Topic: How does your guitar work?? (This is some great footage!!)

These are some really great videos by Ervin Somogyi covering some tone woods, tap testing, bracing, and the specifics on how your guitar produces sound... There are 3 parts but thus far only 2 have been uploaded. I'll add the 3rd as soon as it's available. Please take the time to watch and if your able, watch in HD. It helps you hear it much better.

http://www.dailymotion.com/user/Guitarp … art1_music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAEQKmyB5Nk

Enjoy! smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: How does your guitar work?? (This is some great footage!!)

That's very interesting.  It kind of brings everything together

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Cool vids Pix - Thanks!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks for the links Pix..Never too Old to learn something new. big_smile
Looking forwards to #3

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Glad you guys enjoyed the vids! Ervin is a real master when it comes to lutherie! I could listen to him for hours on end. If any of you are interested Here's a link where you can download a few of his workshops. http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/vi … nor.net.au  Just click the play icon and it will download. You can't see the blackboard well in these but he covers some really interesting subjects like radiusing (compound curved) tops, voicing, etc...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

hey guitarpix,that was a great bit  of information thank you for sharing it .  dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yes, thank you very much for sharing this!  I love listening to him.  He reminds me of my high school physics teacher... they are a very special "breed" of people indeed.  Always so excited and engrossed in what they do, yet coming across so calm and collected.  This was very interesting and posted at the right time.  I was just doing a bunch of research into guitar woods yesterday... this answered a ton of questions and confirmed a lot of what I had read but explained WHY!  LOVE IT!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well I see they pulled part 1 but part 2 is still available... I'll see if I can get part 1 back up here tonight for those that missed it. Part 3 should still be coming soon.

Mekidsmom, I have a ton of bookmarks saved on tonewoods and such, If you want I'll email you a few good links that you may find interesting. -Pix

Guitarpix wrote:

Mekidsmom, I have a ton of bookmarks saved on tonewoods and such, If you want I'll email you a few good links that you may find interesting. -Pix

Pix, that'd be awesome!  Send the links.  I love to learn why and how things work.  When I'm ready for my next guitar, or ready to help my hubby pick out his next (he needs a new one more than I do... since mine's only a couple weeks old his a few years - LOL) it'll help make a good match.  Plus, I get bored without some type of constant education.  TKS!

Thanks for that Guitarpix - the first clip has been removed from Y/tube but I watched the second one & some of the other clips on there about Mr Somogyi. Don't know much about art, but that is art!
The piece about how the top & back vibrate made me think of another post where someone mentioned the John Pearse armrest - just looked this up again at www.jpstrings.com/armrest. The basic idea is to keep your arm away from the guitar top so that you are not damping the sound. Looks like something a skilled person such as yourself could make!
Cheers! (today, cider, I think)!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Part 1 has been repaired... (I think) If not I'll take care of it this afternoon. I just uploaded it and it's still processing so I can't check for sure..

Hey Norm, I've considered the jp rest but haven't tried one yet.  Though I know some fingerstylist that swear by them...  They also make a similar product for the back to keep it away from the body and allow more resonance.

Mekidsmom, I'll get those links to you this evening when I get home from work.

Normtheguitar... your link is missing the .htm at the end, for anyone looking here it is: http://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm  - that's interesting, now I'm going to have to pay more attention to where my arm is and see what a difference changing my "comfort" will do to the sound!

Thanks Pix!  I look forward to working my brain a bit more tomorrow morning!

The 2nd clip was awesome. Thanks guitarpix!