Topic: I am now a professional

No.  No one has agreed to pay me for my musical abilities.  And I have not performed to great accolades in front of a crowd.  Nor are bands seeking me out for my rhythm guitar prowess.  These are not the things that make a person "professional."  Oh, sure, in the strictest sense of the word, yes they are.  But what has made me a professional is that I have finally gotten around to putting a strap on my steel string acoustic so I can now play standing up.  THAT is what it takes to be a professional.  To paraphrase Billy Crystal in his Lorenzo Lamas character, "It is better to look good than to play good darling." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: I am now a professional

Did you install the strap button yourself? If so, you are now also a Luthier!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Did you install the strap button yourself? If so, you are now also a Luthier!

No, but I had to cut a piece of rawhide strip (aka "piggin' string") to tie around the neck because my acoustic doesn't have a top button.  That might make me a cowboy.  I've got the hat and everything.  Well, not the horse.  Or a range or anything.  Not an open range anyway.  There's a range in the kitchen though. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Now if you want to be a CLASSY professional you need a stool to sit on. The pros are so fickle.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I am quite familiar with the application of barstools. 

- Zurf

Did you have a hard time playing standing up? I had played so long sittng it was a hard transition for me. I am still a better sitting guitarist than standing guitarist. Not sure that'll ever change.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Not really.  I have played bass standing up since my teen years (which were a long while ago).  I actually have a hard time playing bass while sitting down.  So, standing and playing SOMETHING is pretty natural to me.  It will take a little getting used to with guitar, but probably not much. 

- Zurf

Does that mean you are now  "homus erectus" or something like it. I,m a sitterbentoverus.

You just named Zurfs band henryB

Neanderthals !

Big Grins.

Well done Zurf. Homus erectus photos on Chordie now. lol

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Standing up! I am shocked. Never do anything standing up that you can't do sitting down. Also, never do anything sitting down that you can't do lying down.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Surely Zurf you will HAVE to get a bar stool.  Where in the world will you set your beer while standing?  At least sitting on the stool you'll be sure to have a table near by.  Although... if you set your beer on the bar stool then you might be alright standing.  Yes, either way... you need a stool now!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

12 (edited by dfoskey 2009-09-22 11:21:28)

Good for you Zurf. I have a hard time playing one of my acoustics with a strap because it doesn't have a top strap button. I guess as long as the strap isn't pulled across my fretting arm i do okay playing standing up and even walking around. My other guitars i don't have any problems because they have two strap buttons. Now all i need is a rolling music stand to hold my sheetmusic so i can remember what to play and when. lol

The Neanderthals using stools as beer rests and all playing while standing in a circle with sheet music taped to one another's backs to make sure we're all playing the same song.  Now see, that's why I come to Chordie.  You don't come up with ideas like that all on your own. 

My acoustic doesn't have a top button either, so I just tied a rawhide shoelace under the strings up between the nut and the tuning pegs.  It works fine.

Zurf wrote:

No.  No one has agreed to pay me for my musical abilities.  And I have not performed to great accolades in front of a crowd.  Nor are bands seeking me out for my rhythm guitar prowess.  These are not the things that make a person "professional."  Oh, sure, in the strictest sense of the word, yes they are.  But what has made me a professional is that I have finally gotten around to putting a strap on my steel string acoustic so I can now play standing up.  THAT is what it takes to be a professional.  To paraphrase Billy Crystal in his Lorenzo Lamas character, "It is better to look good than to play good darling." 

- Zurf

Sometimes it's the little things in life.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

It's easier to sing standing up.....

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

selso wrote:

Sometimes it's the little things in life.

It's always the little things in life, because the big things are outside of our control.  So are the little things, but there is the illusion of mattering when it comes to them. 

- Zurf

To make the transition easier - use your guitar strap when you're sitting. That will keep it in the same position when you leap onto your feet for the first time.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Rofl, congrats man!
You're on your way now...hehe.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Zurf.... don't ever stop posting.....you make me laugh right out loud, and I really am not supposed to be viewing Chordie while at work smile  Let alone hahaing it up...I can't play standing up either, but I bought a new strap and will try it again sometime....my couch is a way to comfortable to afford the encouragement I need...haha!

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

I've heard so many players say the transition was hard. I used to play in the kitchen standing up while dinner was cooking. Its a mental block like bar chords. Practice practice practice.

you know what you can do to get your name out maybe you can get togethether with some friends and start a band or you can go to small diners and coffee shops and play for free until you get to be known very well and then you can start asking for money and get to be a famous musician.

Or I could just keep playing for myself in the basement or for inebriated friends at campfires. 

- Zurf

So, you've been strapless all this time?  Boy were you missing out. LOL

Picking away at life, one tune at a time.