Topic: Guitar Stuff NOT to buy your kid this Christmas

I'm posting because I was in ToysRUs and a young mother is holding a toy electric guitar and she's on the cell phone to (I'm assuming) the dad saying "I'm PRETTY SURE it's REAL, because it's heavy."  Not picking on off name brands here, just suspecting a lot of parents want to get a music gift on a budget.

So don't shop for an instrument from a place with no guitarists on the staff.

Steve

Re: Guitar Stuff NOT to buy your kid this Christmas

Hey there Steve, glad to see your still around (ocasionally).

I totally thought of the same thing you posted, but pro toys r us. A friend of mine has a 3 year old that is semi autistic. He loves the guitar. I'm trying to inspire his dad to play. Anyway, I thought that if the 3 year old wants to learn then he should pick up an inexpensive electric for him to start on. Seeing as an electric is supposed to be easier to play, fretting wise, and as an autistic child he might be a little rough with it. Child sized also.
I sorta think that stores like toys r us and even target, have instuments that would be fine for a child that shows some interest. Thet're inexpensive enough that if they don't stick with it then you haven't lost out on a huge investment. I can't imagine that they play very well, which would be a hinderance in learning. But I think they actually do serve a purpose.

Just my 2 cents

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitars from Wal~Mart in a cardboard box. I saw one the other day. A purple on white "Hannah Montana" acoustic. $70. A granddad type tossed it into the back of a pickup truck. (25 degrees outside.) I'd estimate $55 worth of Hannah Montana and at most $15 worth of cheap labor, shipping, handling, and parts. Go figure.

That being said...Yesterday I bought a "First Act" Volkswagen Edition. One of the guitars that was given away with the purchase of a volkswagen car. That was a unique marketing ploy, eh?

...back to the subject. It will be sad that a lot of kids will get these cheap quality guitars, become totally discouraged and never play again. My first guitar was a 3/4 Yamaha acoustic. Aside from socks and underwear, that's what I got for Christmas that year. Best gift I ever had! Not very expensive, good quality and playability. Thanks Mom. You ROCK!!!

'nuff said,
david

Yeah, I said my dog doesn't bite, but that's not my dog.

After the shopping that I did this year online at a highly recommended site (by chordie members)... I have to agree about the toys R us guitars.  If you're going to pay $70 for a junky one there... you could have paid $70 plus shipping for a good one at rondo music.  I wanted to stop people that I saw in the toy store... but I knew they wouldn't listen to me... so I kept going.  I can say from personal experience with the first act brand (that my husband and I stupidly bought my son a few years ago when we didn't know better) that they are pure junk.  The action is so high that it's nearly impossible to fret the simplest chords.  Go to a music store and pay $30 for a lauren for a 3 year old... not great, but still 100 times better than the junk in the toy stores!  Not only that, but on the slightly higher end... I was looking at Squires for my husband... I paid less at rondo and I'm 100% sure I got a whole lot more!!!  No... it's wrapped and still in the box so I can't say for sure... but just the specs are amazing when you compare.  MOM's, DAD's, GRANDPARENTS ... buy toys at Toys R Us... buy guitars at guitar stores!  The toy stores are ripping you off!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

brainsaladsurgeon wrote:

Guitars from Wal~Mart in a cardboard box. I saw one the other day. A purple on white "Hannah Montana" acoustic. $70. A granddad type tossed it into the back of a pickup truck. (25 degrees outside.) I'd estimate $55 worth of Hannah Montana and at most $15 worth of cheap labor, shipping, handling, and parts. Go figure.
david

I got my grand daughter the Hannah Montana electric guitar for her birthday... it's made by a reputable brand... same as the acoustic you can find on sale now.

Washburn... not exactly a cheap and nasty brand...

acoustic
http://www.rdm-entertainments.co.uk/pro … rod=HNDA34

electric (telecaster style)
http://www.rdm-entertainments.co.uk/pro … rod=HNDE34

I also have done a complete setup on the guitar myself, it wasn't that far out.

got hers for the bargain price of £49.99...

She has a reputation to hold up with her fans and she isn't putting her name on cheap and nasty guitars...

her first endorsement was with Daisy Rock and those guitars are hard to find now...

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

Good deal manicbassman... not the same as the junk we find at wal-mart here in the states tho!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

After the shopping that I did this year online at a highly recommended site (by chordie members)... I have to agree about the toys R us guitars.  If you're going to pay $70 for a junky one there... you could have paid $70 plus shipping for a good one at rondo music.  I wanted to stop people that I saw in the toy store... but I knew they wouldn't listen to me... so I kept going.  I can say from personal experience with the first act brand (that my husband and I stupidly bought my son a few years ago when we didn't know better) that they are pure junk.  The action is so high that it's nearly impossible to fret the simplest chords.  Go to a music store and pay $30 for a lauren for a 3 year old... not great, but still 100 times better than the junk in the toy stores!  Not only that, but on the slightly higher end... I was looking at Squires for my husband... I paid less at rondo and I'm 100% sure I got a whole lot more!!!  No... it's wrapped and still in the box so I can't say for sure... but just the specs are amazing when you compare.  MOM's, DAD's, GRANDPARENTS ... buy toys at Toys R Us... buy guitars at guitar stores!  The toy stores are ripping you off!  smile

