Topic: Recording Acoustic Guitar

Heya Russell,

Since getting my mic input working I am learning more about recording acoustic guitar. I just have never thought my guitar playing and guitars sounded as good as others. One big reason I have never recorded with a program or tool like audacity.

I am learning mic placement and which guitar also makes a huge difference. I find flat picking the Martin H-D 28 is king, but if I just go with flesh on strings the Yairi is way clearer and sounds very nice, the Martin without a pick has too much bass and muddies the notes together. I have read many, many articles on recording acoustic guitars and it is not easy but I'm am starting to find some sweet spots.
I am having fun  finally getting some nice sound and I haven't done any serious multitracking yet.

Thanks,

Later, Wayne P

Re: Recording Acoustic Guitar

glad your enjoying its always satisfying to hear something you create come out well and recordings are a good way to listen to your progress and improve,I find if I use a mic on my electric acoustic it records better my choice of strings is the Martin silk n steel I have used them for over 10 years they have a unique sound and are easy to fret with or without a pick and recording is contagious lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

When I first started recording I always used my built in pick up. I bought an Alvarez 12 string and decided I'd try a promag sound hole pick up. I was unhappy with that so I miked it. Holy crap what a great sound with a condensor mic. Not sure I'll ever install a permanent pick up. Not sure if this works for "giggers" but suits me well. You're right it does take a bit to get the sweet spot but once you do the results are awesome.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi wlbaye, I'm also getting a handle on recording and mixing. A word of advice from a rookie that's learning, try and do all your recording and mixing using headphones. It really does make a world of difference in the quality and final out come. big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)