Topic: Playing out has never been more rewarding ...

A physically handicapped lady friend of ours lives in a subsidized apartment bldg in Fargo for the handicapped and elderly ... About a month ago she asked if I would want to come and play there for the tenants ... I told her I would if the weather cooperates ( since my band does'nt book much during the winter )... Well we set it up for this last Saturday ... I went and set up my P.A. and played some of my favorite songs for them ... I was a little nervous because I rarely do solo gigs ... Those folks had the time of their lives , and so did I ... A few were even dancing ... I played for about two and a half hours and about every half hour I'd go out for a short break and I had to walk through the tables to get out ... Every time I went out or came back in these folks would be grabbing my hands to thank me for coming to play for them , and asking if I would please come back again and I kept saying of course I would ... Well when I got done and was tearing down equipment , one of the caregivers came up to me with a little basket ... When I asked her what that was , she said it was tip money for me from the residents ( almost fifty bucks ) ... I told her to give it back because I did'nt come to play for money ... She just smiled and said she could'nt and would'nt so I had to take it ... After seeing it was hopeless , I did accept it and asked her to thank everyone ... My real reward was seeing those folks enjoy the music ... I talked to our friend on the phone this morning and one of the older ladies that was there has a ninty fifth birthday coming in February and when her kids asked her what she wanted for her birthday she told them see wanted Jerry to come and play for them again , so I guess I have to , L O L ........
                                                     Jerry
                                                 Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Re: Playing out has never been more rewarding ...

Great Story Jerry !

A gig like that is sure good for the self esteem isn't it smile

Later, Wayne P

AWESOME story!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Very cool Jerry - Well done !!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Excellent.  Makes you feel good all over.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Great stuff GSE , kudos to you.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Wait a go Jerry big_smile
You not only brightened up their day...you did a pretty job here on board Chordie.

Kudos and Merry Christmas to you Sir. big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Great Job Jerry,

I really commend you for what you did. The elderly appreciate things like that so much. I'm sure they'll be even more excited when you go back. I think it would be great if you dedicated a song to the lady with the birthday next time, a special song just for her. 

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

A lotta folks I play music with go to retirement communities and play reguarly. This is something I would like to do but since I am only home a couple of weekends a month it's hard to do. The people there really make you feel welcome and look forward to you coming back.

Nela

Last year John Reno (guitar) and I (tuba) played a Christmas party at a old folks home in Montrose, Alabama. The folks laughed, clapped and sang along. One lady up front would say, " I liked that one, play it again." after every song and soon had us laughing so hard we could barely play on.
Santa showed up and was he ever a hoot. He lit 'em up until he gave out of gifts and then he asked to sing with us. Man, that guy could really  cut up and sang up a storm with us. He had to be the coolest Santa ever. We hated to see that party end.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Great thing to do gse you wont find much better crowds then them,If you ever get a chance and have some time try going to a vetrens hospital,they love bands just as much,but it is hard to see the conditionof some of our military wounded or disabled,you will notbe sorry you went there. You can call them if there is one in your area.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks everyone ...
    I was more thankfull to them for having me , ( must be one of those selfish "feel good " things , L O L ) ...
    You're right Wayne , it does wonders for the self confidence ... As I said , I don't often do solo , and even doing most of the lead vocals and guitar work in my band , just is'nt the same as going solo ... I think that the more I do of this , the more I'll want to do , L O L ...
    Dino , we've played a few benefits at our local VFW club where the proceeds were going directly to the patients at the vets hospital in Fargo , and have talked a few times about just going there to play ...
    Thanks Cam , that's a great idea ... I'll have to come up with something just for her ... If anyone has any ideas for something without too much learning time involved , ( if I don't already know it ), that would be great ...
    It's funny , but at first , I was a little worried that they would'nt like some of the more " rock and roll " stuff that I like to do , so I left my 335 elect. at home and just brought a A/E six string and my A/E twelve string ... But I tested the water with CCR and another favorite of mine , America's " Sister Golden Hair ", ( which I do plenty fast and loud ) , and that's the stuff they wanted to dance to , L O L ...
                                                                           Jerry
                                                          Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Way to go, Jerry. Good for you,

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

There she was,  almost 95,  dancing in the isle, doing the high five,  all her friends were rockin' too,  gimme a kiss,  you naughty rock 'n roller, who said i need to walk with a stroller,  they all had fun, they all danced too,  kicking up their heels,  forget about going to the zoo,  it was fun,  it wore them all out,  i'm 95, look at me twist and shout,  we want you back,  you naughty rock 'n
roller, next year i'll be 96,  and we're going to do this all over.
Maybe you can use this, or add to it, for your next performance.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Back when I was in a big band we played quarterly at a facility that provided long term nursing care to the elderly.  I was about 17 years old at the time, and even now 27 years later I can "see" some of the images in my mind.  Two come to mind most clearly.  One was an elderly lady who was entirely crippled by a stroke except she could move her right hand just enough to control the joystick on an electric wheelchair.  She danced by wiggling her hand while she was sitting there in the chair.  The second one that comes to mind was a bed-ridden woman who had been wheeled down.  After the first couple songs, she called over a candy-striper and asked her to pull the blanket off her feet.  She didn't have the strength to move the blankets herself.  The next song we did she was tapping her feet together.  That's as close as she could get to dancing, but by God she was going to do it and those blankets were getting in the way. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Way to go! I have never failed to be blessed for putting out a little effort for others.
I have a similar deal coming up on Christmas day. Will give report on another thread after the fact.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Good on yer.

Jerry, we are proud that you reached your audience with well-written songs delivered with sincerity. Your talent and enthusiasm overcame any unfamliarity with new (to them) music.
They enjoyed you and you enjoyed them. That is how it's supposed to work. Both you and your audience are richer for the experience.
Congratulations,
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I said I would post this update on a new thread but it fits  this one so here goes.
I took my guitar and Christmas music down to the local prison. My pastor went with me. I broke the ice with a Chuck Berry song
(not really Christmas) called My Ding a Ling.Then I did about 5 more traditional Christmas Carols. By the  time we got through with Silent Night about 25 or so were singing along. These same folks stood through the singing and the pastors message. You wouldn't believe the words of encouragement that followed. We were only there a little over an hour but what a blessing we received.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Great stuff deadstring.

Heres the song we sang to our 100 year old  friend. Her only complaint at her birthday bash was " the music finished to early ! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OASSebQclSw

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

And I bet she meant it!
Have a Happy New Year! It will be time to start preparing for the 101st birthday before you realize it.

Welcome Casey!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Casey is my 10 year old grandson who I am very proud of. He is learning guitar very quickly. I just have to teach his grandma to keep him off of her computer. smile