Topic: New guitar

I have had such a good day today i just have to tell someone. ( people who understand ), no guitar players in family.
I bought myself a new guitar today, a vintage, and he altered the action for me, put new extra light strings on and i am so pleased with it, it's exactly what i wanted. That is not all..... practicing on my new guitar i have actually just mastered the barre chords, this very day after having attempted them for years!! hooray, i am so pleased.I feel like celebrating. I just need to practice going on to them from another chord now.
All i need now is a new voice, then i would be truly satisfied!

Re: New guitar

Wow a new guitar and nailing barre chords in the same day! Congrats hopeful!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Good for you Hopeful,

What brand and model guitar is it ? Please share more info. A guitar's setup can really help especially when just starting out. I think it is one of the huge stumbling blocks folks run into, starting with a guitar that is almost unplayable even to an experienced player.

Enjoy your new friend smile

Later, Wayne P

Well my budget was limited to £300 pounds and i eventually picked the Vintage V1300 sunburst. Before that, i have got an old E-Ros and a cheap woodstock, which i bought to practice the barre chords on which i still couldn't do.So, im really pleased with my new one and wish i had got it sooner.

P.S i was lucky enough to have my friend and her husband with me and he is a guitarist. He pointed out that the action on the guitar could do with being changed and so they did it there and then and then i told the man in the shop that i was used to extra light strings, so then he changed them as well so bingo, i got my perfect little guitar.

I hadn't heard of that model before. I did some reading on it and it sounds like you picked a good guitar and with a mahogany back and sides and a spruce top I bet the notes ring like bells smile

Later, Wayne P

Congratulations Hopeful,

It's always great when you get a new guitar, I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks for replies and congrats to you Cam on acquiring a Martin!! That would be a dream come true for many people.

Your post made my day. I know the feeling exactlyl. Take care my friend.

Congrats on your (belated) NGD!  I hope my hubby has as much luck with barre chords as you when we finally make it in to get him a "real" guitar!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

11 (edited by naolslager 2009-12-01 18:36:02)

I bought MY Christmas present from my wife to me this weekend: A 1979 Yamaha CJ818. I passed on 2 or 3 in as many months and found this one...which is THE one. Of course I had to hide it from myself so I could be surprised on Christmas Day. I cannot wait! She wouldn't let me clean it or restring it.

Barre chords? Still working on this but I can see progress and an epiphery (Michael Scott from "The Office") is near.

Good for you naolslager!  I'm thinking that's what's going to happen here too.  Hubby will get a new guitar that he will pick out himself from me. LOL!  Hmmm... I wonder if that means I get to have a chunk of money to purchase whatever I'd like for myself from him... now the wheels are turning!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

smile  smile  smile  smile smile  smile  smile  smile smile  smile  smile  smile smile  smile  smile  smile smile  smile  smile  smile

Most excellent news on both counts Hopeful!  Way to go.  Happy NGD. 

Naoslager - You're cracking me up.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The money I "saved" on purchasing my own guitar was reallocated today at a jewelry store.

There is no secret here, I already have my sights on a small-bodied guitar to round out the collection.

well alright,glad to hear you got a new guitar,its a good feeling to have something in your hands that you feel comfortable with, I will get my martin sometime in the next two years.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

At the moment, it feels like i will never be able to go straight on to the BM from another chord during a song. I have to keep stopping to place fingers correctly. It's going to take a lot of practice. Mind you, i remember thinking about the C chord like that once. It's all very well being able to play the barre chords adequately but its another thing actually playing them properly in a song, if you see what i mean.

Hopeful !

One question Would i be right in thinking " Night Nurse"?

If so very well done girl. Good to hear from you again.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Remain hopeful on the barre chords.  I can get to F, F#m, and Bm most times.  Almost in time.  It's only taken a couple years. 

The evil B continues to elude me.  I've gotten it a few times.  Just enough times to know it's possible and tick me off all the more.  It's evil, I tell you.  If you find that you need it check with Russell Harding for B chord amnesty.  He was passing it out like candy on Halloween one day. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Only taken a couple of years!! Ive got a while to go yet then.
Hi, Old doll, yes, night nurse i was but now a day and night nurse as im doing both,... which is knackering me out!!! Im getting old.