Topic: Guild

Any Chordians play a Guild ? 

Got to play one made in 1963 and must say played very well.
Great action and great sound. Looked old and faded and was a joy to jam on.

badeye

one caper after another

Re: Guild

Never played one personally but have always heard that the older Guilds were real jems! I think they went through a bad period in the 80's on into the 90's... Just what I've heard/read. They've really came back hard in the last few years though and are pushing out some really fine bang for the buck guitars..

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

Never played one personally but have always heard that the older Guilds were real jems! I think they went through a bad period in the 80's on into the 90's... Just what I've heard/read. They've really came back hard in the last few years though and are pushing out some really fine bang for the buck guitars..

Hey Pix , whats your fav acoustic in your arsenal ? I bought an old Hondo remake of a hummingbird that sounds great, 50 bucks at a pawn shop. I keep looking for oldies.

badeye

one caper after another

Hey Badeye, Oldies.. I think it's hard to beat Yairi's smile My favorite acoustic is a '79 Yairi DY50 LE #31 of 900 made. It was built in 79 with an antique cedar top and burled mahogany back and sides. Just a great sounding and playing guit IMO. I've been searching for a '73 Yairi.. It's my birth year and I'd like to have one from then.
  My next favorite is a S&P Showcase Rosewood AER that I got about 6 months or so ago... She's a real jem smile Playability and tone is just perfect for me but still not as good as that old worn out DY50.
I hear ya about the old lawsuit copy models. Some of those were really great guitars! Old Hondo, Ibanez, Takamines, etc... Some great stuff to be found there if you get a good one, which it sounds like you did smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Cool stuff Pix, I seen the pics of your Yairi on the soundhile thread , it's a gem.

badeye.

one caper after another

6 (edited by dino48 2009-10-21 02:49:07)

Hi badeye,I did own one in the late nineteen seventies,I was inspired by john denvers playing one at the time.it was truly the best acoustic I have ever owned,right up there with the martins. I got married an we had a baby,so I needed more money and I had to sell it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey Badeye ,
   I've got three Guilds , a '99 F-65 , a '97 F-30 , and a '65 F-30 ... I play them all , but prefer the F-30s ... The '65 F-30 is one of my guitars that I don't take out , so it does'nt get played a lot ... BTW , what model was the one you played ??
                                 Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Hi GSE, the guitar had a five digit number on the back of the headstock but the party was in full swing so I didnt copy it down. Considering a Guild for my next acoustic.

Dino, sorry to hear you had to sell it, baby's come first tho.

badeye.

one caper after another

Sorry Badeye ,
   What I meant to ask was what style was it , ie concert , jumbo or dreadnaught ... Mine are concert or what some folks call mini-jumbos ... My little brother had a Guild D-4 which is a dread and I really liked the sound of that thing ... I should have bought it when he sold it , except that the guy who bought it offered him 350.00 more than he paid for it , L O L ...
                                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

ooops , it was a dreadnaught, looked like a plain jane thing but played very nice.

badeye.

one caper after another

Hey! I love guilds. Recently bought a GAD 25.... can't complain at all.  Love every aspect of the guitar, though I like wider necks. that's just personal tho. Plays great.
My friend has a guild 35 or something like it that's just amazing....

Guilds are fantastic; you'll never hear differently. It's one of those brands on my "someday" list.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Badeye,

I play a 25 year old Guild F45-CE, jumbo body Mahogany back, sides & neck, spruce top, florentine cut (lower register cut away) with a B-Band A2 saddle pick up and preamp. I just picked up a Carvin Cobalt C980T(10-24-09), Jumbo body, Rosewood sides & back, Mahogany neck, spruce top Fishman matrix with preamp definately worth the money(less than the Taylor 214CE I was going to buy) plays like an electric. I picked up because I'm in a new worship band and getting my new acoustic band (Soulshine) together doing all acoustic (amplified of course) classic rock, motown, r&b and blues. 3 guitar players, bass & drums, two lead singers male & female and the rest doing alot of harmonies. I love mine.

Regards,

Bootlegger,
Bootlegger guitars.

I had owned a Guild student guitar thay I got in Boston in the 70s it was a great guitar. I took it to  guitar shop for some minor repair and when I came back the shop was gone. So Sad

great post's...     that "63 may be for sale , i have first go at it, when it happens   it's mine. 

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

Back when I started playing in the mid-70s, there were two camps for acoustic guitars.  You had the Martin players, and the Guild players.   They both ferociously defended their views....   Often to the point of silliness.

A good friend of ours always played a big jumbo Guild.    I didn't care for it; I thought it was too strong in the bass

Bikewer wrote:

too strong in the bass

Is that possible?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yea Zurf ,
   I've never even heard of an acoustic putting out too much bass ... It's all subjective though , like a lot of other aspects regarding tone ... I've always prefered an acoustic that is capable of some good bass ... My newest Guild , ( top of the line F-65CE ) that I bought new in '99 , has always been a disappointment as far as bass output goes , whether it's plugged in or not ... Great guitar otherwise ...
                                                           Jerry

In the string-band context, a bass-heavy guitar was often preferred; the guitar taking the place of the bass for the most part.   I remember going to a fiddle contest once and one band had a guitar picker with an old rosewood Martin that just "cut through" like crazy.  You could hear that thumping boom over the other instruments.

Great for live playing.   However, drove a lot of recording engineers nuts back then.   A lot of players preferred the more-balanced instruments for recording.

Hi Bikewer ,
      Yes , I agree , when I'm recording , or should say , when I used to record , then I always used something a little brighter ... But then , I could lay down the bass track seperately ... I guess the reason I like a bass heavy guitar is because we don't have a bass player in my band and the rhythm player depends on me to lay down a bass line for the songs that need it , L O L .........
                                                      Jerry

I've got a 72 guild 12 string that just sounds great.  Unfortunately, its in bad need of a neck reset. Until I come up with the funds for that, I'm keeping it tuned in open G and playing slide on it. It's really amazing how good this guitar sounds.  I just wish it had been taken better care of before I got it in 1994.  Regardless of all of that, the sound is just great. It's a really well balanced instrument; Sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides.  You really can't beat that combination.  Especially when you put it in a Jumbo shape.

Now available in 5G !