Topic: How many pet lovers...

Just curious how many of us keep pets smile

We have 2 cocker spaniels but may be expecting another litter late November... Hence the reason for the paw port installed in my S&P.

Here's Oscar
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2422/3995455529_63061eb8c2.jpg

And here we have Josey
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2530/3995449203_ca67a591a0.jpg

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: How many pet lovers...

Cool lookin' little dawgies there Guitarpix.

We have a 9 year old female golden retriever named " Taylor". Got her when she was 8 weeks old. She's the best pet we've ever had. The only other pet we have is female mule. We call her "ex-wife"......... ( just teasin')

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Cool lookin' little dawgies there Guitarpix.

We have a 9 year old female golden retriever named " Taylor". Got her when she was 8 weeks old. She's the best pet we've ever had. The only other pet we have is female mule. We call her "ex-wife"......... ( just teasin')

Cool!  All the retrievers I've seen have been great dogs. Very smart and loving animals smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

9 year old Yellow Lab named Daisy. Also, the best pet we've ever owned. I have 2 sons so she's my only daughter and my number 1 lady (my wife loves that title!).

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Always had a dog and cat, we rescued a year old boxer that was left in a back yard on a chain
alone most of the time. she was real skinny. three years later she is the queen of the house and lovin it. eve [the dog] and moe sislack[the cat] are good buddies. great compainians{checkspelling] and never in a bad mood.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

We have 8 dogs. Seven of them are wolf/malamute cross breeds and one alsatian/border collie named Jack who is my shadow, also the only one who appreciates my guitar playing. He lies at my feet thru' thick and thin. We live on a farm with a big dam so the term ''let's go surfing'' means let's hit the water. Keeps them cool and healthy.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

I have a beagle girl.  We adopted her from the Air Force.  Initially her name was Corporal Ivy, but a Marine friend of mine seemed to think that a beagle would be likely to make Lieutenant in the Air Force.  So we gave her a promotion.  She just goes by Ivy, though.  She's 14 years old, but I doubt she'll make 15.  It's not quite time for her yet, but a dog who used to be so strong and have such well developed muscles that we nicknamed her Schwarzenpuppy fell from fatigue three times on our walk last night.  She used to be able to jump so far and so high that we swore she could fly, and now she can't shuffle around the corner without taking a break.  It's sad watching this old friend deteriorate.  Her kidneys are failing and there's nothing we can do about it.  They'll be the end of her if the pain doesn't get so bad that I don't take one last act of mercy on her behalf first.  But she still has an appetite and she still has a good attitude and a sweet demeanor, so it's not time yet.  We'll know when it is.  There mere thought of it breaks my heart.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

We have a little terrier mix we cal Sofie.  She just showed up in our back yard one day about 4 years ago, scared to death, tried to get out of the fence.  She just cowered there and peed when we pick her up.  We checked with the pound and put an ad in the paper, but no one came forward, so we kept her.  The best mannered dog we ever had.  Never strays or runs after other dogs walking by.  She gets out of my chair as soon as I enter the room.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Yes we have puppies too. They are way spoiled too smile

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/wlbaye/Dogs025.jpg

Lucas & Lizzie

Pups  Rosie, Lucy and Joey

Later, Wayne P

I have always had dogs and cats.  Presently have a 9yr old lab mutt and a grey cat.  My dog is getting on and is starting to show signs of her age.  She brings me lots of happiness, I enjoy my bi-dayly walks with her on the mountain near my house.

The greatest changes are inspired by small groups of dedicated people.  Guitar Players can Change the World.
Article 31: Everyone has the right to clean and accessible water!
Sign the petition here [url]http://www.article31.org[/url]

I love animals. [ I married one, "A hound Dog lol]

I have Ben, cross lab retriever. He is the most clever dog i ever had.
Lady, { That's a laugh ] she is a Jack Russell { thinks she is a rottweiler } scares everyone who comes about the house. Nothing ladylike about her.

My dogs were all rescues, for me the best type.

My sons new Golden retriever Cody, He is absolutely gorgeous. He should be he cost a 1000 dollars plus.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lena.odonov … directlink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-pmbBABO-A

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

wlbaye - I expected to see the dogs playing banjo or some such after seeing your family shots in the Recording thread.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Here's Rosie. A stray that found us I guess 5 or 6 years ago now. The friendliest dog I have ever known. Any stranger is her new best friend. She was wandering the neighborhood one weekend while the wife and I were out of town and the neighbor put some food out for her. She had pink splotches all over her initially, like someone had attempted to color her coat, or maybe even been shot by a paintball gun. The wife adopted her immediately, we put signs out, called the local vets, etc - no one claimed her she's been here ever since.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2552/3999404574_9d9a15c922.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

1 x German Shepard

2 x Cats

12 x goldfish

3 x Chickens

owww and 2 kids lol

My ambition far exceeds my ability

15 (edited by mekidsmom 2009-10-12 11:57:43)

We rescued Cali from the shelter on Valentine's Day after my pooch Scooter went missing. 
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs024.snc1/2351_1113873325667_1191936679_30356542_5432_n.jpg

When I married my husband, he came with Dozer... getting on in age now, he's about to turn 13.  He is a "pit bull" ... which would not have been my choice in a pet, however he's always been very gentle with the kids and really a pleasure to have around.  It is all in how they are raised.  He's a good ole boy!
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2335/249/74/1191936679/n1191936679_30352480_4659.jpg

Wayne... A Mini Schnauzer is my choice for our next pup when Dozer finally makes his way on.  I had a black one as a child, and raised properly they sure can be the best dog!  I've also considered labs... but...  I think we need a smaller dog around here.

We also have a 30 gallon tank full of guppies that just continue to multiply!  LOL!

Patrick - we had some Chickens for a while too... nothing like "homemade" eggs!! smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

We have a wire hair dashhound / mini schnauzer mix named Dash  that just 7 months old and three fantail gold fish.

Great thread Pix ,
   We've always had shepards and each one had to be put down for illness at about ten yrs old ...
    When my wife and I decided to get another , she came home one day with an eight week old cocker spaniel cross that had been dumped off out in the country ... Needless to say , he's been with us ever since , and at first , when ever we went somewhere and stopped at a roadside rest , he would start shaking and not want to get out of the car , the poor thing ... We always wondered why he never chewed anything or barked , untill we put the electric blankets back on our bed that first fall that he was with us and they did'nt work ... When I looked at the cords , the one from the wall was chewed almost all the way through , that explained that , L O L ... His name's Charley and he'll be fifteen next June ... When he was a puppy , my wife would vacuum him when she had the thing out for cleaning , and to this day if he sees any vacuum cleaner , he's right there wanting to be vacuumed ... We also have a toy poodle ( Edie ) the same age and she runs around and jumps like a puppy ... We keep wondering when she's gonna start slowing down ... They've both been wonderfull pets , but we know Charley is'nt gonna go much longer ... He's got cataracts and has all but lost his hearing , but as long as he's still happy , he'll be with us ...I'll never forget when I first started with the fiddle about twelve yrs ago , when I'd get it out in the family room downstairs , Charley and Edie would discreetly sneak upstairs and I never blamed them for that ... It did wonders for my confidence when it got to the point where they would stay where they were and seem to actually listen ,
L O L ..........
                           Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Interesting how this just came up on here and now I'm faced with an issue.  My son "had" a white shepherd at his father's house.  The poor pooch is only 6 months old... but has not been socialized at all.  He begged me to bring her home cuz she is just tied outside or kept in a room blocked off from everything else at Dad's house.  So here I am, with this "big" baby that is scared to death of everything and everyone (except my son).  She actually is scared to death of my 2 year old.  I'm hoping she warms up soon... but I'm starting to think maybe a nice house in the country with other dogs to play with and no children would be the best place for her.  I just brought her home last night... so I haven't given her much time... but I'm a bit concerned that she might fear bite someone, and I sure don't want that to be a little person!  Any suggestions, comments, thoughts?

19 (edited by ozmoid 2009-10-13 12:10:16)

We have a dog, Max, just over two years old near as we can figure. Two cats (one indoor, one out) and 6 hermit crabs. All "rescue pets". I've had dogs and cats my entire life, can't imagine NOT having a furry friend of some kind around. smile

Mekidsmom; time, love and patience for the dog. Hopefully the pup will begin to de-stress in the new atmosphere, but in the meantime make sure she is monitored closely when the kids are around her. Start click-training, it can really give you control and let you shape her behavior if you stick with it. Good Luck! Always nice to hear about a pet moving from a bad to a good environment.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

20 (edited by mekidsmom 2009-10-13 14:42:38)

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs270.snc1/9721_1269005883884_1191936679_30822982_8222979_n.jpg
Here she is... beautiful girl!  OMG... we had a HUGE bonding moment today... I think she may possibly be starting to trust me a little bit!  YAY!  With that hint of trust, she has given me the desire to keep going with her.  My son will be so thrilled when he gets home.  So far, I'm only letting her eat if she takes it from me (or the kids - no food set in a bowl) to help build up that trust and association with the people here being something good.  She tried really hard to please me and sit, so I think she knows that one a little.  Lay down was trickier for her... but she did well trying!

Ozmoid... I've read about clicker training being really great for submissive dogs so I'm looking up info about it now to see what I can do for her!  A trip to the doggie store may be in order tonight.

Ozmoid, great advice, absolutely spot on the button. All animals will respond to love and caring, imo a home without animals definitely lacks something.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Beautiful girl, Mekidsmom. She looks intelligent, I bet she takes to the click training quickly!

I'm sure you've found info online about it, but it is basically "stolen" from dolphin trainer's methods. It associates reward with "good" behavior. It takes patience and daily practice (sounds like guitar), but I have been very pleased with the results for my dog.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

23 (edited by lilwing 2009-10-13 22:59:24)

I have a hamster named Lil' ChiChi...

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/last_rebel/chichiposes.jpg
                                       ...who seems to know when you're taking her picture.

Lil' ChiChi is ADOREABLE!  She is posing for the picture!  ha ha!

Well... turns out that the fear aggression in this pooch is just too much for my kiddos.  I've had to make the executive decision to not keep her as she started barking, growling and snapped a bit at my 4 yr old (who did nothing but walk towards us slowly while the pooch was sitting with me).  She stopped immediatly when I gently corrected her... but still.  Sooo... I'm looking for a good home for her.  I've had a lot of people say they'd like to take her, but alas, she's not going to just anyone!  If I thought taking her in was a chore, finding someone that will be a good fit with her is going to be harder I think.

Sounds like the right decision.  She'll be a good dog with enough training and care, but it's not right to put your children at risk in the meanwhile.  People who do that to dogs ... grrrrrrrrrr.  Not what you're doing, but what the previous owner did to make her this way. 

- Zurf