Re: How long have you been playing? Male or Female & Country U R from..lol

41 year old male from Ireland.  Always wanted to play and I started playing almost 5 years ago.  Self teaching for first year, then lessons for 2 years.  The current economic climate means I'm back to teaching myself!

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Hi all...

I sorta stumbled upon this web site when I was searching for some new Taylor Swift tabs/chords.  This seem like a friendly forum, so I decided to join after being a lurker for the past few days ...LOL. :-)

I'm from Chicago, IL and started learning how to play the guitar way back in the early 1970s when I was in high school.  Yikes, that make me feel old ...LOL ...since I'm now in my early 50's.  I'm not a pro, I just play the guitar as hobby for my own enjoyment.  I'm pretty much self-taught, but I did take a couple of basic lessons many years ago.  However for the past 10 years or so, work and other hobbies have taken up most of my time, so I just recently started playing again.  Although I've been playing the guitar for awhile now, I still have lots to learn!

My first guitar was an old classical that was given to me by my brother, however that was a real pain to play.  So, I saved up and bought a 12-string acoustic (Cortez) a year later.  I still have that old Cortez, but I prefer my Ovation Elite L718 acoustic/electric which I bought new back in 1994 (I think).

Taylor 314CE, Ovation Elite L718, Cortez 12-string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, Kala Makala MK-T Uke
Fender Champion 20 Amp, Acoustic AG15 Amp
Line 6 Relay G10 Wireless Guitar System
ToneWood Amp

Welcome to Chordie road66warrior.  I just returned from Chicago on Friday.  Nice town - at least the parts I saw (which are the business and tourist districts).  It was a wildly successful trip because I found a nice new felt hat at Orvis.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for the welcome, Zurf, and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Chicago!

Taylor 314CE, Ovation Elite L718, Cortez 12-string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, Kala Makala MK-T Uke
Fender Champion 20 Amp, Acoustic AG15 Amp
Line 6 Relay G10 Wireless Guitar System
ToneWood Amp

wlbaye wrote:

Welcome Don,

There are a lot of good folks here willing to help , with anything to do with music. All skill levels here to. Don't be afraid to ask questions smile

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm sure I'll have some questions as I begin to play more.

Don

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

bensonp wrote:

Glad to hear it Don.  It's really never too late.  You just have to stick with it and practice alot and visiting here often will keep your interest going.  Good luck

That's my "problem" right now... finding the time to practice practice and more practice.

Don

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

It is sometimes very hard to find time when you have an already busy schedule, but you just have to keep the guitar handy and make time.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

83 (edited by louinvegas 2009-10-15 05:53:04)

I've been playing for 6 years, am 52 years young male. Hoping to be doing a duo soon in a local bar here in Vegas.

38 here, been playing almost a year and still not off open chords, is that slow? I'm still not hitting the chords right occationally, went and had summer in the uk for 2 months in this time so my fingers went back to normal and had to toughen them up again most annoying...

I started learning after a very bad motorcycle accident saw me hospitalised for 5 weeks and in a wheelchair for 3 months - I ordered a maton 325c the day I got out of hospital and been banging on it ever since, it still has all the dints from the pins and brace, very therapeutic.

I am finding the side benefit of the enjoyment me trying to learn the guitar is giving my two young son's is such an added incentive that I'd encourage anyone with young children to try learning, just the act of learning itself can be great fun for them.

I'm in brisbane Australia

48 year old male (with the mind of a six year old just turned or at least I act like I'm six) from Pico on the Riviera (Pico Rivera) Calif. I've been playing for 35 years.

Regards,

Bootlegger,
Bootlegger guitars.

Frasser's the name and I've been playing guitar for 9 years or so. Mostly I played on church, but I also played on cafe and any party here in my city ^^

..ah! pleasure vxn911!..20yo male from nrth FL i've played since i was 6-7, writing and composing since 10..i currently play a yamaha acoustic, ibanez 5 strng acoustic bass and my ibanez rg electric..

hi vxn911
originaly scotland,of late, the  catskill mountains new york
male playing about 35 years,love irish,country,some rock and
roll played in a few bands in scotland one called contraband
went on to be called ossain (that was after i left) i play guitar,6
and 12 string 5 string banjo 4string banjo and mandolin

I am 52 and started playing guitar three years ago. Actually, I tried years ago in college but other things  competed for my attention then. Now I try and play as much as I can. I'm getting the bar chords better now. I guess I have found that there  are songs that you just have to play and some have bar chords. Still have those moments when the fingers just don't go where they need to go. Best learning advice- Go to RU Kind hit random song and try to play or go to dylan chords there's enough there to keep anyone on track and of course chordie though it seems a lot of songs have dissappeared?? I am living in Montgomery Alabama and play on a Breedlove.

well started 6 months ago gave up after 3 and now 3 months later at it nce more, should never have stopped. God my singing is meeeeow meeeeeeowwww but enjoy it. 52 and still dont care growing old disscracefully. any one in berkshire uk like to get together and help each other let me know.

Hi everyone

This is my first forum post - so please forgive any mistakes or signs of my stupidity smile

I'm from a small town in Cornwall (South West England) and I've been learning to play guitar for about a year now.

Really really enjoying my journey, even if it does feel like a slow and painful one.

I would love to chat with and build some relationships with fellow guitarists.

Cheers everyone

Cornish Steve

Hey Everybody - JK Here (Jim)   I am a teacher in Upstate New York near Cooperstown.  I have been teching myself guitar - theanks to all the wonderful freeby lessons on the net...and after a couple of years I'm actually starting to get it. I am enjoying playing songs and even a little writing. Playing guitar is my "getaway". I just try each day to learn something different and play everything  else over again. (It used to be quick - now it takes a lot longer) NIce to be part of this family - Kudos to Ken for sending me this link !

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Hey Jim, Welcome to Chordie smile

There isn't a better board on the net for knowledge and friendly folks. Ask and you shall receive. smile
By the by...What do you teach in New York?

PS...........Go Jays big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi everyone, my name is Roger, I was born 66 years ago in Kent, England but now live a great life in Turkey playing my guitar. I was 9 years old when I started to learn and still learning now. The most important thing is that I still love it. Pity Chordie wasnt about then, what a great site. Sherafe to all Roger.

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.

Nice to have another Roger on Chordie so welcome to you and to Jim  a warm welcome too.

There are people of all ages and skill levels visiting the site so feel free to ask any questions and offer advice where you can. In other words please join the gang and make yourself at home.

Roher

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Gidday everyone I'm 42 from Australia. I have been playing for 1 year. I try and get some practice in everyday but with work, kids and lots of animals to look after I am lucky if I get a good solid 15 mins a day. I can only play when no-one is home because my playing stinks.
My goal is to get better. I am also trying to get my head around the theory stuff, barr chords and the dreaded F. Also trying to play and sing at the same time which is suprisingly hard to do.
I would love to chat and make contact with other guitarists.

Persistance is my only talent!

Hi, I've been playing on and off for 30 years, and only just reached a semi-confident stage.
65 on Friday! retireing so should find much more time to practice. Still enjoying even with all the mistakes.
All the best John.

Hi, I am 53, male, started playing when I was 11. Self taught until college. Majored in Music ..have a Bachelor Of Music is Classical guitar. Played blues, jazz, country, rock, pop, top 40..... love the instrument. Still learning everyday. When I taught I was always learning from my students. Still learning. Nothing like playing and performing and making someone smile......

Hi , I'm Phil from Ireland. Started about 5 years ago when i was around 31. Just play on/off ,havn't mastered barre chords yet ,but enjoying playing some of the songs i like. Complete guitar player books were a good help for me, havnt had any lessons. Going to buy my second guitar tomorrow hopefully it goes well !!(second hand)

hey vxn, i'm a 54yr old male Maori, native of Aotearoa (New Zealand), as for me I been playn the gat more than 20yrs,
been and still am playn and singing in public for 12yrs, most times solo and sometimes with our family band or some of the other cuzzies,
keep at it they'll(fingers) will come right.

practice makes better, perfect practice makes perfect.