Topic: Compliments from my one of my favorite guys

I was just astonished over this weekend by one of my favorite guys. 

My son answered the phone when my Dad called.  Dad asked my son what he was doing, the answer "playing my guitar." 
The next question I am assuming was, "are you getting any better?" because the answer I heard was, "NO, but my mom is!" 

WOW!  My son is a typical 13 year old, getting a compliment like that, although not directed TO me but still about me was awesome!  Not sure how you guys related to your mother at that age, but I am "not cool" and "know nothing" as most parents of teenagers!  He has actually asked me for help a few times, and I'm just thrilled that my playing is inspiring him to pick his guitar up occasionally.  I only wish he'd TRY to follow along with me instead of playing something else!  ha ha!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Compliments from my one of my favorite guys

Ya gotta like it. big_smile
Before you know it you'll be asking him for help and he'll be thinking the same thing you are thinking...Wow!!! She asked me for help.
Go full circle with this cause music does a body and mind good.

Great Story big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

That's really nice. I have an 11 year old son, & I know how difficult it is to get a compliment. He did start learning guitar a few years ago, but we had to stop the lessons because he wouldn't do his practice. I keep offering to teach him myself, but he's not interested now - I wonder if hearing me play actually puts him off! Not that I'm very good, but he tends not to even try to do things that he might fail at & what I do probably sounds very difficult! If that makes any sense!
I do tend to pick up my guitar when he has friends around, though, and have heard them say nice things to him about my playing!
Oh, if I haven't said so before, welcome to Chordie!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Thanks for the welcome Normtheguitar!  Ahh... my Dad always played, and I picked the guitar up MANY times over the years.  Honestly, it wasn't until just a few weeks ago (20 some years later) that I finally decided to learn!  I do wish I'd have had a desire earlier in life... but it happened when it did.  Due to my LOVE of music, I'm sure my Dad wished I'd have had a desire to learn many moons ago. My son also doesn't try at things he might fail at.  He tends to enjoy picking out notes.  I personally try NOT to pick out notes when I'm around him.  I don't want to discourage him from what he IS enjoying by going beyond him there.  I get what you're saying.  It's the age of "parent's know nothing" so if they can't possibly compete with us to prove that we know nothing, they just don't bother.  So sad, but there's lots of time and life to learn the guitar once they outgrow that!  He'll be coming to you sooner or later!

I'd say that my son and I have an "even playing field" because I just started and he's basically just started... but I have that advantage of years and understanding harmony and rhythm, and listening to a LOT of backyard playing.  Plus, I really do have the desire and he doesn't quite have it yet.  Sadly, he won't understand that until he's older.

I'm trying very hard to "practice" with him... and do this like a couple friends might.  Admittedly it's difficult.  He likes to pick something different than what I want to strum.  He has no rhythm, and he doesn't want to learn the "old" songs that I do.  But, it's coming along alright!  We took a hunter safety course together over the summer.  That was interesting.  He truly enjoyed it because he went in knowing more than me... but he cheated off me a little on the written test.  LOL!  Trying things that are new to the both of us really helps our relationship.  It proves to him, that he's right, mom doesn't know EVERYTHING... but she sure can learn just like HE CAN!

That age is really tough.  Enjoy his friends!!  Sometimes they help your kid realize how important YOU are to him!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

5 (edited by Zurf 2009-09-21 12:22:39)

That's great!

At that age, and at most ages, I was fortunate to have a good relationship with my mom. I wasn't a popular kid.  In fact, rather the opposite.  But no matter how bad teasing got, I always knew one thing absolutely, and that was that my Mom loved me and she was always on my side.  Always.  That meant a lot. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great story, MKM!

mekidsmom wrote:

Plus, I really do have the desire and he doesn't quite have it yet.

I can relate to that comment... my daughter is 7, and while she does plunk around occasionally (she can finger two chords, but it takes her a minute to get her fingers in place), she has yet to really get the bug. Patience...

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

Well said Mom,

Invite all your kids friends around. Then you always know who there hanging with. They will enjoy been around adults who want them there.  Speak openly and clearly to them. Kids aint stupid,
there just small adults.
Example is the best form of sermon, so good on you Girl.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !