Re: How long have you been playing? Male or Female & Country U R from..lol

Hi everyone. I am from Canada and have been playing for 9 months. Smartest thing i ever did. LOL. I just bought myself a Indiana Mossy Oak Breakup guitar and it sounds awesome!!

jolt wrote:

Hi everyone. I am from Canada and have been playing for 9 months. Smartest thing i ever did. LOL. I just bought myself a Indiana Mossy Oak Breakup guitar and it sounds awesome!!

I can imagine Canadian hunters stalking a deer thinking, "I hear a guitar being played, but I don't see one anywhere."   Just don't tip a few too many glasses at the campground and forget where you set your guitar on your way to the tent or you'll have a dickens of a time finding the thing.  "Now, I know I set my guitar down somewhere over by this tree..." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

53 (edited by kathy94 2009-09-17 22:50:59)

I a female from the awesome state of TEXAS tongue
Played for around two years but lead different youth and church worship.
Keep up the good work with your guitar skills big_smile
I have a Seagull S-6 slim.

Hello all,  I turned 60 a couple weeks back. Started on guitar back in secondry school about 1964 with a few mates and eventually started a band, I played bass back then. I have had many interuptions to playing over the years but hard at it again, for about 3 years this time around. A record of sorts for me. I am mainly self taught but have had a lot of help from Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and Austin Nicholls. Some of you may have heard of them. Great singing coaches as well. I am mostly into country and rockabilly these days, not too hard on the old joints. Live in Queensland, Australia.  Chordie is sensational.   Cheers Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Female, I'm 55 and been playing since I first picked up a Kay arch-top with f-holes when I was 10. Originally from Texas, lived all over the USA and other countries, living in a remote rural location in Northern California.

The first song I learned was House of the Rising Sun (a la Eric Burdon and the Animals)... most recent songs are Troubled Mind (Catie Curtis) and Montgomery Creek Blues (Rita Hosking). I play a Martin D-1. I mostly play because I like to sing... and it fills in the between spots.

Casey

eftpos wrote:

44 years old here. New Zealand. Been playing for about 10 years. Just started banjo about 12 months ago and am learning keyboard. Finally took the leap to learn to read music. I wish I had done it years ago. I learnt to play guitar from DVDs. A guy called Justin Moss who runs fingers of fire guitar school in Hamilton New Zealand puts out double DVD sets with about 6 hours of tutition for about $30 a set. .  I play most nights for 1 - 2 hours absolutely addicted.  Who needs a TV. lol

I love that area! I spent some time in Raglan in 2002 and really wanted to move to NZ permanently, but you know how hard THAT is.... I have to laugh at how easy it is to get into the USA... Americans don't even realize that other countries are much more strict about language, health and financial security for those wanting to immigrate.

I have a fiddle I'm trying to teach myself to play, but tuning it is a bear!

Casey

derf73 wrote:

I am teaching myself so I have a long road ahead of me. Any suggestion on where to start would be nice.

Netflix has a LARGE collection of guitar instruction DVDs, from Beatles to Bluegrass; fingerpicking to lead, even how to mic a live band. Something for everyone.

Casey

Hello from Idaho, U.S.A! I'm about to turn 48. Started playing when I was seven. By the time I was 11 I was playing in my step dads country band...what great memories! I started a band 25 years ago with female vocals and we still play 5 or 6 times a year....oh and did I say thats how I met my wife? She is the lead vocalist in the band. lol...Never tried to be anyone famous just play because it makes me feel good to see people enjoy what we provide.....I still love to play!

Welcome Rockcruiser.  It sounds like you have been on a roll for a long time.  Glad to have you here.  Stick around, I'm sure even you can learn something here.  A great bunch of people here.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

thanks bensonp, There are a great bunch of people here and yes I learn something new everytime I come here! This is a great site, I find it makes me play more and I need that sometimes.....A great place to hang out...thanks!.......Rod

61 (edited by mr_mer 2009-09-29 23:05:00)

This sounds like an "introduce yourself" thread, so here I go...

I have been playing since April 2008, but I have taken music theory when I was a wee lad of 12. Now, 30 years later I decided to get a hobby and guitar playing seemed safe enough. Mostly teaching myself, can;t say I am an expert, but I can follow a tune and once I song sticks in my head, I play it until I know it.

