Topic: USB, Firewire, and Fibre Optics

I'm familiar with USB...firewire is faster and can transfer data both directions...also enables peer to peer hookup, but whats the fibre optics option for recording gear?

thanks.
s

Re: USB, Firewire, and Fibre Optics

If you look at the medium like a water pipe, it makes more sense.  The glass is like a great big pipe feeding a whole neighborhood, rather than a little skinny pipe just feeding your house.   Fiber allow more data to be transmitted in the same amount of time than you would get with USB or some other copper solution.

Digital information is transmitted the same way no matter what the format is.  Video, audio, text, whatever, it all comes across the wire as a stream of 1s and 0s.   So the more 1s and 0s you can transmit, the more data you can record.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks Jerome I am not to familiar with this smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I don't believe fiber optics is available in the home recording gear that I have researched . Firewire seems to be replacing USB for faster , more capabilites and less latency problems  than USB . Firewire seems to be able to handle a bigger load and seems to prevent some gliches and lockups that sometimes comes via USB.

Later, Wayne P

Specific to recording (information, not music) fiber channel has been used on high end server systems for a number of years.   If you've ever worked with a PC to install a hard drive, imagine being able to replace that ribbon cable with a single piece of glass, and attach it to a massive amount of storage running somewhere else in the room.

A single strand of optical fiber can carry as much as 40 gigabytes of data per second.   That's like seven full DVDs per second.

wlbaye wrote:

I don't believe fiber optics is available in the home recording gear that I have researched . Firewire seems to be replacing USB for faster , more capabilites and less latency problems  than USB . Firewire seems to be able to handle a bigger load and seems to prevent some gliches and lockups that sometimes comes via USB.

I've got optical audio available on my TV, so I know it's coming available in the commercial electronics market.  Firewire is popular because it's cheap, fast, and reliable.   Market forces will drive the cost of the optical stuff down to the point where it's palatable to the general consumer, and then we'll all be loving life.  smile

7 (edited by geoaguiar 2009-12-02 18:53:57)

Firewire seems plenty fast enough for home studio but I also thought my 20 MB hard drive from the 80's would never get filled smile  I've worked with fiber in other arenas and it can be delicate; not sure if that'll hamper it catching on.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

Firewire seems plenty fast enough for home studio but I also thought my 20 MB hard drive from the 80's would never get filled smile  I've worked with fiber in other arenas and it can be delicate; not sure if that'll hamper it catching on.

I think that's one of the biggest problems that they'll have to overcome before it really catches on.  Well, that, and price point, but the price will drop as production increases.

Yea Fiber optics will rule the market in the coming years! Straight out of college I worked for a company called Sumitomo Electric... I built fiber optic data cables for major airlines computer systems.... When we first started the market was fairly new and was slow, but the last few years the market has really opened up and orders have poured in from other "Consumer based" markets... Audio, video, computer, etc.. are starting to turn to fiber optics. I agree with Jerome, the markets are definitely turning and the consumers will reap the rewards.  Now all we need is for graphene (pure carbon) to hit the electronics market and we'll really be set smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

thanks Guys! That's more than I imagined! I met a fellow last week who has a home studio here in St. John's NL, canada who showed me his cables as being optics...I thought it was the whole set up but perhaps it's only some of his equipment. I'll see if I can find out some more about this and let y'all know.

s.