Topic: Tried a New Tactic

Howdy,

I guess I am like most acoustic players and always looking for the way to capture a nice acoustic sound so I spent some time trying to get the inputs right and I am pretty happy with the sound of the guitar.

I used a Epiphone DR 500MNS guitar with a B-Band A-A2 pickup into a Fender Ultralight Acoustasonic and a Sennheiser 845 mic for vocals into the Fender amp. Then I miked the amp with a Shure KSM condensor about 2 ft away from the amp. I had the Shure mic plugged into a Peavey mixer that has phantom power for the condensor mic. I went out the back of the peavey mixer rca plugs into my computer to Audacity.
I didn't add any effects just had a little reverb on the amp. Anyway if you would like to give it a listen.

Thanks to Russ for all his help along the way,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtKK5xs_hTw

Later, Wayne P

Re: Tried a New Tactic

It paid off Wilbaye.

Beautiful rendition of a great song. That song i always ask my brother to play
when we have a get together. Its a great story telling song, A real classic.

Well done sir,

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thank You, Helena,

What do think of the 4/4 time, it was writtern in 3/4 time. I love to play it in 4/4 I think it makes the guitar sound so nice. It does slow it down and makes it drag but I play it like this and usually take some heat from some of the diehards that like things done as they were written.

Thanks Again,
Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Well played and sung Wayne! Great job. I liked it in 4/4 time.. As you said, a little slower but works really well. The sound was superb.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Yes i agree sir,

It also suits my own style of playing guitar. I would try play it now after hearing your recording.

Thanks again.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks,

Pix, I usually do barre chords on the F chord and G chord on part of the song but I ended up doing all "Cowboy Chords" I have EXP's on and they were squeekin and squakin on the barre's terrible, if sliding at all.

"Cowboy Chords"    a priceless quote smile

Later, Wayne P

Just goes to show you, you can make good music without barre chords.  Sounds great to me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Heya Benson,

I was just givin Pix a hard time, about " Cowboy Chords"  a quote from another thread.

I haven't figured out what they put all them frets on my guitars for I only need three, when I heard you folks talking of bar chords I thought they were Cowboy Chords you play in a bar smile

Later, Wayne P

Wayne nice work on this and the light coming thru the window blinds adds a nice touch (along with the hat) good job smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

wlbaye wrote:

Heya Benson,

I was just givin Pix a hard time, about " Cowboy Chords"  a quote from another thread.

I haven't figured out what they put all them frets on my guitars for I only need three, when I heard you folks talking of bar chords I thought they were Cowboy Chords you play in a bar smile

I'm a little slow sometimes.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

wlbaye wrote:

Thanks,

Pix, I usually do barre chords on the F chord and G chord on part of the song but I ended up doing all "Cowboy Chords" I have EXP's on and they were squeekin and squakin on the barre's terrible, if sliding at all.

"Cowboy Chords"    a priceless quote smile

Ah, The phrase "Cowboy Chords" came from my first teacher smile He wouldn't even teach me any open chords... He insisted that barre was the only way to play (not that I agree). His point was why learn a fingering that was only useful at one spot on the neck when you have a whole fretboard and range of tones to choose from to express what you wish with your music. He was a classically trained guitarist and was kinda hung up on himself and I was a beginner (still am) so I didn't argue much. I kinda picked up the phrase from him though...
  I'm not at all against open chords personally. You can't get the same sustain from barre chords that you do from open chords, allowing them to ring through changes.... I love all chords, Open and Barre smile They all have their places. I really didn't care for his attitude but I'm glad I spent the money for the lessons and got the barre chords and basic theory down early on though... I hope I haven't ever came across as having that same attitude... I really don't smile It's easy to be misread on forums when people can't see the smile you have when typing wink -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Real nice work on this Wayne big_smile

I play this in 4/4 time also but not half as purdy as you.

It was a real treat to listen to. I'll be back for more for more listens for sure. big_smile

Kudos

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Great recording Wayne. Jerry Jeff is one of my favorites.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Pix I love it !  I did not take it in the wrong way at all. It just tickled the heck out of me smile Seriously I usually barre use barres on this song when it goes from F  G  and back to F but the strings are way noisy when recording.

I play with an excellent guitar player that thought I should keep my moving up and down the neck when singing to a minimum and I followed his advice and I'm more comfortable I guess.

Kenny I'll bet your's is very good !  Thanks smile

Russell, Thanks for all your help and support smile

Tops , Thanks for all your support smile

Later, Wayne P

Sounded good ....

Top notch. Great playing even better vocal!!!! Thanks for sharing

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks Wayne ,
   That was wonderfull ... I've never heard the song played in 4/4 or fingerpicked ... I'm a flatpicker from way back , so I've always done it the other way ... It's always been a favorite of mine ... Vocals were very good also ... I like the way you take a song and make it your own ... I also have always tried to do that ... Thanks again ...
                           Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

It was beautiful.  Love your voice.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Very nice!
I don't have a My Space or U -tube account but I was wondering
Is it OK to do covers of popular or current songs on these sites without getting into trouble? I had the impression it was Taboo but I know a lot of them are posted on there.
  I had a couple of things posted on another site but after reading some negative info I got scared  and deleted them.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I believe it is okay to play a cover on U-Tube if you list up front that this is a cover of someone else's tune.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

There are a few Bands and Artists and Record Labels that have had some videos removed. Most artists are flattered that folks share their music and actually promote it. I have asked a couple songwriters permission and they said go ahead. It is different when you are making recordings for profit and then you need to pay a fee and so much per song and how many copies you are making.
Bars and others that have live music also pay a license fee so performers can play covers without copywrite issues.

Later, Wayne P