Topic: Copying Lyrics TO MS Word

I like to use "copy and paste" to transfer Chordie lyrics and chords to a Word document.  From there I want to enlarge font and change some spacing so that the final document/song is easier for me to read and play from.

PROBLEM:  When I try to change the spacing and make the fonts larger the lines and words often become jumbled and change positions.  It appears that there are cells and columns or the like that I am changing.

Can someone explain how I can put my lyrics in the document and then make the changes I want.  How can I change the format which is used on CHordie?  Can I do it at Chordie?  Or in Word? 

Thanks for any help!

Re: Copying Lyrics TO MS Word

If you select print from the menu on the right you can then choose a font size.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hope you don't mind rvjimzhr but i thought this topic belonged more in here than in chat. Cheers.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

If you copy and paste to word you need to see the table grid lines to do the formating, since everything is formatted into tables. To see the grid lines, click on the symbol that looks like a bold P on the toolbar. Then you can see where things are in the cells of the tables.

This topic has been discussed before, but coming from different view points.  When you copy or view a song that you find through the chordie search engine, you're viewing the song which is formatted to look all pretty.  It's actually chordpro formatting ... similar to how I can make this word bold: bold, by typing codes into the forum.  The only way to copy the song without all the formatting - so you're not dealing with tables and cells is to view the song in it's original form (with the coding).  When viewing, on the right of the screen 4th box down click on "chopro" ... now the chords are in [brackets] right before the word they WOULD have shown up above.  You're also going to see some other stuff in bracket and also in {} these type of brackets.  You can now copy and paste and do whatever you'd like without having to deal with tables.  To make life EASIEST... I would suggest viewing and copying the song in this format... space it how you like, remove the extra brackets and formatting that you don't need, and then just make all the chords a different color so they'll still stand out to you... but again, they'll be before the word, not above it.

Hope that helps some... enjoy!

Oh... and as alvee33 said... you could just change the font size when printing instead of all that stuff.  When you choose print and the document shows up on one page... at the top there are three letter A's one bigger or smaller than the other... try clicking on one of those and see how the font size changes.  You can also change where (if) the chord charts are printed if you like directly on the site.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Instead if going through all of the hassle of trying to reformat cordie (i.e. cordpro) lyrics/cords that you copy/pasted into Word, I would suggest using a Cordpro editor such as "Songbook" which is a freeware program by LinkeSoft.  It'll make your life a lot easier.

Not only can you copy/paste the cordpro formated lyrics/chords found on this site into Songbook, but you also have the ability to edit, correct errors, change fonts/font sizes, etc. and keep all of your cordpro songs organized.

After reading a thread in the "Cordie/Editor" forum about cordpro editors, I downloaded Songbook to give it a try.  Since I like to substitute/add different chord arrangements for some songs, I found this program to be just what I needed!  Oh, and the printed lyrics w/chords look very good and are easy to read.  You can make the font size as large as you wish.

Here's the link to that thread...  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12795
Also, here's the link to the LinkeSoft Songbook site...  http://linkesoft.com/songbook

I've been using Songbook for about a week now and it works very well.

Taylor 314CE, Ovation Elite L718, Cortez 12-string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, Kala Makala MK-T Uke
Fender Champion 20 Amp, Acoustic AG15 Amp
Line 6 Relay G10 Wireless Guitar System
ToneWood Amp

7 (edited by bensonp 2009-10-25 22:23:04)

I've used Songbook for years and it is a very good program for Chordpro files.  I have it in Windows and on my smartphone.  It also transposes chords.  I have often wondwered why Chordie doesn't contact them and advertise here.  And it allows you to print your song files.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Good deal guys.  Do you know what the download version can do?  Is it a 7 day, 30 day trial etc?  Full featured, or just a look until you purchase?  Thanks!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Go with mekidsmom's advice regarding Chordpro.  That will give you the lyrics and chords without the table, which is what's causing your problems.

The only problem you may come across is when you transpose a song in regular Chordie view, the Chordpro version will still be in the original key.  To solve this problem, cut and paste the song into the window on this site link removed which is an automatic transposer.  Then, after going through the motions to transpose the song, cut and paste the final version into MS Word.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

mekidsmom wrote:

Good deal guys.  Do you know what the download version can do?  Is it a 7 day, 30 day trial etc?  Full featured, or just a look until you purchase?  Thanks!

It's full featured, but it'll prompt you to purchase the license each time you use it.  I'm not sure if there's a trial period before it shutsdown ...LOL.  Usually, if I like a particular shareware program after the trial period is over, I'll buy it, since then you'll get updates and support.

Taylor 314CE, Ovation Elite L718, Cortez 12-string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, Kala Makala MK-T Uke
Fender Champion 20 Amp, Acoustic AG15 Amp
Line 6 Relay G10 Wireless Guitar System
ToneWood Amp

the download of Songbook is full-featured, and you can use it as long as you like, it just keeps working, and you get all the features.  But they are great folks, and you'll probably want to keep it and pay for it.

I find the song on Chordie, copy the chordpro and paste into Songbook, and then do all my editing, transposing, etc in Songbook.

PapaTom wrote:

Go with mekidsmom's advice regarding Chordpro.  That will give you the lyrics and chords without the table, which is what's causing your problems.

The only problem you may come across is when you transpose a song in regular Chordie view, the Chordpro version will still be in the original key.  To solve this problem, cut and paste the song into the window on this site    link removed   which is an automatic transposer.  Then, after going through the motions to transpose the song, cut and paste the final version into MS Word.

something very weird happens when I click that link...

I get the following:

Red Eye was pwned you !

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=48(apache),2523(psaserv)

by W4n73d

I'm worried

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

I have removed the link from PapaTom after finding that Manicbassman is claim is correct.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

rvjimzhr wrote:

I like to use "copy and paste" to transfer Chordie lyrics and chords to a Word document.  From there I want to enlarge font and change some spacing so that the final document/song is easier for me to read and play from.

PROBLEM:  When I try to change the spacing and make the fonts larger the lines and words often become jumbled and change positions.  It appears that there are cells and columns or the like that I am changing.

Can someone explain how I can put my lyrics in the document and then make the changes I want.  How can I change the format which is used on CHordie?  Can I do it at Chordie?  Or in Word? 

Thanks for any help!

I do exactly the same thing.  I often find incorrect lyrics, chords out of place or just plain wrong chords, so I copy and paste them into MS Word and edit them myself. 

The trick is to copy and then go into Word and, instead of choosing "paste", choose "Paste Special..." and then choose "unformatted text".  This will paste the text, but without the table formatting.  You can then manipulate the text just like you would in any Word document.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.