Topic: Lessons begin tonight

Hi Everyone,

I had mentioned in another post that my Wife had paid for me to get 6 months of lessons for Christmas. I start those lessons tonight, I'm really excited about it and ready to go. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the things I should mention to my instructor as to what I am hoping to learn as far as the type of music I'm interested in. I hoping to learn things along the lines of John Prine and related artists. I need help as far as bass runs go. I hoping to learn how to move up and down the neck of the guitar, maybe different strumming patterns, as I've kinda got stuck on songs that use only a couple of them. So if anyone has any suggestions on anything I's really appreciate it.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Lessons begin tonight

Tear it up! 

Tell the instructor what you hope to get out of the next six months.  Then shut up and listen.  That's my only advice. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Cam ,
   Good luck with the lessons you lucky dog ...
                                                                            Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Sounds like you have plenty of good ideas in mind already Cam. Fingerpicking patterns (i.e. Prine) is definitely where I would begin my lessons.

Let us know how it goes!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey Cam, best of luck. Having someone right next to you in person is the best way to learn as long as they can play the way you want. Recently I got on jamplay and it has been excellent. Have you considered this route? Take care,Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

The next Stevie Ray Vaughan coming up.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Best of luck cam ! hope it all goes well for you, let us know how its coming along.

cheers.

gag.

Strats Rule Forever !!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had a couple of bad experiences with guitar instructurs in that they wanted to show-off what they knew and what they could do more than teach. My suggestion is for you to have a game plan on the direction you want to go and, for the 1st lesson, spend all the time needed in explaining that to the teacher. The 1st lesson should be kinda a "interview" between you and the instructor, even if you never take your guitar from the case. Explain your wants, needs and goals, remember you ARE paying so the control belongs to you, listen to the instructor, determine his / her qualifications, his / her style and experience level. I've also had good instructors so keep an open mind, ask questions and learn. Let us know how things progress.

Nela

Good on ya Cam smile

Sounds like your wife's a keeper. Hope you get all you can get out of the lessons. Can't go wrong learning John Prine. When you get it down please post a youtube vid. big_smile

Good call Nela...I've never taken lessons but I can see a lot of folks letting the instructor dictate what and how he wants to teach.

Sound Advise

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Everyone,

Well I'm back from my first lesson and things went fine. It was kinda like Nela said, it was more of an interview than anything else, I told him what I liked, what I hoped to learn, and what I wanted to get out of it. It started with him asking what I hoped to get out of it and what direction I wanted to go, so I took that as a good start. He even knew some John Prine songs so that was great. He also knew of Chordie so that was another plus. I told him I was sure I had a boat load of bad habits from trying to learn on my own so he had me run few a few things and told me that I needed to keep my elbow futher away from my side for one thing, that would allow me to get an F barre chord easier and to work on keeping my thumb in one place for the chords I was hitting. I told him I had gotted lazy with my A chord and was not getting a good clean sound from it, I use to hit it clean but I guess I'm not anymore, anyway he showed me how to get it with two fingers instead of three, or as some people do with one. So it's on to next week and we'll see how that goes. I really appreciate everyone's well wishes, thanks so much.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Pleased it went well for you cam. A good teacher is worth his/her weight in gold !

cheers.
gag.

Strats Rule Forever !!!!!!!!!!!!