1 (edited by Rajani 2009-11-10 10:40:25)

Topic: Rhythm

Hi,

I am a new member of Chordie. Your website has an amazing collection of chords for English songs. However, I miss the rhythms ( I mean strumming patterns) of the songs.

Where can I find this?

Thanx,
Rajani

Re: Rhythm

In your heart.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Rajani welcome to Chordie at present we do not have the strumming patterns included but that is a good idea, Chordie is a search engine we do not host the songs here we find them from other sites and a lot of requests are for strumming patterns perhaps there may be something we can do but this will take a little time and organization if it is possible at all but there may be a way smile

Rajani wrote:

Hi,

I am a new member of Chordie. Your website has an amazing collection of chords for English songs. However, I miss the rhythms ( I mean strumming patterns) of the songs.

Where can I find this?

Thanx,
Rajani

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Zurf wrote:

In your heart.

I'm with Zurf, just play and go with the flow!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the reply. It felt good to get such a quick reply.
One suggestion: Maybe, we could have a list of strumming patterns separately indexed. In the songs , we could write the name of the pattern. I was wondering if it would help if I sent some strumming patterns of songs that I know. Let me know..

Hi Zurf,

I wish I could do it by heart. Unfortunately I get just 1/2 hour to practise everyday since I have a small baby to look after. Hence, I asked..

Rajani Chordie has no way of storing these patterns it only searches other sites I will look around the net for a link to strumming patterns and post it for you if it is a free service if not I will pass it along in a email for you and you can strum when your not busy looking after the little one smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Not "by heart", "in" your heart.

I mean that both literally and figuratively.

If you are interested in doing a precise cover of the song, and if you haven't developed an ear for rhythm yet, then you will need someone to give you the rhythm.  However, my opinion on precise covers is that there's not a lot of point to them except sometimes as a tribute.  The original artist has already done the song that way.  Besides, even original artists change the songs they perform and don't do straight album covers all the time.  So the figurative part is that rhythm is in your heart.  Play what you feel rather than trying to cover the original artist with precision.  Play it the way you would have played it had you been the original artist.  Some of my favorite songs that I play were originally written for fiddle, hammered dulcimer, banjo, mandolin, and piano.  I don't make any attempt whatever to play them like I originally heard them on an album.  I take the song and play it from my heart, within my skill level and in a way that makes it fun for me and hopefully for anyone unfortunate enough to hear me. 

The literal part is that your heart is your guide to rhythm.  If you are healthy, at rest you're going to have a pretty steady heart beat.  Use that as a metronome of sorts.  Get used to feeling your own pulse and how it relates to music.  Get used to that PUMP pump PUMP pump PUMP pump PUMP pump.  As you listen to music, see if you can hear it.  ONE two THREE four ONE two THREE four (for common time songs) or ONE two three ONE two three ONE two three (for waltz time songs).  As you begin to hear the heart beat of the music then it becomes a fairly simple matter of listening carefully for how many strummies are happening in each beat.  I like Johnny Cash music, which has frequently been described as "the boom chicka boom sound."  BOOM (he hits a bass note and that's the only note for the first PUMP or ONE of the measure), then chicka (he does a down strum, the chick part, and an up strum, the 'a' part).  Both the 'chick' and the 'a' take place in the recovery 'pump' or 'two' beat.  Then he picks an alternating bass note and does another down and up strum.  He usually plays in 4/4 or common time, so each measure has four beats.  The full description of the four beats is ONE two THREE four, or BASS NOTE down and up strum ALTERNATING BASS NOTE down and up strum.  If you learn counting a measure it is ONE two-and THREE four-and ONE two-and THREE four-and.  It takes exactly as long to say ONE as it does to say two-and.  You have a steady beat.  Just like your heart. 

If using your heart is too difficult for you at first, and it is difficult, then purchase a metronome or use one on-line.  If you can, get one that allows you to set how many beats per measure there are and gives an extra strong click on the first beat of the measure.   

Soon, you will begin to pick up how many down strums (usually the stronger more full sounding strum) and up-strums (the higher pitched softer strum because many players only hit the treble strings on an upstrum) you hear for each click of the metronome or each beat of your heart.  There's your rhythm. 

Bear in mind that if you are listening to anything other than a solo artist playing only with an acoustic guitar, you are going to have to do as I suggest in the first part and modify what you hear.  You cannot make a solo acoustic guitar sound like full instrumentation with drums, bass, saxophones, piano, harmonica, lead and rhythm guitars, backup singers, etc.  A certain amount of bringing your heart to it (figuratively) is necessary.  Then throw in that you're a beginner with 1/2 hour per day to practice and you are probably listening to exceptionally talented professional players, precise covers are unlikely.  You would have to be a one in ten million natural player to be able to do that successfully.  Don't set yourself up for frustration that way. 

It just seemed quicker to suggest playing it from your heart as I did in my first message. 

