Topic: what to do?

hiya all

ave been wrestling with what to do!..i play Acoustic guitars and almost never use a pick (just cant seem to get the hang of em) problem is ave got a epiphone j200(not long bought it)
1, firstly i get fret buzz, now the lad in the shop said it had been "setup" and the strings at the nut do sit low, ohh i`ll add am a strummer  not a finger picker (or nose picker come to that erhh)and at times not very light, though am trying to be hmm

2, though i know its a "jumbo" and supposed to be bassy(if thats the word?) it sounds more "muddy", ave tried changing the strings,putting on d`daddrios 11's,  :rolleyes

its getting where am leaving it to pick up my old "freshman" instead

am one confused dude and ideas??

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: what to do?

You could try some of the brass bridge pins to brighten it up and try to use a pick. You will always get a brighter sound from a pick. Don't give up on the beauty just yet. I'm sure some of the others on here will have better answers.

This month's "Acoustic Guitar" has a whole bunch of different changes that can be made.

As far as being "set up", a guitar needs to be "set up" for a playing style and style of music.  They probably did a generic set-up for their usual customer.  That's fine, and actually a good idea on their part.  But perhaps it's not 'set up' for the way YOU play.  There is no one way to set up a guitar.  So long as the thing is in tune, the rest is negotiable. 

I'm considering a bone saddle to brighten up my guitar for finger picking and also getting the action lowered a bit when doing it.  Will probably add brass bridge pins at the same time.  Finger picking does make a guitar sound muddier. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

micky the mooch wrote:

hiya all

ave been wrestling with what to do!..i play Acoustic guitars and almost never use a pick (just cant seem to get the hang of em) problem is ave got a epiphone j200(not long bought it)
1, firstly i get fret buzz, now the lad in the shop said it had been "setup" and the strings at the nut do sit low, ohh i`ll add am a strummer  not a finger picker (or nose picker come to that erhh)and at times not very light, though am trying to be hmm

2, though i know its a "jumbo" and supposed to be bassy(if thats the word?) it sounds more "muddy", ave tried changing the strings,putting on d`daddrios 11's,  :rolleyes

its getting where am leaving it to pick up my old "freshman" instead

am one confused dude and ideas??

J200 - Great minds and all that ;?)

I love mine, I have the action about 2mm at the 12th fret and I bang the hell out of it with a pick with little or no buzz (obviously I do if my fingers aren't correctly possioned on the chord shapes).  I play often without a pick but thats just when want to play quietly and don't want to wind the wife up too much.  I think generally when strumming with your fingers it hides any inaccuracies with your chord shapes because the sound is more muted and buzzes are less obvious.

Keep it going with the pick tho, the sounds you get are amazing on that guitar!

I've been using Martin Lights on mine and to be honest I'm considering going to mediums or a different brand just to try and see what the difference is?  Any advice?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

5 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-11-13 11:32:57)

crevs.1972 wrote:

I've been using Martin Lights on mine and to be honest I'm considering going to mediums or a different brand just to try and see what the difference is?  Any advice?

hiya Crev

I love my j200 too, and yes it sounds better using a pick as you said,

the guy in the shop recommended D'Addios strings 11's or 12's.  I used to use Ernie Ball Acoustic strings on another guitar, they are really bass'y so i wont be putting them on the j200, ave ordered some Gibson j200 acoustic strings let you know how they go(though take what i say with a pinch of salt, as am a reet novice).

Ps: tried different "Martins" and i cant get away with them at all.....each to our own me thinks! hmm

Cheers micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Sounds as though it still needs to be set-up again ,perhaps another luthier .

micky the mooch wrote:
crevs.1972 wrote:

hiya Crev

I love my j200 too, and yes it sounds better using a pick as you said,

the guy in the shop recommended D'Addios strings 11's or 12's.  I used to use Ernie Ball Acoustic strings on another guitar, they are really bass'y so i wont be putting them on the j200, ave ordered some Gibson j200 acoustic strings let you know how they go(though take what i say with a pinch of salt, as am a reet novice).

Ps: tried different "Martins" and i cant get away with them at all.....each to our own me thinks! hmm

Cheers micky cool

I've litterally just come back from lunch and I've picked up a pack of Martin Mediums just to experiment more than anything.  I'll let you know too.

Cheers

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

i to had a buzz on mine and wanted brighter sound i put a brass nut and bridge on it now i need volume control sounds great finger picking go easy on the strumming you will drown every one out

always pickin someting