Topic: Punk worship song

Hey Upyerkilt - I thought of you on Sunday.  Our worship band did a punk worship song.  I told the worship leader later that he shouldn't practice punk songs.  It just didn't feel right.  He said that any style is acceptable for worship.  Then I told him he didn't understand me.  I didn't have a problem with them DOING a punk song.  I said they shouldn't PRACTICE a punk song, and besides if you don't have to send a runner to the hotel to drag at least one of the band members out of bed and pump him full of B-complex and caffeine on the way to the gig it just wasn't right.  Ends up he had a touch of flu and had pumped himself full of B-complex and caffeine.  Different kind of flu than I had in mind though. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Punk worship song

I dont know Punk and worship sounds like ice cream and ketchup takes all kinds I guess smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Punk worship is sometimes a good combination. The group Stellar Kart does this and they are a really good band. I guess it's what you like if weather or not it suits your style of worship. For me i'll stick with the contemporary/rock it works better to slow the flow of music and emotions.

I liked it better than most of the contemporary Christian music.  Pretty challenging lyrics in it.  I'm not a big fan of the worship style of music.  I call it seven eleven songs.  Seven words repeated eleven times.  Often they don't even say what they mean by "you" - they just talk about "you" rather than Jesus or the Lord.  I call those psycho girlfriend songs, because they could as easily be sung by a psycho girlfriend as by a worshipper. 

What I like are the folk and country gospel songs, like "Oh Death Where Is Thy Sting" and "I'll Fly Away."  Totally a style preference.  Nothing to do with what's right, wrong, or in between. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

lol zurf.

Hmm punk and worship together? i think it could work.

As i have said before punk music is not always about anarchy etc. it is anti establishment mostly against the government but i suppose it could be against any estabishment that tells you what to do, therefore it would not have a place for worship or maybe it could as long as the worshipping was not telling you that you had to do something because they say so.

But on the other side of things with the stlye of music and not the meaning of it then you could merge the music with the worship. I dont think anyone that was a believer would object to this. you are going to get young folk that are into punk music that do believe but dont go to church. now if they heard that their local church played punk music i think it would make them go along to see what was going on. I might even attend a service just to hear this, but I dont know if i would like the song much,lol.
I like most of all the lyrics of a song so if it was very holy holy sort of stuff i probably would care for it much.
Some songs I sing do mention god or jesus like " sam stone" by John Prine or "post war dream" by pink floyd. also i play along with a religous song when my mate plays it, dont really know what it is called but maybe " will the circle be unbroken". I dont play it because i agree with it, i just like the tune and the chorus, it is a good one for a jam, so maybe no matter the words if the chorus is a good wee catchy one, i might play or listen to anything. But it doesnt mean i have to believe in it.

LOL, i just read your post again there just now and just understood what you were meaning,lol. hahahahah, that was a good one.
I was thinking of deleting my words there as i misunderstood at first, but since i spent ages typing it i think i will leave it

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Glad you didn't erase your hard-typed words.  It's some good stuff. 

My family attends a non-denominational church.  We're kind of anti-establish by nature - recognizing no formal structure or international leadership aside from Jesus, and taking only Scripture as our rulebook.  We aren't hung up on things like having bishops, archbishops, cardinals and whatnot.  Our pastors all go by first name rather than Reverend Whoziwhatzit.  There is a general understanding that ministry is to be done by EVERYONE, not just the paid professional holy men.  If a church could be "anti-establishment", I think we'd fit that description. 

You'd love the music.  The band totally rocks.  The lead pastor doesn't like country AT ALL.  He's a real-deal musician in his own right.  Me and my 1, 5, 1, 5, 1-2-4-5 bass lines are no longer welcome on stage.  cool  Now I run the lights.  They won't let me at the sound board either.  I crank the acoustic and vocals and stick the electrics in the back of the mix.  smile

- Zurf

In fact Zurf the band The Alarm are classed as a punk band and they have quite a few songs that could be christian songs that i dont think would be out of place in a music going sort of church.
and the sex pistols did sing god save the queen.
lol
i know ... that doesnt count

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hahaha.

They also opened up their anthemic 'Anarchy in the U.K', with the unforgettable "I am an Anti-christ, I am an Anarchist..."

I doubt that'd go down well in one of Liverpool's 2 Cathedral's at Midnight mass on Chrimbo Eve.

"And on payday, we'll tear the place down.
With a pint, in our hand's, and a bash 'em out band.
Sure we'll dance, to the sound, of the rain falling down.
In our Northern Industrial Town."