Congratulations on your child.  I have two young ones at home myself.  I enjoy playing and singing lullabies for them.  The eldest is finally showing some interest in learning guitar herself. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Zurf,

I really appreciate that you took some time out to write what you meant by "By heart". I will definitely give this a try and keep you posted on my success :-)

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand... I will post a message if I need a strumming pattern.

Welcome to Chordie!  I love Zurf's explanation the best for strumming patterns!  I find that I start everything out with the same pattern (must be my heartbeat!  LOL) ... and then once I can change chords pretty well and sing along a little... then I look up on youtube the "real" way to strum and try that out... eventually it sounds something like it should ... tho probably I won't ever do a "true cover"!  Just ENJOY!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I am the same way. I tend to use the same strmming pattern over ad over, until I learn a song, and then I begin to branch out to using different patterns.

I love deadlines, I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)

Bigdaddy1970 wrote:

I am the same way. I tend to use the same strmming pattern over ad over, until I learn a song, and then I begin to branch out to using different patterns.

Hey, if it hasn't already been done... WELCOME to Chordie!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi All!!!!!!!!!!!

I've posted on this same subject before.

Zurf, as your words are very encouraging, for some of us they fall short. I can't pick out a strum pattern to save my life. I've been playing about a year now and it hasn't gotten any better. As for making up your own pattern, that doesn't work for some of us. I need to be shown how to do it. At this point I am incapable of putting something together and making it my own. I'm not musical enough to say let's see how this sounds.  Just like some people can listen to a song and hear a G chord or a C chord etc. One of those people I am not.

Pix has added lots of videos that show struming patterns. This is invaluable to me.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

hi rajini,I think zurf put down a good starting angle on doing the strumming,I play by heart as he describes it. it is alot   easyier if you hear the song and know the tempo,or timing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

welcome Raj

I too struggle to pick out strum patterns & chords (not musically minded or talented )

but i plod on when i play(use of the word lightly lol) i play music i really like,ave always been a rock n roll fan,1950's R n R that is

i emerse myself into the songs and play them that way..just for me,and no one else to please bar me dawg!! or she might be tempted to howl!!! lol she hasnt yet.

Keep going and be happy it will come in time ( thtas what i tell myself)

cheers micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

welcome
what i do to learn a new song is burn a cd of that song and play it over and over until it is burned into my brain get sheet music and words when i can or sit down and type them out (that helps me remember them) the chords are played with the left hand and the style is played with the right( unless you are left handed) when you start hearing the song with your heart and your soul you will be just fine. if i ever have to deal with a critic i offer them my guitar and say teach me. i am my worst critic
there are so many different styles strumming and picking  and tempos and how to do each combo it would be very hard to compile a list of them
just keep it fun and you will be happy

always pickin someting

for those who have trouble with strum patterns, i'll tell you what I do.  first of all, I threw away my pick long agao and started fingerpicking.  now, before you wonder how you can fingerpick when you can't even strum correctly, here's what I have found to work.  I pick the top three strings with my thumb and the bottom three with my finger.  I alternate between thumb and finger at the speed I am comfortable with the song.  i call it random picking.  no pattern involved.  I found that on faster songs I can alternately pick pretty fast, just hitting random strings.  Or very slowly if the song calls for it.  of course, you can use finger picks on two fingers if that blows your skirt up.  this way the chords sound true no matter if it is a strum or picking action.  I also sing with my songs and this works great for me.  I think it sounds good.  it shouldn't take much practice to get this down.  just try picking slowly and singing the melody, then faster on faster songs.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi Raj,

This is just difficult and takes time.

Plonk yourself in front of the hifi / ipod/ phonogram and stick on the tune that you want to play. Pretend to be holding a pick in one hand and start tapping the table in time to the tune. Then start making sweeping movements with the same hand while still tapping out the rythm.

Transfer to guitar and hey presto. It'll take you 6 months to get it right, but patience is a virtue.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Raj...

I've found YouTube to be a pretty good source for finding strumming patterns for some of the more popular songs.  I usually have pretty good luck at finding stuff by including either "Lesson" or "How to play" along with the title of the song in the search window.

Bensonp...

I just recently started learning fingerstyle, since I'm getting bored just playing rhythm guitar.  Plus, finger picking sounds really cool!  I may throw away my picks also, if I ever get good at this ...LOL.

Taylor 314CE, Ovation Elite L718, Cortez 12-string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, Kala Makala MK-T Uke
Fender Champion 20 Amp, Acoustic AG15 Amp
Line 6 Relay G10 Wireless Guitar System
ToneWood Amp

My grandson wanted us to learn "Back in Black" by A.C/D.C. which is quite a stretch for an old rhythm player like me.
I googled the title followed by "tutorial" and found a guy on U-Tube who took me slowly through all the licks and showed me where they were on the neck. I just about got it. I'm not even gonna try the lead guitar line but I can get enough rhythm plus riffs for fill to make the song sound right for little Casey to sing comfortably.
I think we can get away with it, okay.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?