Topic: Is there a easy substitute chord that will work for Bm?

I'm trying to play Pancho and Lefty and I don't quite have the skills yet to move to and from the Bm chord.  Does anyone have a suggestion of an easier chord to use until I can master the Bm shift?  The rest of the song is pretty easy but I ahve not found a chord yet on my own that seems to fit....

Thanks!

Merry Christmas!

JD

JD ~  My mind is like Lightning.  One brilliant flash and it's gone!

Re: Is there a easy substitute chord that will work for Bm?

Howdy and welcome,

I play this song in the key of G  and  you will have a Em. You can transpose it to G by going to the right side of the screen and where it says transpose go +5 will get you to G from D.  I transpose it to G to fit my voice you may have to use a capo and find the right key for your voice.

The part where it goes      (Em )  Begin to cry when you said  (C )  good  (B ) by  D   

From the Em   I  hit a single note  C on the  3rd fret  of the 5th string  then to the 2nd fret of the  5th string for the B note then

hit the fourth string open that is your open D note and then strum through for a D chord

Later, Wayne P

"I transpose it to G to fit my voice" ... I've heard that somewhere before ... hmmmm... smile

Here's Walbaye's version:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6_eBNM0Eu8 
He's still working on mixing it for better quality, but if you want to "hear" what he's talking about... he's pretty darn good!

WELCOME TO CHORDIE!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'd also recommend practicing the Bm in the meanwhile.  It's in all sorts of songs and will come in handy. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I too have not mastered the BM chord but for now I am using an abbreviated version with just the G B and  high E strings.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Thanks for the feedback folks! 

I will try to learn the make this chord work.  It's a bit too low for me in G and the capo just doesn't do it for me on this one...

Love the song!  I listened to the youtube version by Walbaye.  He reminds me of Tom T. Hall!

JD ~  My mind is like Lightning.  One brilliant flash and it's gone!

I know one. Recently I've been playing on stage with guitar at my church and although I can play Bm pretty well it gets to be a pain after a while I do a Bm that's a little different when the transition is a little to awkward and I don't have time to practice as much as I would need to. The simplified version looks a lot like the D chord except on the G string you play a B rather than a C# it get's almost the exact same sound (unless the chord you just played was D, in that case just add the next note to Bm going down to make it stick out a little)

So far this had worked out just fine : D

no audience required.

Zurf wrote:

I'd also recommend practicing the Bm in the meanwhile.  It's in all sorts of songs and will come in handy. 

- Zurf

I'm gonna go with Zurf on this one.  Plus you're going to be pleased with Bm after a reasonable short amount of practice.  Good luck.
Steve

when I'm going in and out of barre chords, I've learned a different set of fingerings for the normal chords that would be those I use for barre minus the first finger. The first is kept ready to barre with when sliding up the neck

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

There is a way to make a satisfactory Bm without a barre (similar to the grip for a 4-string, 3-finger F chord).
-  Fret the high E and the B with the pad of the index finger fret 2
-  Fret the B (also) with the middle finger fret 3 (I'll explain below)
-  Fret the G with the little finger fret 4
-  Fret the D with the ring finger fret 4
-  Fret the low E with the thumb fret 2 and also mute the A with the thumb (This is optional.  If you don't do it then just play the four high strings.)

I use two fingers on the same string in this chord for a couple of reasons:
1.  Your grip is more secure when you fret both the high E and the B with the index (as opposed to just the E), and
2.  This particular grip will allow you to alternate between Bm and Bsus2 simply by lifting the middle finger.   (Example:  the bridge in Bob Seger's "Mainstreet".)

I often find that techniques I learn or discover for myself, while they may not be the "right" way to do something, work just fine, and make my guitar playing more enjoyable for me.  I'm not planning on being a pro, so if I find something that works I'm not too much of a purist to use it.

'Nomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I play pancho and lefty in the key of G. I have trouble going straight to the BM when playing. Since being able to do the barre chord about 2 months ago i am constantly practicing it but still keep pausing to get my fingers in correct position.

Keep at it Hopeful!  That's the spirit!  Two months isn't very long after all.  By the time you've played it 1,000 times, you'll have it down pat.  No, I am not joking about the number.  Of course, you can just practice that little transition part ssssssslllllloooooowwwwwlllllllyyyyyyyy and then speed it up once you can make the transition IN TIME AND WITHOUT PAUSING.  Figure out what speed you can do it and do it in time.  Then play it that way a zillion times until it's smooth and allow yourself to increase the speed so long as you can still make the transition IN TIME.  Then you'll own it for sure!!!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude