Topic: one album that changed how you feel about music

im curious about albums that completely blew your mind

for me it was green day-american idiot because when i first heard it i was you typical 9 year old girl, listening to s club 7 and mcfly

it opened my eyes to rock and punk, now i listen to the ramones and the sex pistols and old school punk

megs

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar

Re: one album that changed how you feel about music

Sgt Pepper for me.  It is the one and only album that has always stuck in my mind.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I love the different perspectives in the last two posts. Lovely.

Something New Under The Son by Larry Norman has lived with me for a LONG time. It was the 1st album I ever heard that told a story, from start to finish, from the perspective of a lead character.

Green Day's Dookie also made an impact on me. They were the 1st band I'd heard for a long time that had something to say. Agree or disagree, they said it, when most bands of the time had clammed up.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

well after listening topunk ( slf, pistols, exploited, alarm,skids, undertones ) in the eighties, then a lot of heavy rock ( acdc, iron maiden, led zep, sabbath) I got to hear Pink Floyd's The wall, final cut, medal, piper at the gates of dawn in about 1984. All of these made a really big impact on me, especially "piper at the gates of dawn". It made me think there was more to music than just drums, guitar, bass and vocals and a bit of synth, it made me realise the diversity in music that one band could make and there was no rules to music,
then I got heavily introduced to Syd barrett's solo albums, all of his songs inspired my songwriting when i started writing my own stuff.

So out of all these if I had to say ONE album it would be

Syd Barrett;'s

" the madcap laughs"

if you ever hear it you will agree the singing is downright awful ( but I love it) and the music is a bit....well unprepared but the structure of all the songs are masterpieces.
For hearing 3 syd barrett songs pretty much the way he played and sang them I do three songs on one video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_X5tQcML_A

what a great reason to plug myself ,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Cool, I thoroughly enjoyed that, good to find you on youtube and to hear some good Scottish songs too! smile

I'd have to agree with you Ken

Syd Barrett-The Madcap Laughs 

I have never loved music as much as I do the music on this record. I can listen to it constantly and never get sick of it.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

Townes Van Zandt's In The Beginning. Made me stop playing punk rock for awhile.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Neil Youngs' Harvest Moon made me realize that the acoustic guitar has a voice of its' own. Don't get me wrong, I still love crankin' up the dbs' on the ole Strat and LesPaul but many a song starts usually with an ole acoustic guitar and this fantastic album proves it................

Give everything but up.

thats a hard one for me too decide on ,I think it would have too be Abby Road by the beatles,so much there.     dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

For me it was the Bluesbreakers album by John Mayall with Eric Clapton circa' '66 or '67. That  album totally rearranged everything, musically speaking, for me, for ever.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

11 (edited by RestlessSpirit 2009-09-11 21:04:02)

For me, as I suspect for many, there is no single album but an accumulation of influences.

Two that in particular caught my attention are Gandharva by Beaver and Krause, and Antonio Forcione Live!.

The former offered so many varied acoustic delights, the latter opened my mind and ears to the versatility of a guitar and contributed to my eventually picking mine up again.

If I had to choose just one though, it would be Gandharva mainly because it was such an early experience.

thanks
i have found this really interesting
i have heard of very few of these artists but it is interesting all the same

My life revolves around music. It is truly the center of my universe.  Bob Marley and the Wailers are by far the most influential band in my life. I was born a little late to watch their albums come out so the first one I heard was their greatest hits aka Legend. Not their best album by any means but definitely the one that impacted me more then any other.

Legend has simple music made to sound like lush orchestration by adding notes in the off beat parts. The classic reggae guitar playing simple chords but playing them on the  the "ands" (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and), the organ filling on the rock steady rhythm behind (rock steady is a reggae style. Google it), The solid, steady drum and bass to root the music, the entire band using rests to make room for a shared melody and then of course there is Bob.

In Bob Marley's own words he wrote songs "so even a baby could understand". They were meaningful, powerful, insightful and above all heartfelt. Bob's words were a beginning of a realization for me. I now know the most important part of music is not what you play or sing but your intent behind your actions. The most important part of music is why you play.

Luke Bass

I never need more then 4 strings.

Dark Side of the Moon; Sgt Pepper both for different reasons

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

" People Get Ready "  by Sonny Terry and Brownie Maghee sent me on a mission to collect all the blues records i could find, and havent stopped yet.

Badeye

one caper after another

lukebass wrote:

My life revolves around music. It is truly the center of my universe.  Bob Marley and the Wailers are by far the most influential band in my life. I was born a little late to watch their albums come out so the first one I heard was their greatest hits aka Legend. Not their best album by any means but definitely the one that impacted me more then any other.

Legend has simple music made to sound like lush orchestration by adding notes in the off beat parts. The classic reggae guitar playing simple chords but playing them on the  the "ands" (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and), the organ filling on the rock steady rhythm behind (rock steady is a reggae style. Google it), The solid, steady drum and bass to root the music, the entire band using rests to make room for a shared melody and then of course there is Bob.

In Bob Marley's own words he wrote songs "so even a baby could understand". They were meaningful, powerful, insightful and above all heartfelt. Bob's words were a beginning of a realization for me. I now know the most important part of music is not what you play or sing but your intent behind your actions. The most important part of music is why you play.

Luke Bass

you really are passionate about music, aren't you

I have 3:

Hard Days Night - The Beatles, this sparked an interest and love of the Beatles which opened my mind to so many other genres.

Ride The Lightening - Metallica, it blew my mind as a teenager and instilled an interest in metal which I have to this day!

Eric Clapton's MTV Unplugged spaked an interest in acoustic guitar and I can remember my jaw dropping when I heard that version of Layla!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Clapton's origional version of Lala was screechy and nerve wracking but I used to play it on a juke box in this Mobile, Alabama bar to extend our band's breaks because it was so long.
The unplugged version was so cool I learned it immediately and still play it these days.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Third Day's self titled album was the album that helped me realize that all christian music doesn't have to sound like grandmas hymns. It has really opened me up to more Christian bands of different genres and has a big part in my playing style now as a Christian guitarist.