Topic: My job is gone

Well, It happened last Friday, my place of employment shut their doors, not all is bad though, it was a very stressful place, I'm glad to be out of there. On one hand I want a job, but on the other I'm relieved to be stress free for a while. Were lucky enough to have stashed a little away for a rainy day so hopefully I'll  get better at my guitar now since suddenly I have lots more time on my hands. I was there on that job for a little over 15 years so it was time for a change, as well as a little rest. Plus that means more time spent on here with friends!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

2 (edited by henryb 2009-11-02 22:38:09)

Re: My job is gone

You stuck a crap job for all those years , you deserve a medal .....and a new axe

Hey Cam ,
   Sorry to hear that , but a lot of the time things like this can be a blessing in disguise ... No one is immune in this economy ... Lot of folks tell me that since I'm self employed , I don't have to worry about that stuff , but when there just is'nt a lot of money around , people don't spend like they would and that affects me too ... Hey , enjoy the time and play guitar and we'll look forward to seeing you on here more , L O L ... Just getting into my slower time also , so hopefully I'll be around more too , L O L ...
                          Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Hey Cam Sorry to hear about your work. It sounds to me like you got the right attitude to handle this little bump in the road.

There's always a silver lining, you just have to look for it. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Take some time to reflect Cameronkl7 on all the things
you wanted to do, but didnt have the time  to do because of work !

Easy peasy. Everything in life is for a reason.

Then make some choices on what comes first.

Enjoy your free time with you and yours.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Best of luck to you Cam. I've been out of work a little over 5 months now. Been picking up a few temp jobs here and there, but times are tough. When I was looking for employment 2 years ago, I almost immediately had 4 offers. Now, nobody in my business has any work and they do not want to commit to adding to overhead. I've got an interview on Thursday, maybe something will work out.

Enjoy your break, you deserve it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

What part of NC...I've got free time too!

peace,
dw

Yeah, I said my dog doesn't bite, but that's not my dog.

I feel for you guys,

It is tough here too, I have been working on and off but this year I have worked about 30 % of what I normally do. Gives me more time to work on my "Cowboy Chords"

Thank You to Pix for the term "Cowboy Chords"  smile

Later, Wayne P

Thanks everyone,

I appreciate all your kind words, when I think of others I know and what some of them are facing, then I'm gonna be ok. My Mother in Law has terminal cancer so my wife and I are caring for her, so that makes my troubles seem small when you put things in perspective. I'm certain things will turn around, but for now, I'm just enjoying it, thanks again guys for the kind words!

Cam

Hey Brainsaladsurgeon, I'm from just outside of Lexington NC, not real far from Topdown, a little futher from GuitarPix, are you from NC?

Good luck, not that luck has anything to do with it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hey cam,I really admire your attatude,it is hard to start over again and hard to live right now with the economy being so bad. I do hope things turn for the better for you and some of the other members out there.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

12 (edited by NELA 2009-11-06 00:20:02)

Cam, I went through what you are going thru as this happened to me earlier in the year. Take my advise and DON'T wait too long in trying to locate that new job. Jobs today are  scarce and the competition is great. It took me over 5 months just to begin getting contacts back from my resume. I would spend hours each day sending out resume', making contact with people I knew within the industry, (construction management) vbisiting the General Contractors located within my hometown, traveling to surrounding towns and doing the same. When all was said and done I had over 500 resume's sent out to various companies and even had contacted "headhunters" (at a cost to me) to help find employement. I did take one of the 1st jobs offered, as I was desprate and was very unhappy there. I am presently working 300 miles away from home, got a good job with what appears to be a VERY good company, and making GOOD $$$$$$$, with benifits.

I, too, had a nest egg saved uo for "rainy days" - IT GOES FASTER THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE - and takes even longer to build back up.

Nela

Hi Topdown,

Did you have your interview today ? or are my time zones  out on this one ?

Good luck to you which ever way.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Topdown,

Did you have your interview today ? or are my time zones  out on this one ?

Good luck to you which ever way.

Old Doll.

Thanks for asking Doll - The interview actually was postponed until tomorrow (Friday), I'll let you know how it goes. I appreciate the well wishes smile

Thanks for the advice Nela, and that makes sense, especially about the nest egg. But today they called me, I went back in and worked today, and maybe some next week, it turns out they are thinking of re-opening under a new name and management. I am enjoying my time away. And if they start back up, I'll most likely go back, maybe, or not, who knows at least I can think about more time off anyway. But again yes, that was good advice. Thanks everyone for your concern, it means alot!

Cam

I have my fingers crossed and I'm sending good vibes your way Tops smile

Later, Wayne P

Hey, Top. didn't we talk awhile back about work? Aren't you in the construction field? I lost my job back in Feburary so I'm well aware of what you are going thru. I just took a Project Superintendent' position on a construction project in New Orleans, La. so things are really looking up. From what I can see there is a lotta work opening up in the commericial construction field. here, and a qualified person should not have any problems in finding something. It's a 300 mile (one way) trip back home but I do have weekends off so it's not that bad. There is a lotta people, here, for the labor but management people are kinda in demand. Just a thought.

Nela

There is a reason for everything. I'm sure that a new and better opportunity will arise.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

NELA wrote:

Hey, Top. didn't we talk awhile back about work? Aren't you in the construction field? I lost my job back in Feburary so I'm well aware of what you are going thru. I just took a Project Superintendent' position on a construction project in New Orleans, La. so things are really looking up. From what I can see there is a lotta work opening up in the commericial construction field. here, and a qualified person should not have any problems in finding something. It's a 300 mile (one way) trip back home but I do have weekends off so it's not that bad. There is a lotta people, here, for the labor but management people are kinda in demand. Just a thought.

Nela

Hey NELA - Yea, I am an Electrical Project Manager - very experienced in large projects -  My last project was a $22M (electrical contract) Design / Build Federal Prison. When I quit my job in May, I was assured by a previous boss that I had a job with him, but things did not work out. There is just not much new construction happening in my area. When the banks all got in trouble, the funding for commercial construction also dried up. I had an interview last week, and should hear something by tomorrow. Relocating is really not an option due to family constraints, but I am certainly open to travel. I'll send you my resume via email if you don't mind passing it around. I'll also check the N.O. CraigsList - who knows, maybe we'll be jamming together soon. Thanks for the heads up.

TP, not a problem. Let me know if I can help in any way. Through most of my career I've had to travel and be away from home. It's not something that's easy but I've done it so long  my wife and I have become accoustomed to it. Not the best lifestyles but it does pay the bills.

Nela