Topic: Been away for a while - there's been changes!

Hi all,

I haven't posted for a while but I have been reading the forum and practicing as much as ever.  There’s been quite a lot going on in my life over the past 4 weeks, I retired from bicycle racing in April and after the summer off to reflect I decided once and for all that I have made the right decision, so I’ve been ebaying all my gear.  It’s surprising how much time and effort it takes.  On top of that I purchased a motorbike as I couldn’t entirely give up 2 wheels!

Anyway, my music also underwent a bit of a transition, since I started in January I’ve been playing the usual stuff that most beginners play, the stuff that makes up 90% of the beginners song books on here.  However I sort of moved to more updated and modern songs, playing any chart song or tune that took my fancy, it didn’t have to be “guitar† music just anything that had energy and a good melody.  Over the years I've been concious that my music taste has been "tunnel visioned", tending to only listen to guitar based music.  But I was thinking, now that I can play the guitar, any music can be guitar music can't it.. so I've opened up a little?  I’ve even had a go at transcribing a few songs for which I can’t get the chords for.   

I’m really happy with how it’s going and my family seem to be more tolerant of the new music choice, don’t get me wrong, I love Neil Young, The Beatles etc but my family don’t!

The only downside is that I sort of had to take a step backwards which is frustrating because of the new songs, a few new chords, new patterns and I’m still not really happy with my playing but then I never will be.

Hopefully I can get some new stuff on my youtube channel soon?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Been away for a while - there's been changes!

crevs72,
You transited a "passage" when you retired-a door you pass through where many things have changed on the other side.
I have always had music as an anchor in my life to help me settle in after one of these passages.
After retiring from my bar band after 24 years, I, also chose songs that tripped my trigger that I chose for fun to play for my friends- no matter if they were origonally arranged for piano or guitar.
If I can get enough going on the music to support the vocal line, then away we go.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Congratulations on making a decision that's right for you. 

Congratulations also on your new phase of guitar playing.  All development comes from stepping backwards and learning new things, so don't let that bother you in the least.  You will be a far better instrumentalist for it.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Crevs ,
   Congrats on choosing a new path ...
   As for music not really intended for guitar , heck I'll take anything ( if I like it ) , and do it with guitar ... If I can do an accoustic version of Phil Collins' " In The Air Tonight ", then I think just about anything can be played on guitar , L O L ........
                               Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Welcome back, Crevs.  It's not a step backward, its a step forward.  It's good to expand your choices.  Now you're on a roll.  And yes, you can play any kind of music on guitar.  That's how you make it your own.  Good luck

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

developing through exploration is fun! and after you have climbed one hill, the next one is easier and more enjoyable (but don't forget to practice the moves)

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Hehe...

first: If your family doesn't like the Beatles, something is wrong with them... (no offense intended... *smile*)

second: If it has a tune you can sing it, if it has chords you can strum it... There are a few bands here in germany that play the charts either as country AND western (they do both kinds of music) or Rock'n'Roll... Weird Al proves that you can play everything as a polka on the accordion...

I like playing stuff as different from the original as possible best...

Cheers,

T.