Topic: I met a nice man yesterday

My Epiphone is in the hands of this Grey haired man. He makes and repairs instruments. Gave me a good price on fixing the neck,replacing the bridge and an odd ball fret and adjusting the action on my Exelente. Check out his  site and hear him and a friend play. Also has a video of a restoration he did on a Harp. In the bottom picture check out the electric guitar made from a wooden toilet seat. Enjoy.
http://thumbpicker.com/dbk/music_store.htm

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: I met a nice man yesterday

Thank you for the link, Deadstring. Enjoyed that.
The toilet seat guitar would be a good match for my playing ability.
We have a music store in nearby Stapleton, Alabama called Picker's Paradise that reminds me of your Thumbpicker store.
http://pickers-paradise.com/
Jim Ball is the only man I want working on my guitars because he is the best in this area. His wife, Lyle is most gracious and forever beautiful. They had a music store in the islands that blew away in a hurricane so they moved here just in time for another major hurricane (Ivan).
They host a jam session/open mike on the first Tuesday of every month that is well attended. They have a huge selection of instruments, lessons by professionals and the best service around.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I love that upright bass in the first picture. Ask him how much he wants for it.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Deadstring, 

The  video is just Great !  That looks like a wonderful place and great people !

Later, Wayne P

selso wrote:

I love that upright bass in the first picture. Ask him how much he wants for it.

If I don't forget!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I'm really diggin' the toilet seat guitar!!!!! Talk about sittin' down & playin' a smell, I mean spell!!! sorry

Give everything but up.

Awesome video deadstring, I wish we had a store like that up here cause that's where I'd be spending a lot of time.

Very Cool big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I so loved that video.

Not to mention the vast range of  colourful instruments. Give the silver haired daddy a warm hug from Old Doll.
He is definitely one man id like to share an evening with.

Thank You" for posting Sir.

Slán.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Welcome back to the fray Lena.  I missed you. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Old Doll wrote:

I so loved that video.

Not to mention the vast range of  colourful instruments. Give the silver haired daddy a warm hug from Old Doll.
He is definitely one man id like to share an evening with.

Thank You" for posting Sir.

Slán.

Old Doll.

I am glad folks are enjoying the clip. I hope to get to know him better. I know nothing about his past but just thought I'd share the link. I'm sure there is some history in those talented hands of his.
(Doll, when addressing me, it's AL not sir.)
Good to see you posting again. I joined about the time you slacked up.
As for the hug, it depends on how good a job he does on my guitar.
(Said with a smile!)

tubatooter1940 wrote:

We have a music store in nearby Stapleton, Alabama called Picker's Paradise that reminds me of your Thumbpicker store.
Jim Ball is the only man I want working on my guitars because he is the best in this area. His wife, Lyle is most gracious and forever beautiful. They had a music store in the islands that blew away in a hurricane so they moved here just in time for another major hurricane (Ivan).
They host a jam session/open mike on the first Tuesday of every month that is well attended. They have a huge selection of instruments, lessons by professionals and the best service around.

Thanks tooter,
Music shops make me feel like a kid in a candy store.(With no money to spend.)

deadstring wrote:
tubatooter1940 wrote:

Thanks tooter,
Music shops make me feel like a kid in a candy store.(With no money to spend.)

Hey. I know that feeling!!!

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Deadstring, just where is this place of bidness located. If it's in your neck of the woods it can't be far from me. Might want to get by there and take a look-see, sometimes.

Nela

14 (edited by deadstring 2009-09-16 01:45:35)

NELA wrote:

Deadstring, just where is this place of bidness located. If it's in your neck of the woods it can't be far from me. Might want to get by there and take a look-see, sometimes.

Nela

215 N. Polk St. Jefferson, Texas. Come prepared to stay the whole day. Jefferson is like a town from the past. All kinds of neat stuff to do. The building that the guitar shop is in has 4 0r five shops in it but the sign out side says"DER BASKET KASE".
  There is also an Old General Store where you can buy all kinds of stuff from the past such as Black Jack chewing gum, Clove chewing gum, the old bird whistles that you put water in and sounds like a bird. Too much too list but it is only about an hour west of us.
    Do some searches for Jefferson, Texas and check it out. Would be a great day trip for you. AL
http://www.jeffersongeneralstore.com/

Been thru Jefferson before but never hsd time to stop. Also been thru Timpsom, Tenneha and BoBo several times. Just may have to drve on over one of these day's.

Nela

Went back and got my Epiphone this afternoon (Yes, open from 1- 5 on Sundays).

Fixed the hole where the screw as, raised the fret board (the top had a slight raising problem), changed out the eighth fret (was odd ball),replaced cracked saddle, installed bone type bridge which has a shim under it in case I want to get strings a little closer to frets, new (lighter) strings (not sure of brand) and adjusted and tuned.(Darn, that makes my guitar sound like it was a piece of junk)! Any way, all that for $60  bucks. IT PLAYS GREAT!

Selso---- The upright bass is $495 and you get a lifetime (maybe)supply of strings. Four rolls of weed eater string. That is what it is strung with and the gentleman said is tunes up great. I had to take his word for that.

SouthPaw----The original Toilet seat Guitar(made by him) was from a used toilet seat. It sold quickly and then other orders came in for more. He said about the time he was tired of making them some magazine (Texas Open Road?)came by and did a story on his business. The orders started again. told him it may start again since I posted his site on the greatest guitar spot going.

Old Doll----- The Silver haired man said to tell you thanks but hugs are only given out in person.

OOOOHH NOOOOOO!  Big Al,

I have meself worn out learning this special song for him lol
Now what do i do ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6xI5O47Q-8

replies, please to jefferson City news  [ Agony Aunt lol

Old  [rejected } Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Old Doll,
Thank you so much for  posting that song. I haven't heard that since Moby Dick was a minnow. I will have it worked up for Fathers day next year if I am able.  AL