Topic: Private Screening

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I were invited to a private screening of a movie that was filmed in our area, it's called "Red Dirt Rising" My wife is related to the person who had the movie made about his Dad and his Mom, who had met during the early 1940's. He started out running moonshine, and that led to racing, as lots of people in the South know. I'm not a race fan myself, but I really enjoyed the movie, and afterwards there was a big buffet to eat. If you've ever seen the movie "Remember The Titans" with Denzel Washington, The kid who was kicked off the team because he wouldn't go along with the intergration of the team, his real name is Brad Yoder, he was one of the people who starred in the movie, got to meet him as well as the other actors. Everything was set up very nice at the screening, even the old cars from the movie were there, a black and white checkered walkway, really done up  great. I won't go into all the details but here's a link to the news report and website, oh by the way I even got to meet the guy who did the musical score for the movie, he was from California. I'm not sure everythings up and running on the website or not  but here's a link to the news report and website for the movie.

http://news14.com/triad-news-94-content … homasville

http://www.reddirtrising.com/new/index. … p;Itemid=5

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Private Screening

Cam that looks like a very exciting time. Sounds like a good movie too!

Later, Wayne P

Very Cool Cam. big_smile

I'm not much into the racing thing either but the history behind the movie must have been fascinating to learn about,let alone be apart of the screening.
I clicked on the link for home on their website and got a trailer that looks pretty good.
I'll be keeping my eyes open for when it comes around.
Thanks

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Thanks Wilbaye, and Kap,

I'm told now there's a better link on facebook, just type in red dirt rising, Kap it was great learning about the history of the sport.

Kap, it's not out just yet, there just now trying to get a distributer for the movie, hopefully someone will pick it up. One other thing I forgot to mention is that one of the Producers  of the movie was an assitant producer on the movie "Titianic.

Cam

It's amazing the racing heritage in this state and how it's still so active in this part of the country. Most counties still have an active dirt track race on Friday nights. I've got a buddy who runs modifieds at Bowman Grey every week. The history at that old track is amazing.

Looks like a cool movie Cam and it must be neat to have an inside scoop into the background.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

A good film AND a buffet - excellent!
Don't tend to go out much to see movies around here - too much buffet-ing during the performance!
Cheers (cider)!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Sweet. That sounds great.  My grandfather was a moonshiner and his cousins did the running.  At my grandmother's funeral, a couple of those cousins were there and sharing stories about the "old days."  They were wild days.  One of those cousins was still running a speed shop.  He wanted to enter his '33 Ford (THUTTYTHEE FO) into "the great race" when the Statue of Liberty was reopened back in '86, but he couldn't get permits for his support van to drive the "fuel" across state lines.  Apparently he was still moon-shining, except he used it as fuel for his race cars.  I'll bet if the stories in the movie were even close to as harrowing and crazy as the stories my old cousins told that the movie is a blast.  And who doesn't love a buffet? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

One of the stories told before the movie by a local TV sports guy was that in the early days of Nascar that "Ned Jarrett" had career earnings of 138,000 dollars, the guy who came in last, in the point standings last year "Joey Lagano" not sure thats spelled right, but anyway he made more money coming in last place than Ned did his whole career. They told the amount Joey made but I can't remember how much more it was. I guess thats how far that sport has come.....and yes Zurf...the buffet was great!

Cam

Another interesting NASCAR tidbit.  Back before it was sanctioned and it was still just moonshiners racing on the packed sand on the beach at Daytona, Junior Johnson ran a car.  He removed the brakes.  Someone asked him why he had the brakes removed.  He replied, "They slow me down." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

10 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-10-14 00:02:58)

A few links to the movie, it's now on "youtube"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcl66DcJ4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usy21ZM6TaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPg97PbZwNM

Gary and his wife are my wifes Aunt and Uncle, and Carrie portrayed in the movie is still

living and a great cook, I might mention.

Cam