Topic: The sixth string is the thickest string ?

I've started going to Guitar class and my guitar tutor asked us to name all the strings from one to six

I though that was easy.  I confidently wrote EADGBE

but he says that the answer is EBGDAE and the 6th string is the thickest string.

what ? 

please tell me I haven't been under a misapprehension all these years.

tho I don't hold out much hope.

Re: The sixth string is the thickest string ?

Sorry John , Teacher knows best smile       He's Correct !

Later, Wayne P

I am afraid I would agree with your teacher. The first string is is the high e and the sixth the low E. With your guitar in the playing position it is probably natural to think that the closest string to your eyes, and the first one you play when you strum, is the first but it is the sixth.

There is often the same sort of misunderstanding when people say that they go down the fretboard when in fact the mean going up (the notes get higher as you go up the fretboard).

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

4 (edited by bensonp 2009-09-17 00:20:45)

Yeah, just lay the guitar flat on your lap and count from top to bottom.  That's one smart teacher.  It's all relative.
That is if you are right handed, of course.  The guitar is a strange instrument when it comes to string layout and chord diagrams.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

hi john dont be down hearted! when i started i learned to play a scale ...BACKWARDS FIRST!!
why? because like you i took the 6th string as the 1st DOH!!  that put me right off scales lol

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

6 (edited by dino48 2009-09-17 03:55:34)

hellojohn yep it sure is,well now you know it backwards and forwards.          dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The key was 1-6.  You named the strings correctly.  Your teacher used that method to drive home the point of which string is "1" and which string is "6".  Seems like he/she did a good job.  You'll never forget it now, which was the point.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Now you can play it both ways.

I don't refer to strings by number.  I call them out by note.

"Fret the D string on the 3rd fret...."

I think it's a better way to learn music.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I agree   

I always call them by note as well. I almost always name the note played also. So I say play an F by fretting the D string on the third fret. Helps keep it all fresh in my memory and I need all the help I can get smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Likewise Jerome, and I think most people who have been playing a while will do the same, however it is still important to know what numbers are given to each string. In fact some the individual strings sold in the shop I help out in are labelled as No.1 - 0.10" etc so the string number and not not value must be known in this instance.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"