along with anything. 

As a last note... I don't think I'm an "awesome" singer or anything.  I think I can sing... I think I can sing Opera type songs better than anything... sadly, I don't think I'll ever play anything like that on the guitar... so ...  perhaps some campfire songs will work best for me.  I've heard a lot of good music around the campfire come from people who can't sing so well... it was still great music!  Don't let your voice hold you back.  If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have a new quote in my signature line thanks to Mekidsmom.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

LMAO!  Glad I could help!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

It's just so true.