Topic: To 20 albums of all-time

The following mathematical formula was used:

"Album Staying Power Value + Sales Value + Critical Rating Value + Grammy Award Value"

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/yradis … e-for-real

And next up. the top 25 greatest hits albums;

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listof … f-best-ofs

Give everything but up.

Re: To 20 albums of all-time

thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.

not a bad list, but...
his approach highly values staying power (as does Mrs tonydr smile which kind of biases against albums made in the last 10 years, or has no one produced anything worthy in the last 10 years?

anyone can mention a dozen albums they think should be on it, but...
no Dylan?  How about Highway 61 or blood on the tracks?  Not a big dylan fan, but those albums had a very significant influence on music in general and the formula does not take impact into account.   No one remembers Paul Butterfield as it is.   Maybe the formula should take into account subsequent covers.   

any formula will have shortcomings, but I like his scientific approach and it produced a pretty interesting list.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

TOP 20 ALBUMS of ALL TIME. I found a fantastic link to ROLLING STONE TOP 500
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ … f_all_time
Underneath every song you will find information about the sales records.
As my good friend SOUTHPAW sais, and he USES THE CORRECT WORDS, I do agree, but I make my personal list.
My personal choice is:
1) WHITE ALBUM by the BEATLES but number 2 is a surprise, a genial album with almost every song played with the same chord sequence = BOB DYLAN'S:
2) PAT GARRET & BILLY THE KID by BOB DYLAN (contains the great song Knockin' on Heavens door.)
3) HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED by BOB DYLAN
4) ARE YOU EXPERIENCED by JIMI HENDRIX.
5) DARK SIDE OF THE MOON by PINK FLOYD
6) ELVIS PRESLEY'S FIRST ALBUM
7) JOSHUA TREE by U2
8) LED ZEPPELIN IV by Led Zeppelin
9) DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK by Deep Purple
10) THRILLER by Michael Jackson.
All these albums have "TOP CRITICS" "HUGE SALES NUMBERS (except probably Bob Dylan) & THESE ALBUMS ARE MILESTONES.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Stevie Wonder?????? Number one????
away with ye!!!!!

I was shocked to see that!! and to be honest I have never heard of that album but I bet I would know a few songs of it!

Na, I just cannot accept that Stevie is number one. I would admit he maybe good enough to be in the top 20 but #1 ???? no way!!!

I would have thought along with dark side and the wall that pink floyd would have had wish you were here in the top ten but maybe my personal opinion on what should be is clouding what is reality.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

A LIST WITH THE BEST SONGS
1. Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
2. Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones
3. Imagine, John Lennon
4. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
5. Respect, Aretha Franklin
6. Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys
7. Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry
8. Hey Jude, The Beatles
9. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
10. What'd I Say, Ray Charles

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

A LIST WITH THE BEST SONGS
1. Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
2. Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones
3. Imagine, John Lennon
4. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
5. Respect, Aretha Franklin
6. Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys
7. Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry
8. Hey Jude, The Beatles
9. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
10. What'd I Say, Ray Charles

A greatest songlist without Free Bird or Stairway to Heaven???? How refreshing!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi SouthPaw41L,

This is Smith communicating from UK, your formula for rating the album is cool. Thanks for providing link, its really interesting. I would like to listen Star Time by James Brown. Once again thanks and keep in touch.

[url=http://www.zoombits.de/reisezubehor/gesundheit-komfort]nackenstützkissen[/url]