So I am here in the troubled US of A, in the New England area to be exact, although I was born and raised in warmer climate.

My gear, which is all acoustic (so far) consist of:

1. My training guitar, a Jasmine by Takamine. Cheap but well build... and pretty. Somewhat hi pitched, but I use it mostly to "solo" (yeah right)
2. My campsite guitar, Ibanez V200. Soft sounding, nice for strumming along
3. The 12. Ovation Celebrity CC-65.

So that is it. Glad to be here.

American Fender Stratocaster Highway 1 SSS
Squirer Standard Stratocaster customized (Lace pickups, HSS, custom paint job)
Ovation C-065
Ibanez SGT-120

Hi everyone, my name is Uli and I am from Fish Hoek, Cape Town  South Africa, I am 35 but only started playing about 3 years ago, I take lessons and recently bought myself a Washburn D46SCE with B-Band Pick-Up and built in tuner I also have a Yamaha Classic Guitar that I started on....my fingers are getting nice and hard now and I have a few songs I can play really well now......bought some harmonicas as well and wanna start playing them as well....Biggest regret is that I never took guitar lessons at school...I just love it and so glad I finally took it up...

Been using chordie for some time now but was never registered.....but now I am and looking forward to learning from everyone!

Hi Uli and welcome to Chordie,

I am pleased you have come out of the woodwork and decided to join us as there is a great bunch of guys and gals here who are always willing to help.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi, I'm 52, from Gloucester, England... been playing Bass last three years and guitar the last 6 months...

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

Welcome Uli and manicbassman and MrMer and rockcruiser.  Please don't let these be your only posts.  Everyone has something to share and add.  There are many here with similar stories to your own.  I'd venture to guess that MOST Chordie users are relatively new to guitar and well past adolescence.  I won't say middle aged, because... dang. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi,

I'm 19 lol [ ask wilbaye and Roger ] I started seriously about 5 years ago to get my head into a nicer place. it worked.
I always had guitars around me but woulldn't cut my talons to play properly. I regret it bigtime.

Love my guitars and playing simple songs. Preferably picking.

I live in Ireland, on the beautiful "Emerald Isle.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Old Doll wrote:

Hi,

I'm 19 lol [ ask wilbaye and Roger ] I started seriously about 5 years ago to get my head into a nicer place. it worked.
I always had guitars around me but woulldn't cut my talons to play properly. I regret it bigtime.

Love my guitars and playing simple songs. Preferably picking.

I live in Ireland, on the beautiful "Emerald Isle.

What do ya want in yer tea ?

segosha..

one caper after another

What do ya want in yer tea ?

segosha.
lol one half spoon of sugar a little milk please. As its morning i'll also have some of your bacon with toast. Dont crush the toast now !

I hope you and Gem are in fine fettle.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi all
have owned a guitar on and off for nearly 30 years never really got further than C D G. Then two years ago,out of the blue ,my wife bought me a new Yamaha FG700 and I havent put it down.
Descovered Chordie a while back and check out the forum durring the day at work. It is a really cool site and everybody seems like a big family. So have decided to post my first message so excuse any mess ups.
so in a nut shell I am 47 years old in December. live in a little village between Coventry and Rugby in England. I play at least an hour every day, find it hard to sleep if I havn't picked up the guitar that day and I am at the stage of mastering barr chords, loving every minute of it!!!!

Welcome to the forum WolfMan. Your story is similar to many here, so I'm sure you'll hit right in.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks topdown,

yep this place seems to have a nice vibe about it, seems loads of people coming and going in the same direction, all with a love of making music wether for an audience or just personal pleasure.

Welcome Wolfman.  Glad to have you.  As you already know, this site will provide you with hours of enjoyment and lots of good tricks and info.  Thanks for joining us.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Don here I'm from Iowa, 51 and just picked up the guitar (acoustic) this year. Thought I'd give it try, always loved the sound of the acoustic guitar. Time for this old dog to learn some new tricks, ha ha ha

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

74 (edited by wlbaye 2009-10-06 13:53:28)

Welcome Don,

There are a lot of good folks here willing to help , with anything to do with music. All skill levels here to. Don't be afraid to ask questions smile

Later, Wayne P

Glad to hear it Don.  It's really never too late.  You just have to stick with it and practice alot and visiting here often will keep your interest going.  Good luck