Hey MKM...props for Rondo Music!!!!!!! Glad you had good luck. Simply, the finest inexpensive guitar site on the internet. Agile, SX, Douglas I've owned at least one of each and they are worth at least double what you pay. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

8 (edited by AccoustikNoyz 2009-12-23 22:43:18)

Have to agree with Manic
Washburn... not exactly a cheap and nasty brand...

acoustic
http://www.rdm-entertainments.co.uk/pro … rod=HNDA34

electric (telecaster style)
http://www.rdm-entertainments.co.uk/pro … rod=HNDE34

Have to agreen Washburn makes mostly good stuff.  I've bought two and no complaints. 

Whole idea isn't to cut down some good entry level stuff,  but to steer away from imitation guitars and amps.

I stand corrected. I had no idea you get an actual instrument for that cheap. I will have to keep Rondo in mind.

Are the guitars found at Rondo any good?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I know i am little late for this year, or early depending on how you look at it. My first guitar was a acoustic my mom bought used at a pawn shop. she took along a friend of the famialy to check it out. I loved it, however I dont remember just what it was. I had a friend got a Sears guitar and he picked at it for month or so, then laid it down.

Honestly if your on a budget like most people are these days, it is good idea to shop of good quaility used guitars. This will extend your dollars alot. If you must get a new guitar in a box and all that, you really cant go wrong with the Yamaha Gig Maker Deluxe package, comes with everyting u need to get started and a nice solid top guitar, if u want to save few buck just get the standard packiage about $150 and the top is laminate, for a starter both are good items.

I bought my daughter a "CARLY" acoustic guitar at Wal Mart.Made by Carlo Robelli. Surprisingly, It was a really good guitar.Her friend has it now and is learning to play on that. That is the exception though. They are usually First Act. I have never bought one but everyone I know that has bought one says they are junk. Same deal with target. The washburn`s are called Lyon by Washburn and the fender`s are called starcaster`s.Actually, first act has some really high end equipment you will never see at a toy store. Look at their website. What is really sad is some of the junk people try to sell on craigslist. I don`t know how many times I`ve seen epi`s sold as gibsons or starcaster`s sold as fenders etc etc. Some poor unsuspecting parent could easily be sucked into that.Which is why I always say to take someone with you that has knowledge.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

12 (edited by naolslager 2012-04-22 10:57:09)

AccoustikNoyz wrote:

"I'm PRETTY SURE it's REAL, because it's heavy."

This is hilarious...and sad.

I could cue up another Monty Python quote regarding the "She's a witch!" scene but I'll leave that to your imagination.

p.s. I've wanted to intervene in other people's purchasing decision so many times. It pains me to see them shopping with NO knowledge of what they are looking for.

naolslager wrote:
AccoustikNoyz wrote:

"I'm PRETTY SURE it's REAL, because it's heavy."

This is hilarious...and sad.

I could cue up another Monty Python quote regarding the "She's a witch!" scene but I'll leave that to your imagination.

p.s. I've wanted to intervene in other people's purchasing decision so many times. It pains me to see them shopping with NO knowledge of what they are looking for.

On the flipside of that coin, it does feel good when you can help a friend or relatives kids by steering them away from junk like that.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I have experienced the "flip side", very rewarding.

i have experianced with a pick and it needs a bit of practice to get uced to.

keep practercing!!!

If you are using a amplefigher and you are turning it up its highist,remember to wear ear plugs.
Keep playing.I love it.

how do you record you own ritten music if you have got a band.

What guitar accessories do you find most helpful.

hi tho2,

welcome to chordie. there are not many rules but we do expect you to abide by them. one of the biggest rules is not to use someone else's thread to ask your own questions, as you have done here and on another forum. most of us do this when we first join and get put in the right direction.

so...what you should do;

1st, decide what your question is about
2nd, decide which forum best suits your question
3rd, as we are all a very friendly bunch check for replies.

NB. when you go to the correct forum at the top right hand side you'll find "POST NEW TOPIC" click there and you can put your question to the members.

your main question seems to be how to record your band? this should go to the "recording forum."

hope this helps

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I've never bought anything from Rondo Music although I have visited their site. I did however get my lefty acoustic/electric from Musicians Discount Warehouse  http://www.musiciansdiscountwarehouse.com/index.html  . A fine sounding entry level guitar bought as a second (a small chip on the back of the neck and a couple of small chips at the bottom of the fretboard) . They handle everything from acoustics to P.A.systems and great prices. I'm considering getting a left handed electric in the near future from them. Take a look at their stuff. My acoustic needed no set up and sounds great for a cheap thin  body. Who knows, you may find a gem.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway