Topic: just have fun

i spend 1 to 2 hours a night being a good boy, i practice my scales, my stretches and everything else that goes with the text book lessons; but the bottom line is this: Its friday night, relax and just have fun! play what feels good and remind yourself why you started playing guitar.  Im enjoying my beer and playing my favorite songs, I suggest you do the same, music is healing no matter how it may sound to bystanders. We are all rockstars at 11:00 every Friday night. Rock On My Friends.

Re: just have fun

By the way Robert Cray says it all Could i HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG, havent we all.

Hi washburnblues, that sounds like about what I do and you are right it really is a feel good time.I dont feel like arockstar but I sure do feel alot better.       dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Washburn,

I have to agree that learning to play the guitar should be fun, in fact I would say that each time you pick your guitar up to practice scales etc, you should finish the session by letting your hair down to relax and unwind.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Oh Man.  You've just woken me up to the realisation that my practice over the last few weeks has gone to pot.
I'm a real newbie and had started a strict practice routine; 1 night chord changes, another night scales, etc.
Now I randomly pick the guitar up and just strum away with no focus for 10 mins and put it back.

Time to sort it out! 

1 - 2 hours a night is not possible for me, but up to an hour fairly realistic. 

So do you do a number of things during a practice or focus on one task per evening?

My biggest problem is still stretching, so I now I need to concentrate on that.

thanks!

Last night I came home to find half a dozen of the neighborhood kids kicking a soccer ball around the back field.  The younger kids were climbing all over the playset in our backyard.  My wife was on the computer relaxing. 

You can bet what I did.  I grabbed my guitar and left behind my lesson books and went to strum some songs on the back patio so I could keep an eye on the kids while I belted it out.  Half a dozen eight year old girls make for an inattentive audience, which is a good thing in my case.  Besides, someone's got to introduce them to Sissified 70's Folk/Pop.

Unfortunately, my hair no longer lets down.  It has entirely let go.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

First of all my apologies to Zurf, I never thought about the follically challenged when I mentioned letting ones hair down smile. However in my defence I was thinking metaphorically when I mentioned it.

DevilCat, my suggestion to you would be to spend 3/4 of the time you have for the serious stuff of learning chords, scales and songs and then spend the rest of the time just strumming random chords or belting out songs you know. Do not worry in this session if you missfinger the chords but give the emphasis to keeping the beat going come what may. One of the biggest problems that newer students have is to keep the rhythm of a song going when they make an error as the automatic action is to want to correct it, so spending time just keeping the tempo even and not worrying about getting the chords exactly right is not on fun it is also benficial.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Zurf, that post was great! sounds like we live in the same neighborhood. The guitar helps keep me sane. My neighbors across the canal havent complained yet; so either they are bad of hearing or just enjoying it too. I dont want to rush to the finish line just yet, Im having fun runnin with the pack.

thanks Roger.

Gonna start putting my practice plan together tonight and will stick to it this time!

No worries Roger. I have a gorgeous scalp.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I play Friday and Saturday nights at a local poker game////party....its good for the soul and fun cause the more they drink the better I sound...LOL

don't smoke weed with Willie