Topic: Setup question

I've got a new(er) acoustic guitar that I haven't had a setup for, largely because it seems to play just fine.  However, I like to change strings about every 6 months or so, and I like to try different gauges.  Not too different (.010, .011, .012), but on my previous guitar, the guy who did the setup said "It's set up for .011's now," as if putting a different gauge on it would destroy my guitar.

Is there that much of a difference in the lighter acoustic gauges that the guitar's truss rod needs to be adjusted every time you change?  I have no experience in doing this on my own, and wouldn't trust myself anyway.  Suggestions?

Re: Setup question

As a general rule you can move up or down one gauge without having to adjust the truss rod on most acoustics. So if you're set up for 11s you can probably play around with 10s or 12s without any trouble at all. If it's set really really low it's possable it could buzz with 10's but it's unlikely and if it did you'd just have to tighten the truss about an 1/8 turn to fix it and then an 1/8 turn back when you change again, if you go back heavier.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

It's all about feel. If your guitar feels right...it is right. You'll know when you need a set up.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Many guitars do not have adjustable truss rod like my Martin D-35. As a rule medium and lighter gauge strings won't have much effect regarding the neck. I'd stay away from heavy gauge though. Go on-line and see what your manufacturer recommends on gauge limits.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian

I always use lights(martin marquis)on my acoustic.In my past experience heavier gauge strings can warp the neck especially if you live in a humid,hot region.If you have a buzzing prob.have the frets filed so they are all the same height

if you try a heavy guage string you can raise the nut or saddle or both by putting shim stock under them can be purchased at most hardware stores. to put it back just take out the shimms the big problem comes in if the strings are to big for the groves on the nut or bridge dont change them replace them keep the old ones to go back heavy guage strings will open up the light gauge slotts then the light strings will not work right

always pickin someting

Thanks to all.  My main concern was damaging my guitar; I don't feel too worried now about going up or down 1/100th in gauge.